Club Arnage
May 09, 2024, 12:41:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Black Balled'!!  (Read 6961 times)
Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2009, 09:21:34 pm »

No, not snooker or 'One for Mr Zarse'..

As a self employed engineer, I have worked on short and long term contracts with quite a few clients and more than once with some.
I have always tried to 'exit' under good friendly terms and I think this is the best way to go because you may work with them again.

I work in the construction industry, sometimes with councils but the majority of the time with major national and internation consultances.

That was the intro', now the outline.

After 6 months with a major consultancy with limited prospects for myself and very boring work, I resigned my temporary contract and departed on good terms. This was in January 2003.

That consultancy won a term contract with a government agency and now looks after the majority of the south east of england.

However, within this 'term contract', other consultancies are employed to 'assist' in the design etc. All of which I've been employed by and have good references and to this day still keep in contact with on a personal basis.

Outline over, NOW THE PROBLEM.......

This was told to me in confidence this afternoon by an ex-client of mine.  I have been Black Balled by the now 'manager' of the major term contract consultancy. Which basically means I'm unemployable south of Watford and by another 'division' stretching down to Lands End.

No reasons were given.

Most of my work has been for thier 'client' and I'm approved by thier 'client' to undertake these works at the highest level.

What would you do?

My initial thoughts are:-

• Confront the b*****d,
  • Write to his superior and copied to his client,
  • As I am registered disabled, claim discrimination. (I have never in 32yrs used my disability as an excuse, in fact I make fun of it)
  • I'm approaching 58 and still very capable, so claim age descrimination.
  • Or just forget it and look elsewhere.

Your views please.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 09:25:51 pm by Leftie » Logged

At my age, it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night!!!!!!!!!!!
Then, growing old is compulsary, but growing up is just optional.

I don't do GREEN, I've got a 4x4
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 09:37:27 pm »

Tread carefully.  Lots of angles to it.

The ex-client has told you something in confidence - he may not want to be named in any correspondence; and are there any other motives for his saying it?

As you are self-employed, presumably the term contractor contracts you onto the jobs on an ad-hoc, job-by-job basis, thus avoiding formally employing you and gioving you employee rights?

If your work has genuinely been affected - i.e you are not getting any - is it because of being black-balled, or has the term contractor just cut down on using agencies, other consultancies or self-employed individuals to improve margins in a difficult climate?

What other options are open to you - presumably the term contractor is not controlling all work acorss the whole region?

Old military saying - you might be right, but when the sh*t really flies it sticks to everyone, so beware of self-induced friendly fire.....

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 09:56:49 pm »

simple question, 'black balled' how sure are you that you have been?  It would seem you have only one persons word?  Would this person have a reason to do this?
Absolutly, can you veirify this from another source, someone else in a similar position, you do have to tread carefully, but if its comfirmed, you have to think about how you can open it out and discus it and try and clear the air.
Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 10:06:27 pm »

simple question, 'black balled' how sure are you that you have been?  It would seem you have only one persons word?  Would this person have a reason to do this?

The person that told me is a friend who used to be my boss. I'm in regular contact with him and we meet occasional for a drink, he also came to LM with me and is hoping to come this year.

Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 10:11:43 pm »

Absolutly, can you veirify this from another source, someone else in a similar position, you do have to tread carefully, but if its comfirmed, you have to think about how you can open it out and discus it and try and clear the air.

I'm in the process through another source of finding out. It will be done next week by an 'insider' who is a very old friend and confidant.

Lord Pig-Pen
Club Arnage God

it's all a bit much at my age.... Ich Habe.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 11:25:54 pm »

Its a dodgy line to persue and you have to be sure before you do anything about it.
I had a similar issue with a council who used to have a football team in the premier league. I had done nothing wrong but was given the same treatment, purely due to one manager covering his ass for his failings...
Same thing happened in a town further down the coast when myself and colleague accidently found out about management issues that were very serious... end of contract.
However, I am still on the books of all the consultants I have been with for years, and still get work, so cant moan.

I did hear many stories from ex work mates after it had happened but nothing that would stand up, even if they had testified at a tribunal... a temp is a temp and the hourly rate reflects that.
I have been offered more work for the town with the ex premiership football team since said manager has gone so I guess Black Balling is a personal vendetta thing rather than company wide.... for me anyway.

Best one ever was when working in  a town that used to be our capital city... There were 2 of us as temp Surveyors, a fat grumpy sexually frustrated hag in the office (with a desk covered in teddies) and conversation lead to how do "you" agency guys get paid so much for driving around doin nothing all day...

My response was "because were qualified"... next day... let go due to being reported drunk at work...
That hurt the most... So much time to get drunk... the un qualified really dont understand.... work is the last place to do it... I wont touch a drop during work hours...

Rant Over!

What do you mean dust?.... Thats not dust, this is dust! Ich Habe Honda S2000 and its not mine!
Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 11:49:00 pm »

My response was "because were qualified"... next day... let go due to being reported drunk at work...

Met the same, group engineer with Level 2 NVQ!! and there's me with an HNC and a Degree. OK I'm not 'chartered', but expertese and experience they have to pay for.

Bentley boy
CA Veteran

A quoi bon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 08:50:26 pm »

This has been in the news today http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7928807.stm
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: