Club Arnage
May 02, 2024, 04:36:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Missed.....  (Read 5978 times)
Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2010, 01:53:27 am »

Hi folks,

I'm gutted that I have missed 6-8 months of the general banter, but hey, I think I'm still here in some form.

To those going to the Haloed ground this June, I wish you all .... well a frigging good time. I'll be getting updates online or 'phone.

As a matter of interest. Having been to LM for many years, I've never really noticed but, is there easy access for wheel chairs?

Not needed yet but 2011 is a most probable. In a way I'm looking forward to it:- a customised 'cart' and racing!!!! I can even run some barstewards down..............................

This is a generall posting, to those that know me I shall PM to give detailed update.

I'm in tears thinking that I'm missing my 2nd LM on a trot.  IT AINT ON, IS IT!!!!

As a matter of interest (desperation) has anyone got two camping tickets available? These are for some dear friends and fellow sheepshaggers that I normally camp with.

There are lots of changes here, so will keep you informed.

Leftie

« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 01:59:24 am by Leftie » Logged

At my age, it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night!!!!!!!!!!!
Then, growing old is compulsary, but growing up is just optional.

I don't do GREEN, I've got a 4x4
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 10:09:28 am »

We've missed you too.

I have been meaning to write this up for the guide but have never got round to it.  I did manage the race in a chair last year but I'll admit that most of the time I had two helpers so I was lucky.  But then what's CA for but to help each other out in a crisis?

If you have a blue badge you are undoubtedly better off as you can park inside the circuit alongside the wall behind the main grandstands.  With a disabled badge you can also get cheap tickets for yourself and one other person, but you need to talk to the ACO about this. (I'll try to find out a bit more). Otherwise it's a question of making your way across some pretty bumpy ground to get from Bleu (or wherever) to the main stands.

There is a stonking viewing area on the South end of the MB grandstand (thanks Christopher for pointing this out to me last year) and  you can take a helper (in fact they let both of mine go up there with me early Sunday morning.)  The village, as you know, is a bit steep in places but with help you can get around and into most of the little shops.  If you have a modern lightweight wheelchair and have mastered the "kerb mounting" technique, or an electric one, you'll do better than with a hefty thing like mine, comfy as it is.

No doubt you do a bit better if you can manage a few steps (as I can on crutches) and have help but even without you'd manage and have a good time.  I was really delighted at how well I got on myself.

There's a lot more to this but I've got an appointment with the surgeon in an hour and the ambulance is due so I'll get back to you.

Bon courage - like wot they say around here. Smiley

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 11:23:09 am »

@Leftie
That doesn't sound good - I hope I'll meet you next year again then!

@Deb
If you can find the time for a few lines about this topic next week, that would be great, especially because I guess you could collect first hand experience in this last year. The respective chapter in the wiki is at http://www.clubarnage.com/wiki/doku.php?id=ca_guide:visitors-with-disabilities. I wrote something in it for a start, but not much.

I somehow have the feeling that this chapter of the CA Guide will become more relevant for us in the next years, we're all getting older...

Cheers

Werner

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 12:23:03 pm »

Hey Leftie, I wondered where you've been, As Werner says, this doest not sound so good, all best wishes and  look forward to seeing you next year.
One of the things I saw at Le Mans that has always stuck in my mind as to summing up the Le Mans spirit was a bunch of about 8 guys of all ages, on a couple of ropes attached to a wheel chair to pull their mate through the quagmire that was the 2001 race. I, and I know many others here, would get on one of those ropes for you mate if you need it(cos if it was the otherway around I think you would be there for us), so start planning for next year. All the best, we will miss you.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 01:19:49 pm by Snoring Rhino » Logged
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 07:14:20 pm »

@Werner
I'll do my best!

So, Leftie, for more info', watch this space.....

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 04:45:30 am »

Debs,Werner, Rhino,

Many thaks for your thoughts and everyone who read this.

It would be great to have some imput 'alternative access' for the less abled amungst us.

Recently I've used a 'stick occasionally. The amount of people in supermarkets with trolley's that have knocked it away and have not apologised or even helped is unbelievable. Generally us brits (small b) are useless wasted aresholes. But CA members are just, ........................ what can I say?" just so friendly and helpfull. If the whole world was like us, just think.............

I need a tank sized buggy!!!!!

Debs, I hope everything with is getting on track (pun not intended).

I can only spend about 30mins every couple of days on the net, so have to think in advance and batch everything. Or I'm in pain.

Doc' saw me on Monday. more xrays booked next week on Thorasic area of spine.

termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 01:15:10 pm »

We'll have to have a special Disabled CAers t-shirt at this rate, Leftie!

I'm trying to get back my right to drive at the moment which is one of those silly bureacratic processes which one has to go through here.  It may take up to three months before I can have my official assessment which is going to b*gg*r up my hols in the UK a treat, to say nothing of the difficulty of getting all our stuff to the campsite for the race and the Classic (I take up twice as much space now due to wheelchair/bigger tent/loo etc etc.)

I have already done a more comprehensive piece for the guide about my "disabled" experience last year and hope to add to it again after the race when I've been able to do a bit more research.  We'll keep in touch running up to next year so you can be as well prepared as poss.  Good luck with the next stage of your treatment.  At least you've got 2011 to look forward to.... Smiley

nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 01:27:45 pm »

Leftie, hope everything goes well, will raise a glass for you over in LM

What u need is one of these for the supermarket (on Sleazy bay now!)  

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Dirk3D_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Fussballing for Holland!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 07:38:01 pm »

Leftie, hope everything goes well, will raise a glass for you over in LM

What u need is one of these for the supermarket (on Sleazy bay now!)  

can't agree more with our Neil,

hope you will be able to have a good time at La Sarthe again in 2011, all the best and will definately raise  a glass for you at LM!
Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 12:48:01 am »

Neil,

Plenty of room to pack the tent and kitchen sink in that. But would be difficult in the ailes of carrefors.

Love the idea though, already thought about a Goldwing Trike.

Main problem being a wheelchair, I would just go round in circles  Grin

Leftie

Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 02:42:52 am »

We'll have to have a special Disabled CAers t-shirt at this rate, Leftie! When the chance arrives, I'll investigate.

How about a montage.....

LMP 1 shaped wheelchair/buggy, Aero zimmer and tean coloured sticks.

About 4 years ago, we (Team Red Dragon) where thinking of building a body for an old electric buggy. A 'Charicature' shape for trolling around the 'track' at Expo.  But, it went to a better and usefull cause.

I'm now actively looking for a suitale bungalow, not just for me but for my Dad, and Ruth's Mum and Dad. (Should really think of buying an 'Old Peoples Home' or even a bloody hospital).

Can you imagine, the drive/carpark laid out as a circuit!!!!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: