Club Arnage
May 07, 2024, 07:05:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 148   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One for Mr Z, Which film  (Read 896668 times)
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #495 on: August 05, 2008, 06:28:08 pm »

The breadvan was the nickname given to a Ferrari modified by Bizzarrini on behalf of Count Volpi when Ferrari refused to sell Volpi a 250GTO because he was backing the new ATS team.

Bizzarrini's last project before he left Ferrari was the 250GTO, so Volpi got him (and the others who left at the same time) to recreate a better car.

Bizzarrini was a friend of Count Volpi's but did not design the Serenissima 308 as he was working for ASA by then.

But given the resemablance to it and the ISO Bizzarrini 5300 its hard not think there remained some link.

The engine was, I think, labeled ATS
the engine was not to an ATS, but home built by Serenissima. As you say it was not a success being a bit under powered and went thru a couple of versions, but the 3 litre one did power Bruce McLarens first F1 car before being dumped

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: August 05, 2008, 07:17:05 pm »

Jerry, there is a car in play, lets just keep to the one and we know it won't have any daft clues.

anyway, yours is:- Swallow Doretti No.1068

Pour a beer Peter, correct.

At my age, it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night!!!!!!!!!!!
Then, growing old is compulsary, but growing up is just optional.

I don't do GREEN, I've got a 4x4
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: August 06, 2008, 12:42:22 am »

The breadvan was the nickname given to a Ferrari modified by Bizzarrini on behalf of Count Volpi when Ferrari refused to sell Volpi a 250GTO because he was backing the new ATS team.

Bizzarrini's last project before he left Ferrari was the 250GTO, so Volpi got him (and the others who left at the same time) to recreate a better car.

Bizzarrini was a friend of Count Volpi's but did not design the Serenissima 308 as he was working for ASA by then.

But given the resemablance to it and the ISO Bizzarrini 5300 its hard not think there remained some link.

The engine was, I think, labeled ATS
the engine was not to an ATS, but home built by Serenissima. As you say it was not a success being a bit under powered and went thru a couple of versions, but the 3 litre one did power Bruce McLarens first F1 car before being dumped

I'd like to fill in a few gaps on the story of this car- even though most car buffs have never even heard of it it is quite an important little milestone in Italian sportscar history. Its a rather complicated story but rather compelling. I'll try and keep it brief......

Giorgio Billi and and Argentinian Jaime Ortiz Patino form the snappily titled 'Societa Per Azioni Automobili Turismo e Sport Serenissima' in the turn of the sixties in Bologna. A 20 year old Count Volpi then takes a 20% share in the company soon after and suggests a name change to 'Automobili Turismo e Sport' or ATS. They build 11 rather pretty sportscars, a sports prototype and a rather poor F1 car before going bankrupt in late '64. During this time Carlo Chitti and Bizzarini arrive in '62 after the ferrari walkout and amongst other projects they build the now famous Ferrari Breadvan.

Count Volpi then returns as Automobili Serenissima and teams up with Sterling Moss' spanner man Alf Francis and ex-ATS engine man Alberto Massimino to show Billi and Chitti they could build a better sportscar. Massimino brings with him plans from his ATS days of a quad cam 3 litre V8 engine- aborted due to lack of funding. He also designs the gearbox from scratch. Body was styled by ex FIAT and Pininfarina man Franco Salomone (who penned the Ferrari 275 GTB). The new car, named the 308 Jet Coupe is tested by a dismissive Paul Frere in early '65 and a comprehensive re- design is required before its first appearance at the '65 Le Mans test weekend. Unfortunately the car sucks and is 50 seconds a lap slower than the fastest Ferraris and the project is canned.
 Alf Francis then does a deal and the engine is removed and fitted in the back of Bruce McLarens first F1 car. It is a huge dissapointment and fails in its first race. The engine is hastily re-built and holds on to bring Bruce a 6th at the British Grand Prix- McLarens first ever world champion constructors point.

The Serenissima, now engine-less is sold to Piero Drogo and dissapears for almost 30 years in Switzerland. The now tired engine then goes to Kansas with Francis and is instaled in a Lola Mk6 GT (believed to be one of the Ford GT40 development hacks) and is raced until 1978 in various club events, it is sold to Drogo and re-united with the car (which by now wears chassis number 003)

Meanwhile our man Volpi now teams up with Alessandro de Tomaso and they re-name the company Serenissima Automobili and commision a young Tom Tjaarda to design a car which is named the Agema. Count Volpi then panics when the tooling costs spiral out of control leaving De Tomaso to go it alone. the car becomes the De Tomaso Mangusta. Serenissima limps on until 1970 as a race entrant with a Can Am McLaren, which Volpi enters in various races for Jonathan Williams- until Williams walks away to race the Solar productions Porsche of Steve McQueen at that years Le Mans. The protype Agema still hangs from a wall on a rack inside Count Volpi's castle to this day.

Chassis 003- The 308 Jet, the only one built was restored in 2004 by Noel Rieben and Millenium Racing in Switzerland. It still wears its original paint and made its first public appearence in almost 40 years at the 2006 Villa d'Este Concorso d'Eleganza. It still owned by Piero Drogo to this day.

I hope I haven't bored you to death with the story of that little car. Never a success but never the less a very important car.

S

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
firefly

Just getting old and decrepid

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: August 09, 2008, 12:05:16 am »

Nice bit of history on that lovely italian little motor.  Many thanks for that.

What happened to the posting after it, I'm sure it was a Riley or a Singer, but it's gone!!! Huh

You know when you reach maturity, boot and mouth fit.
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: August 09, 2008, 09:55:10 am »

That was Lefties post I think and was a Swallow Doretti.
 I'll put up another killer tonight- going for small detail shots to sort the men from the sad anoraks!
 S

Dick Dasterdly was right
Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: August 13, 2008, 06:36:24 pm »

To continue, it's a Brit'...............

Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: August 14, 2008, 01:06:15 am »

Nice bit of history on that lovely italian little motor.  Many thanks for that.

What happened to the posting after it, I'm sure it was a Riley or a Singer, but it's gone!!! Huh

firefly,

Don't know what happened there, must of pressed the wrong button. But I posted again.

You are very close.

As a further clue, the car also appeared with Singer and Ford engines etc but not as standard fitment.

Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #502 on: August 14, 2008, 02:54:05 pm »

Its a rare one, Austin 7ish, and that split screen is unusual

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #503 on: August 14, 2008, 03:21:59 pm »

Honk honk

Steve East Anglian cobras

nickliv
« Reply #504 on: August 14, 2008, 05:17:11 pm »

Wossis den?

And where is it?
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #505 on: August 14, 2008, 05:31:42 pm »

1914 Sentinel Standard Steam Wagon.

In preservation not far from me.

Steve East Anglian cobras

Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: August 14, 2008, 10:00:42 pm »

it's a green car

Yup, it's green Peter, but no beer.

Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: August 14, 2008, 10:01:51 pm »

it has nice headlights Wink

Peter, again you are right, but still no beer.

Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: August 14, 2008, 10:04:30 pm »

Wossis den?

And where is it?

It's here, right in front of me Grin

Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: August 15, 2008, 12:49:06 am »

To continue, it's a Brit'...............

A one and a half litre HRG?? screen looks different to the one I know but worth a shot Wink

Dick Dasterdly was right
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 148   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: