Club Arnage
May 08, 2024, 07:33:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Your version of windows xp pro is not genuine"  (Read 4640 times)
redstu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Buuuuurp!

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2006, 11:57:43 am »

Not really the correct forum for this but I don't follow any of the pc tech ones.

Anyone else had this recently.

My PC recently did an xp autoupdate the came up with the above.

However I'm running genuine xp not xp pro.  The system locked up and I needed to switch off at the plug.

Seems to be ok now.

So either I've picked up a virus or the update made an error.

If its genuine then anyone who is mistakenly not running genuine xp best make sure that they don't have the autoupdate box ticked or you might be @@@@@red.
rcutler
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 12:50:21 pm »

Got that two weeks ago, revert using system recovery, then when the alert asks you to install the first  update you can cancell it and also tell it not to download that particular update. SORTED!!
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 01:38:38 am »

Ooh, that happened to mine too...

So, sytem restore and go back a few weeks and ignore updates?

Good advice but that update wasn't advised at all, just did itself on its own accord so how can I stop that?

Sad

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
LangTall
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Llama's kick ass!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 02:24:34 am »

This 'Not genuine' means that the registration key used by installing wasn't quite legal, Micro$oft sometimes brings new checks for that in their updates...

This film should be played at high volume, so don't come complaining about it! And who the hell is Steve?
redstu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Buuuuurp!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 10:49:46 am »

Mine now seems to be ok without needing to use system recovery, it is a genuine preinstalled with a new Dell PC version of xp so I was a bit miffed when it happened yesterday. My main worry was that it was a sign of a virus.
Jem
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 05:31:54 pm »

You chaps working with old fashioned techno need to update to a Mac ( Computings equivalent of an R8, 956, 962....), come on you know you want to!!!

Jem
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 07:24:15 pm »

You chaps working with old fashioned techno need to update to a Mac ( Computings equivalent of an R8, 956, 962....), come on you know you want to!!!

Jem

Ah, so Macs are nearly free then?

great.

I had a preloaded XP Home in my HP 'pooter which refused to boot after the warranty died, the special partition full of XP wouldn't play either so my mate had a go at it. When it came back online for me after about four hours of buggering about he said "it'll be OK but reads Professional now"...

Moral is "Now I'm B*ggered"

OH well...

Sad

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 09:31:03 am »

There are ways to stop the balloon appearing...search Google.
SmithA
CA Veteran

smithytours.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 09:49:55 am »

Auto Updates can be turned off by goin to the control panel (view it in the classic style) and you will see a icon for Automatic Updates you can change the settings from there.

Andy

LM 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07 - LMS Silverstone 05 - Donington 06 - Jarama 06 - Monza 07 - Valencia 07 - Silverstone 07
Rob
CA Veteran

i prefer 'em continental!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 10:41:15 am »

Jem

macs are only good if you want to edit videos

normal pc's are better for everything else

(ive never got on with macs)

also, being a user of a not too legit copy of xp pro, ive always done all the updates when its told me too and ive never had a problem

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 11:11:52 am »

A word of caution regarding XP Updates.  Updates, especially Critical updates, are generally released to repair a potential venerability that may be exploited by a worm, trojan or virus.

Steve East Anglian cobras

SmithA
CA Veteran

smithytours.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 11:24:05 am »

A word of caution regarding XP Updates. Updates, especially Critical updates, are generally released to repair a potential venerability that may be exploited by a worm, trojan or virus.

Very true but you can set it so it will download the patches and you can then go in to the updates when they show on the task bar near your clock, select custom install and then choose what updates you want to install. It is always best to make sure you take the critical updates.

Andy

LM 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07 - LMS Silverstone 05 - Donington 06 - Jarama 06 - Monza 07 - Valencia 07 - Silverstone 07
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: