Club Arnage
May 12, 2024, 06:12:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Grand Prix saboteurs  (Read 3594 times)
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« on: January 17, 2015, 04:51:59 pm »

As one of my gifts this Xmas I recieved this book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Grand-Prix-Saboteurs-Drivers/dp/0955486807

Written by joe saward it tells the true story of the resistance work undertaken by pre war racing drivers who gave their names to some of the grandstands we are familliar with at Le Mans. Indeed Le Mans features in several places as it was also the home to a very active resistance cell.

Most did not get to see the end of the war as they were betrayed, seemingly by a relative and were executed in prisons, mostly just before the end of the war.

In places the narrative is a bit confusing but it's well worth a read.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 05:56:24 pm »

Wasn't Wimille (or somebody who has a stand named after them) one of them

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 06:14:58 pm »

Yes, J P Wimille was part of the group. He survived the war, but Benoist and Grover Williams did not.

Both Wimille and Benoist have Granstands named in their honour. The book really revolves around those 3 and the way their exploits were intertwined with other agents & the SOE back in the UK.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 06:20:48 pm by Nordic » Logged

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 10:39:03 am »

Another good book on Grover-Williams is "Early one morning" by Robert Ryan.

There is also a theory that Grover-Williams wasnt executed, but lived on under a new identity.

I did a presentation on him a few years back when I was doing a French language course!

F
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 09:19:58 pm »

It was hinted at that Grover Williams did survive, common with most killings in the camps there was no body and records kept by the guards were brief, the Seward book did not seem to give it much credence.

It would be nice too think he did survive, went to the usa and then returned to his wife under an assumed name. Cannot see why it would have been required for him to do so as he was a hero, but if he did the then it appears he was run over by a German tourist in the late 70s!

Will look at the Ryan book and give it a go.

One thing missing from the book, was any form of record of what they did. Maybe records were not kept and thier main role may have been in recruiting others, but at times they did seem to be a bit of a liability to others!

H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 10:45:48 pm »

Another good book on Grover-Williams is "Early one morning" by Robert Ryan.

There is also a theory that Grover-Williams wasnt executed, but lived on under a new identity.

I did a presentation on him a few years back when I was doing a French language course!

F

Hi Fran
That explains a lot, now I know why you do not talk to freezers at Super U.
You are a superior being. Are you going to the TT again this year?

>Martini...LB

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 02:11:05 pm »

My secret is out Martini - I have been known to talk to my veg on the allotment - but never to frozen ones.

Yes - I am going to TT again this year and marshalling again, but just for practice week and the first two race days rather than the full fortnight. 

Saving my holiday allocation for the Ulster Grand Prix later in the year instead!  As the publicity blurb says "The World's Fastest Road Race"!!

I think I will be done with the TT after this year - but everyone tells me once you start your can't stop.  Where have I heard that before....

F
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: