Club Arnage
May 17, 2024, 02:50:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Camera  (Read 14675 times)
nickliv
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2007, 09:53:22 pm »

Dixons Tax Free     Gatwick South Terminal
After Security
Telephone number:
+44 (0)1293 569 509
Opening hours:
05:00 - 21:00
Digital cameras, i-PODS, computer equipment and some great accessories

If it's the north terminal you're going from then try

Dixons Tax Free     Gatwick North Terminal
After Security
Telephone number:
+44 (0)1293 569 737
Opening hours:
05:00 - 20:30
Digital cameras, i-PODS, computer equipment and some great accessories

Might be worth giving them a ring. As for them being the same price in the US, that's not fair. They're not playing by the rules.

Here's what they have on their website, IIRC you can order / reserve and collect it at tax free prices.

http://tinyurl.com/yrqtwl

Thought so, here are their T&Cs

http://tinyurl.com/ys4s29
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 09:58:37 pm by nickliv » Logged
rcutler
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2007, 10:05:23 pm »

Something to aspire to possibly, while not motorsport you can appreciate the work that has gone into this guys work and it is not Photoshop work.

He is a friend, who I sold his first B&W developer, all pics are DSLR but not manipulated. Most of guernsey.

I was given two mounted prints today FOR MY BIRTHDAY.

Site -  http://www.mikebonsallphotography.com/

>Martini...

Well Happy Birthday then Martini! Will raise a glass for you!
keithk
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2007, 07:48:38 am »

Well now you are asking.  The speed of the lens is the most critical bit with sports photography and the greater the range of focal lengths the slower the lens tends to become.  If you want serious racing shots, you are going to do better with faster, fixed focal length lenses.  However, if you buy a modern Nikkor lens they have VR (vibration reduction) which gives you a good couple more F stops in hand (ie, what would look cr*p at say 1/60th with a normal lens will be about say 1/200th with the VR which is a real bonus.  But having said that, you can always alter the film speed with a digital which will give you a grainer-looking image but a sharper picture!  I could go on.. and on.. and on.... As no doubt can Piglet, Keith and others.
Bring your new body ( Wink) to Sebring and Mr Termite and I will let you try out a few different lenses and you can see what you think.

Personally I never use VR lenses, I don’t often used film or digital above 200 ASA. Yes a ”fast”  lens does make simpler but it gives you the flexibility to create the images you want rather than the images the lens and camera can give you.

Get yourself either  the D50 or 70 there cheap enough now decide what you want to do with it!
Do you want to store images on Cflash cards or Sdigital cards?

Practice you picture technique ie panning or just holding the camera steady many of my night shots are taken at less than a 1/50 sec with the camera hand held http://www.gtphotosport.com/lm24moto/kpk_0039.html
I don’t use a tripod for anything less than 5-8 second exposures! http://www.gtphotosport.com/water/KPK_8960.html
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2007, 10:25:12 am »

Well, you obviously have steadier hands than me!!  Also,bare in mind the distances we amateurs often have to shoot from.  As an amateur I really notice the difference in the quality of my shots when I lose light and my slow lenses struggle. The only solution is to knock off the autofocus which often can't cope in those circumstances, but this can defeat the whole object of "point and shoot" if that is what you are after.  Also, having a lightweight body on a hefty lens makes balance more problematical.  The D2H is much easier to hold steady.
But there is no doubt that one of the great pleasures of digital is that you can practice, practice and practice and have a really good look at the results before you go to the once in a lifetime situation and miss the good shots because you're not familiar enough with your equipment ( Wink).  I've found the VR lenses really great and worth a couple of F stops, especially in windy conditions at long focal lengths in low light.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
keithk
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2007, 06:55:38 pm »

Low light no VR hand held about 1/80 with a 500 on auto focus ..... Grin from the top of the tv platform....

http://www.gtphotosport.com/lm2005/KPK_5853.html

I shoot a lot of film and dont review many of my images when using dig, and yes being on the inside helps....
wishy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Shed's do track days!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2007, 08:49:58 pm »

Keith,

Perhaps.........you should run a camera workshop on Fdiday night  to teach us basic and advanced skills............the one of the Aston in focus and background is brilliant!!!
Wishy
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2007, 09:16:59 pm »

Wishy, I have a D50 - a very affordable easy to use camera.  The new D40 is somewhat smaller (like a Canon 350 / 400) and I felt it was a bit tiddly in my hands (as the actress said etc).

The 18-55 standard lens with the D50 is fine for general stuff.  However, to get decent shots of cars on the track you need to go longer.  Having reviewed the photos I had previously taken at Sebring (and Le Mans) on my old Fuji S5000, I calculated that I was generally shooting at an equivalent focal length greater than 200mm.
Bearing in mind the 1.5 x field of view factor on a DSLR CCD, my dilemma was -
1. Spend a sh*t load of money on a 'fast' 70-200 f2.8 lens - more than £1000! or
2. Try the cheap 55-200 and maybe look for something else over 200mm.

Well, option 2 suited me (surprised!) and having read about the new 70-300 f4.5 VR lens, I went and tried one of those - and bought that.

So, my current 'general purpose' lens is the 18-70 and I will use the 70-300 VR for track shots.

Whilst I would like faster f-stop lenses (who wouldn't) I can't justify the cost and don't fancy the extra weight.

All the above lenses are Nikon by the way.

I'm sure that, between all of us Nikon users, you can get a feel for the variety of lenses available.

Steve East Anglian cobras

wishy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2007, 09:29:28 pm »

Hi Steve,

Although over the years I have mansged reasonable pictures  with SLR's

Digital is totally different....having brought a Fuji Finepix2100 3 years ago ,with  going through the leaning curve,managed reasonable piccy's but not brilliant.

I have just purchased a Nikon D70s on E***y and KeithK after the event has given me a personal contact of his to find lenses and bits!!!

It would be great to buy a f2.8 lens.....but my budget at the mo won't stretch to £750 for a Nikon 200 lens.....so I will probably downgrade and up the stops to compensate.......and hpoefully Sebring will give me a real learning curve in the use of a DSLR

Wishy
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2007, 09:35:44 pm »

If you're limited by f-stop, one bonus of a DSLR is that you can push the ISO beyond 400 (up to 1600) to boost shutter speed for a given aperture and still end up with a decent image with respect to grain / digital noise.

Good purchase with the D70s - welcome to the CA Nikon club.

wishy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2007, 09:37:11 pm »

Oooooh......I love it when people talk dirty.

nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2007, 10:09:36 pm »

Nudge Nudge  - Wishy - got a new camera

« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 10:16:22 pm by nopanic » Logged

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Brad Zarse
Demi Moore's toy boy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Drinking can be hazardous to your health.....

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2007, 12:10:34 am »

Canon Club Rules....as well as being a camera, it can also be a frikkin great gun that fires big metal (?) balls..... Smiley

Actually having used my 100-400 L Series, I now understand where the name "canon" came from.....

Good luck wishy!

Check out my band!  www.blackmarketband.co.uk
On Facebook:  www.facebook.com/bandblackmarket

See you at a gig soon?
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2007, 12:20:58 am »

Canon Club Rules....as well as being a camera, it can also be a frikkin great gun that fires big metal (?) balls..... Smiley

Actually having used my 100-400 L Series, I now understand where the name "canon" came from.....

Good luck wishy!

That'll be cannon with three 'n's then  Roll Eyes

Stu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2007, 11:51:02 am »

Hi Piglet and Termie

Firstly you are quite right about compacts.I currently use a Fuji Finepix.....and have managed to take some sensible pictures by holding the shutter half open ....but it takes practise.

I have been looking at both the Nikon D50 and the D70s  which both seem to fill my criteria.

If I should go for either do I go for a 18-55 lens and 55-200, or would a 25-200 be adequate for all jobs?

And I assume it is best to use Nikkor lenses rater than tamron or Sigma?

Wishy

I got my daughter a new D40 with both the above lenses for under £500 for xmas. I've only used it a couple of times but I was impressed with the results and quality. it can be point and shoot or you can spend days twiddling the settings.
Piglet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2007, 02:10:36 pm »

I got my daughter a new D40 with both the above lenses for under £500 for xmas.

Roll Eyes Stu will you be my Dad or at least have a word with mine.  I didn't even get a card!!!   Grin Grin
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: