Club Arnage
May 18, 2024, 08:36:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is there to do in Le Mans in December?  (Read 4002 times)
Tubs

View Profile
« on: December 04, 2006, 02:13:21 pm »

In a moment of madness and in an attempt to beat the winter blues, a good mate and I have decided to head to Le Mans (out this Friday and back on Monday) for a long weekend.

We're now wondering what on earth there is to do in the area at this time of year. We should have no problem finding good bars and good eateries for the evenings (although it would be good to hear any recommendations), but what is there to do during the day? Any good (or bad Grin) suggestions would be very gratefully received!  Smiley

(Perhaps this thread belongs in the 'Help' section?)
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 02:18:21 pm »

What are you into exactly?  Sightseeing, shopping, eating, boozing, walking. Will be glad to help.  You are in luck as it's one of the few Sundays in the year when a lot of supermarkets will be open for pre-christmas shopping.  Beware of the fact that many restaurants in the more rural areas are not open if the evenings, if you are travelling outside the city.
Pity it wasn't this last weekend as we were buzzing round the circuit (sorry, that's just mean!)
The Museum's open.
and http://www.parc-naturel-perche.fr/bienvenue.asp
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 02:42:58 pm by termietermite » Logged

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Tubs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 03:12:21 pm »

We normally go down to his brother's house near the Pyrennees for a few days at this time of year. Unfortunately, the heating's buggered so we won't be going there! We're old schoolfriends (now fortysomethings) but only get together once a year (he now lives and works abroad) so it's an excuse to chew the cud and properly catch up (without wives and kids in tow!).

Good bars and restaurants are a must. We're staying in the centre of Le Mans (5 or 10 minutes walk to the Old Town) in order to avoid the temptation to drink and drive.

Sightseeing and walking (weather permitting) during the day. We'll probably head south in search of a couple of chateaux. But I'm really just looking for a bit of inspiration. 
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 03:24:42 pm »

I like Maitre Kanter in the Jacobin square, plus l'Auberge des 7 plats and Patagruel, both the latter in the old town.  The Corail by the station is also good, frequented by one Huge Chamberpot, so can't be bad!
North of Le Mans, try Fresnais sur Sarthe, lovely little chateau and a good place to wander about, plus the little manor house mentioned in my first response.
Le Lude is good, plus, if you have never been although a little further afield, Chateaudun - a good taxing walk around the (very) steep old town.  We often take visitors there and the response is always good.  There is a good circular walk of about 10 ks round my own village.  If this is your bag, pm me and I'll try to find a map for you.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 03:25:43 pm »

Diner at Tetre Rouge! Cool

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 03:32:33 pm »

Sadly, without the lovely view.  You could of course, watch the tramway rails being put in.

Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 03:48:29 pm »

Pics on the wall will say it all Grin

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
Tubs

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 04:43:11 pm »

I like Maitre Kanter in the Jacobin square, plus l'Auberge des 7 plats and Patagruel, both the latter in the old town.  The Corail by the station is also good, frequented by one Huge Chamberpot, so can't be bad!
North of Le Mans, try Fresnais sur Sarthe, lovely little chateau and a good place to wander about, plus the little manor house mentioned in my first response.
Le Lude is good, plus, if you have never been although a little further afield, Chateaudun - a good taxing walk around the (very) steep old town.  We often take visitors there and the response is always good.  There is a good circular walk of about 10 ks round my own village.  If this is your bag, pm me and I'll try to find a map for you.
Plenty there to keep us occupied!

I've probably eaten in most of the eateries in and around the Old Town at one time or another, but can never remember them by name. Nor can I ever remember which of them are good, and which are just average. 

Great suggestions for out and about, just the sorts of things I was looking for. Chateaudun particularly appeals.

Thanks for your help, 'termie'!  Grin
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 04:47:54 pm »

Glad to be of help.  For all things Sarthois...

You may like to have a decco at this
http://www.planetware.com/chateaudun/chateau-de-chateaudun-f-cen-ccd.htm

termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 03:21:18 pm »

And you can go and have a decco at MB to find out what's happening there!

Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 05:47:06 pm »

Tubs - if you find the time you could do much worse than drop by the Hotel de France at La Chartre-sur-le Loir, about 35 miles SE of Le Mans. It's where many teams of drivers have stayed since the year dot, well at least since Aston Martin in the 50s.
The bar is like a Le Mans 24 Hours museum, lined with signed photos and so on. They keep albums relating to the 24 Hours down the years. Christophe the barman is a fund of stories about drivers. The restaurant is great, too.
Have a great weekend
Tubs

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 06:54:28 am »

Tubs - if you find the time you could do much worse than drop by the Hotel de France at La Chartre-sur-le Loir, about 35 miles SE of Le Mans. It's where many teams of drivers have stayed since the year dot, well at least since Aston Martin in the 50s.
The bar is like a Le Mans 24 Hours museum, lined with signed photos and so on. They keep albums relating to the 24 Hours down the years. Christophe the barman is a fund of stories about drivers. The restaurant is great, too.
Have a great weekend
I like this idea!!!   Cool

Thanks for the suggestion KPY.  Grin

(Off to Stansted in an hour, reckon it's going to be more fun than I first anticipated!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: