Club Arnage
May 12, 2024, 07:21:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Delta Wing Project  (Read 65216 times)
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 27, 2012, 06:23:57 pm »

Delta Wing spent alot of time & money pitching this thing as the next generation Indycar, when it failed to get the bid, they had to try and recoup some of that money somewhere, and suddenly its a sportscar.  They may have thought it would work around a high speed oval, or even on a road course since Indycar is a spec formula, and it wouldn't be racing against anything else.  But the creators of this thing know damn well it will get slaughtered by conventional prototypes (and GT cars).  The idea of it running a 24 Hour race on ten fewer pitstops is great, if it runs without any problems at all.
Hasn't it occured to anyone that if this idea was going to be successful, someone would have tried it by now?  There have been a helluva alot of brilliant designers of racing cars over the years, one would think that at some point one of them would have thought about building something like this, to come to the conclusion it just will not work.
This might be a clever engineering concept, but its not a fricking racing car.  The idea of building a racing car being that your going to build something that will go faster than the opposition. This clearly won't
Fax
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 06:32:18 pm by Fax MKII » Logged
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: March 28, 2012, 12:12:19 am »

...everyone laughed at the little lotus with the engine in the back in F! and look what happened.

What happened?  Huh
Wasn't that the Cooper Huh  The Lotus was the one that didn't have a chassis Shocked

And Fax is right.  Plus starting as an Indycar its thin.  How do you make it two people wide without ruining the aero?  It seems a bit too thin and light at the front to survive a "McNish"  style crash. And the wide bit is going to trip over things

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Brad Zarse
Demi Moore's toy boy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Drinking can be hazardous to your health.....

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 28, 2012, 01:16:56 am »

Delta Wing spent alot of time & money pitching this thing as the next generation Indycar, when it failed to get the bid, they had to try and recoup some of that money somewhere, and suddenly its a sportscar.  

I'm kind of arguing for the sake of it now - but - that's good business sense.  I would bet you good money that this was always in the offing as an alternative to the indycar bid - clues being that the DeltaWing is an Aston Martin AMR ONE chassis (which they couldn't have made any worse) - As a business owner, I do things like this all the time - having more than one use for an investment is essential in these times of austerity!

They may have thought it would work around a high speed oval, or even on a road course since Indycar is a spec formula, and it wouldn't be racing against anything else.  But the creators of this thing know damn well it will get slaughtered by conventional prototypes (and GT cars).

Yep - just like rear engined F1 cars previously mentioned would never work, just like downforce was a waste of time, just like concorde would break up at supersonic speeds, just like at the strike of midnight in the year 2000 everything in the world stopped working, and just like the world is going to end on 21st December.....

If Marino Franchitti (who does have an agenda, and whose comments should probably be taken with a pinch of salt) is to be believed, the car handles quite well - and in particular is stable over bumps - maybe the concept isn't so flawed after all.

The idea of it running a 24 Hour race on ten fewer pitstops is great, if it runs without any problems at all.

What makes you think they can't do that?  The engine is a 1.6 litre turbo - producing 300bhp.  You can buy cars (outside of the US) that use this format, that will run faultlessly for 150,000 miles....that Engine is not overly stressed - they might have electrical gremlins, they might have transmission problems - but they have the backup of a manufacturer who do tend to make pretty reliable drivechains (source: Number of Nissan Sunny's driving around in the local chav estate).

Hasn't it occured to anyone that if this idea was going to be successful, someone would have tried it by now?  There have been a helluva alot of brilliant designers of racing cars over the years, one would think that at some point one of them would have thought about building something like this, to come to the conclusion it just will not work.

Well - have you ever seen anyone try anything like this?  Can you provide evidence that anyone has worked this concept before?  I doubt it.   The thing is - nobody really knows if this is going to work in its current format - the fact that Nissan have got behind it, indicates that there might be something unexplored in the world of racing - big shock - this is called progress.  There have been many brilliant designers over the years - but most of them had constraints - either regulatory, or financial, or simply constraints of the mind.   

This might be a clever engineering concept, but its not a fricking racing car.  The idea of building a racing car being that your going to build something that will go faster than the opposition. This clearly won't
Fax

No - The idea of building a race car in this context, is to complete more laps than the opposition in a set time period.  That is the fundamental difference between a sprint series and an endurance series - what Deltawing has done, is throw out the conventional rule book of speed first, economy second, and think laterally about the problem - coming up with a different solution which they are now testing - Surely this should be applauded rather than written off? 

Don't get me wrong - the car is dull - it looks intruiging, but it's quiet, doesn't look all that exciting when it's circulating, and doesn't get my blood pumping - but it IS potentially progress - which COULD lead to the next generation being a little more exciting!  Come June, we'll know if it has potential.  Come next June, we could potentially be seeing more manufacturers taking parts of the DeltaWing into their designs.

And anyway Fax...I'm still P***ed that I didn't get to meet you at Sebring and debate this, and recent F1 history with you, over 2 litres of Jagermeister...I bought a bottle and put it in the freezer especially!.... Hope things have sorted themselves out with the pet (hopefully for the better)

BZ

Check out my band!  www.blackmarketband.co.uk
On Facebook:  www.facebook.com/bandblackmarket

See you at a gig soon?
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 28, 2012, 04:49:21 am »

Agreed Brad, much of this is arguing just for the sake of it.  And likewise, would have prefered to have had this debate in person.  Mooch is hanging in there,  daily medication and sub-q fluids three times a week are keeping the grim reaper at bay, he's doing remarkably well considering the state he was in.  It stinks to have missed Sebring but it will be there next year, and in hindsight I wouldn't change my decision for a second.
Regarding the Delta Wing, its a fun engineering idea, but I just can't take it seriously as a racing car, especially considering how little they've actually shown us up to this point.  Le Mans is only two and a half month's away and they've managed a handful of demonstration laps.  It doesn't actually conform to any of the ACO regs, they've created a class for it just for the hell of it.  Like I said, can't take it very seriously.
I wonder if they've actually thought of how this thing will work if it rains? Which it tends to do at Le Mans...
Fax

Brad Zarse
Demi Moore's toy boy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 30, 2012, 12:35:52 pm »

http://www.lemans.org/en/news/deltawing-−-nissan-testing-at-sebring-on-video_6663.html

Interesting....

Check out my band!  www.blackmarketband.co.uk
On Facebook:  www.facebook.com/bandblackmarket

See you at a gig soon?
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 31, 2012, 01:55:47 am »

Yawn...
It neither looked, or sounded fast.
Put a gun to it, and put it out of its (and our) misery.
Fax
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 04, 2012, 02:14:05 pm »

I don't know if I'm having a good day or what, but I'm starting to soften my stance on this car. Yes it's dumb, yes it's ugly, I still think its going to crash once it gets on those rutted Sarthe country roads, but it is at least a serious effort. It's been testing at Sebring, Snetterton in the wet, it's on it's way to France and Spain next week.... Unlike last years no-hoper, the dismal AMR-Gone, they are putting the hours in. Everyone involved is so damn enthusiastic too, they really are hungry for success. In these days of doom and gloom, it's refreshing to see such effort and enthusiasm.

Onlookers at Snetterton said although it didn't look convincingly fast, it looked to be very light on fuel and tyres. I can almost imagine it leading the race in June around lap nine when everyone has stopped for fuel!!!

I still don't like it, I still don't think it belongs at Le Mans, but I now wish them the very best of luck. They will need it, but good on em.

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 04, 2012, 02:45:03 pm »

It's the work of the devil and they have turned you.  Grin

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 04, 2012, 04:13:13 pm »

I don't know if I'm having a good day or what, but I'm starting to soften my stance on this car.

Going soft in your old age Si?!

Smiley
gt6

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 04, 2012, 04:36:43 pm »

Well i like it to, it is different it is a breath of fresh air to a field that perhaps is unimaginative, no it might not be the way i want sportscar racing to go but do we really want yet unother no hope LMP2 entry, lokking forward to seeing it in 5 weeks time
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: May 04, 2012, 05:03:44 pm »

I don't know if I'm having a good day or what, but I'm starting to soften my stance on this car. Yes it's dumb, yes it's ugly, I still think its going to crash once it gets on those rutted Sarthe country roads, but it is at least a serious effort. It's been testing at Sebring, Snetterton in the wet, it's on it's way to France and Spain next week.... Unlike last years no-hoper, the dismal AMR-Gone, they are putting the hours in. Everyone involved is so damn enthusiastic too, they really are hungry for success. In these days of doom and gloom, it's refreshing to see such effort and enthusiasm.

Onlookers at Snetterton said although it didn't look convincingly fast, it looked to be very light on fuel and tyres. I can almost imagine it leading the race in June around lap nine when everyone has stopped for fuel!!!

I still don't like it, I still don't think it belongs at Le Mans, but I now wish them the very best of luck. They will need it, but good on em.

http://www.clubarnage.com/forum/index.php?topic=11448.0

Mmmmmmmmmmmm......

I hope your change of heart and the chance of being a film star are not connected!! Grin

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 08, 2012, 09:51:41 am »

http://www.clubarnage.com/forum/index.php?topic=11448.0

Mmmmmmmmmmmm......

I hope your change of heart and the chance of being a film star are not connected!! Grin

Not at all. Couldn't think of anything worse than being on telly.

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Brad Zarse
Demi Moore's toy boy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 04, 2012, 12:15:30 pm »

The revolutionary Nissan DeltaWing completed its first running on the famous 8.5 mile Circuit de la Sarthe today – the home of the upcoming 80th running of the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Invited to compete under the Automobile Club de l'Ouest’s “Garage 56” classification that showcases new and innovative technology, the Nissan DeltaWing completed 54 laps with drivers Michael Krumm, Satoshi Motoyama and Marino Franchitti at the wheel.

The team enjoyed a virtually trouble-free day and completed every lap but one on a single set of Michelin slick tires. A sole lap on wet tires during a brief rain shower was the only time the team switched tires all day.

Motoyama completed the fastest lap of the day at 3 minutes, 47.980 seconds. The Nissan DeltaWing technical, team led by concept originator Ben Bowlby, believe they are comfortably within reach of their target pace of 3 minutes, 45 seconds as requested by race officials.

With Motoyama not having raced at Le Mans since 1999 and Krumm since 2005, both drivers had to complete a mandatory 10 laps to qualify for the race.

Both easily achieved that goal, Motoyama completing 19 laps and Krumm, 24. With Marino Franchitti handling most of the pre-event testing and development, the Scottish racer only handled 11 laps today – the team taking the opportunity to get his Japanese and German teammates more accustomed with the car.

Krumm was the first man to drive the car before handing over to Motoyama who completed the morning session. Franchitti kicked off the afternoon running which include the sole lap on wet Michelin tires before continuing the driver rotation to Krumm and Motoyama who closed out the day.

The unique Nissan DeltaWing features half the weight, half the horsepower and half the aerodynamic drag of a typical prototype and is expected to enjoy significantly lower tire and fuel consumption.