Club Arnage
May 11, 2024, 02:53:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Matt started this  (Read 9794 times)
Fax
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2004, 07:37:35 pm »

There are some things that should just never be seen...Us in drag being one of them.
John
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2004, 10:12:12 pm »

I just heard from a scanner company (Moss Communications - the "official" suppliers to Sebring.

1) They will hire a scanner for $59.00, from 3/15 to 3/20. Is that good value?

2) Is a scanner worth having? For Le Mans, and Sebring?

3) If I bought one, what else can I use it for?
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2004, 08:22:42 am »

Hi Smokie, I will head for the same area as last year.
I too hope to be there on Wednesday probably around lunch time. first one there puts up the flag pole Cool
Your scanner rental sounds a bit pricy to me.
Canada Phil
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2004, 11:36:56 am »

What do I look for in a scanner?

For $129 I get http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=20-514

For $99 I get http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=20-315

Or for $79.77 I can get this http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=1762568&cat=4510&type=1&dept=3944&path=0%3A3944%3A3947%3A4510

I'll probably end up with none. Do these work at LM too?
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2004, 01:05:36 pm »

Oh THAT sort of scanner! Bloody hell, I'm dense at times.  Embarrassed

I thought you wanted to rent a photo scanner for your camping trip and couldn't work out why. What a bird brain. Sad

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Brian(Liverpool boys)
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2004, 01:20:11 pm »

Oh THAT sort of scanner! Bloody hell, I'm dense at times.  Embarrassed

I thought you wanted to rent a photo scanner for your camping trip and couldn't work out why. What a bird brain. Sad
You are not alone Andy, I was of the same line of thinking, has to be the dreaded scotch.
I can see clearly now the Scotch has gone, it's goin to be a fine, fine sun shine day.
Brian.

To make your dreams come true, you have to stay awake.
More Low Flyer's anyone.
Fax
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2004, 01:54:19 pm »

Hi Smokie,
Scanners are very popular at NASCAR and Indy Car races.
They usually sell a list of the frequencies being used by the various teams during the weekend and this allows the paying punter to listen in on the team conversations as well as race control.  It can be quite fun.  My brother had one at Indy a few years ago for the 500.  See you in the Sunshine State.
John
IanB
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2004, 02:07:54 pm »

At the risk of being moderated look on E bay.. there's loads going through, but it looks like a mine field unless you know whats what. Wouldn't mind one myself if I knew what to buy..Any experts out there?
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2004, 02:25:45 pm »

We've tried using scanners at Lm before, but all we could get were the caterers. Which in itself it's no bad thing, things got pretty exciting when little Pepe scorched the pasta, he almost ended up getting his tomatoes sun dried by the head chef.

I'd guess the teams must scramble their radio messages. I'm no expert, but I think they do this by having the frequency change several times a second.
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
Fax
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2004, 02:34:33 pm »

I just spoke with a buddy of mine here at work who's a big NASCAR fan, he has a scanner he takes to every race.  He said the difference in price usually depends on the number of channels available.  He purchased his for $100 (including headset) it has thirty channels that can be pre-programed.  Said he loves it, wouldn't go to another race without it.  Can be used to pick up the radio broadcast as well as the teams and race control.  At most US races you can go to any information booth and pick up a list of the frequencies being used by the teams at each race.
John
Nobby Diesel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2004, 03:12:54 pm »

My own personal view is that you're all missing the point.
By the time 4 o'clock comes around on the Saturday afternoon, most of us won't have the slightest clue of what's going on around us, let alone wanting to know what's happening 4 miles across the fields.

Just grab another beer and read the result on the teletext when you get home!

It's just more clobber to carry/break/loose/forget.

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2004, 03:18:47 pm »

Our generous hosts provided us with scanners for the Daytona 500. They are an integral part of NASCAR because of the huge amount of feedback generated between the driver, crew chief and spotters. I'm not sure how much communication actually goes on between the car and the pits in sportscar racing. Scanner rental booths at stock car races are as common as hotdog stands, but I haven't seen any at sportscar races. My view is that the more the sport can involve the fans, the better it will be.
I really cannot understand why the ACO hasn't embraced scanner rental for the 24 Hours (which could also deliver Radio Le Mans) and the very innovative class leader identifier system used in ALMS, whereby the first 3 cars in each class are identified from trackside, by a series of lights in the door panel, which are activated by a start/finish line transponder. It enables those without radios/scanners to stay in touch with an endurance race and would be highly relevant and useful at Le Mans.

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Fax
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2004, 04:34:15 pm »

Have a friend who's been a long time veteran of NASCAR and Indy Car races, went to the USGP a few years ago and brought his scanner along thinking he would be able to listen in on the chatter, being used to the somewhat more fan friendly access we get here.  I had to inform him that those wacky, fun-loving folks in F1 scramble all of their signals so his scanner was pretty much usless.  You can imagine this went over well.
John
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2004, 09:16:21 pm »

Hi Smokie, I use one at Sebring. It is great fro picking up tRadio Le Mans and the commentary for SPEED the TV channel. If you have the patience to programme the thing a couple of teams are worth following too.
two words of warning: a friend once told me it was the most complicated piece of equipment he had ever used and batteries. i use one which uses conventional AA batteries but most of the new ones have unique battery packs which you will need to charge. US ones will use 110V so you will need to get the 12V car charger too. We can go shopping in Sebring for Radio Shack and WalMart if you like.
Canada Phil
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2004, 12:48:21 am »

Hey Smokie and Chris 24, i could be leavibg as soon as next tuesday sonay rewquests ? folding chairs, leaky tents, Mad Moose . sorry you'll have to find your own beaver Shocked
Canada Phil
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: