Club Arnage
May 05, 2024, 01:34:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rip off ferry prices  (Read 22205 times)
Dane
CA Veteran

Denmark

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2003, 03:40:39 pm »

I've signed the petition  Cheesy but never been there  Roll Eyes
Chef
CA Veteran

Cooking up another llama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2003, 07:45:56 pm »

dont know what you are moaning about. its £250 going down to dover. Every ferry for 1 week is full to the brim. I think it helps keep the routes open. wind your neck in!
Robbo
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2003, 07:52:10 pm »

Cool
i have been going years and the prices have COME DOWN . & of us in a mini bus with cabins each way came to £385. that was booked early to Le Havre .

It aint that bad really , unless you book really late and are taking a bus!!

robbo , Self Preservation Society .
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2003, 12:39:21 pm »

dont know what you are moaning about. its £250 going down to dover. Every ferry for 1 week is full to the brim. I think it helps keep the routes open. wind your neck in!

Not moaning, just trying to do something about the ferry companies taking the piss every june and bumping up the prices. Yes there are deals to be had, but boy do you have to work hard to find them.

And why on earth would I want to go to dover when i live 45 mins away from Portsmouth? Its the wrong bloody direction anyway.

Finally, if you consider £250 is good value for an hour and twenty minutes each way on their stincking tub, then I reckon you've got more f**k*ng money than sense old son.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2003, 08:08:27 pm »

That's fighting talk, where I come from..... (moved now, of course)

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Theo Leggett
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2003, 05:24:06 pm »

I'm signed - but I don't think it'll do much good. One of the reasons prices get so high is the EC allowed P&O and Stena to join forces on several cross channel routes. They also banned duty free, which the operators made a lot of their profits out of. Can't see them admitting its all their fault, can you?

btw - P&O were sneaky this year - I tried to order motorbike tickets on the Le Havre route in March and I was quoted £540 per ticket. I ended up paying £100 in June. So much for booking early.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2003, 09:08:15 pm »

I know they sail from Dover to Dunkeque (the wrong direction) but Norfolk Line seem to be continually able to beat any prices offered by the other rip off merchants.

Anyone know how SeaFrances' fares compare to P&O / Stena?

Steve East Anglian cobras

Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2003, 11:42:27 am »

I know they sail from Dover to Dunkeque (the wrong direction) but Norfolk Line seem to be continually able to beat any prices offered by the other rip off merchants.

Anyone know how SeaFrances' fares compare to P&O / Stena?

Have a look again at the channel pirates website on http://www.channelpirates.com/  They have just put up a Price Comparision on the left hand menu, it's at the bottom.

Interesting to see what other Europeans pay for their ferries. I accept that some of these may be Govt subsidised, but even so...  One can only assume that we are having the piss taken out of us.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2003, 11:57:53 am »

The price comparison is scary - I was trying to think of reasons why it might cost more per km for short hourneys, but even shorter trips abroad are considerably less per km.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2003, 09:04:25 pm »

The ferry pirates website doesn't mention Norfolk Line.  I've just done a random test booking on their site and they're offering a 5 day return offer with car for £149 down from the standard fare of £219.
I know this is to Dunkerque but I wonder what their price will be come race week next year compared to the usual Dover / Calais sailings.
Maybe I'll have to marinise the cob! , or buy an amphicar Smiley

Steve East Anglian cobras

Andy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm not a llama! I'm a Le Mans'er

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2003, 11:26:46 pm »

I TRAVEL BY MOTORCYCLE, THE PRICES ARE NEARLY THAT OF A CAR. WHY?
I WAS DISMAYED THE WEDS MORNING SAILING PORTSMOUTH TO CAEN WAS NOT AVAILABLE AND THE ST MALO PRICE WAS EXTORTIONATE.
WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY £50 MORE ON LE MANS WEEK FOR THE SAME SAILINGS FOR A SMALL VEHICLE?
SO I WENT TO P&O WHO DID THE SAME, PUT THE PRICES UP A DAY AFTER I WENT TO BOOK, I DIDNT HAVE MY WALLET AND GAVE ME A BOOKING REF FOR THE PRICE OF £123 PORTS TO CHER. NEXT DAY £158 ON THE PHONE OR £302 ON THE NET, SO I DID A VICTOR MELDREW AND GOT IT FOR £119. THE WEEKS EITHER SIDE OF LM IS £85. FOR A BIKE WHAT A RIP OFF.
WHEN I FIRST WENT TO LM IN JAG90 IT WAS £56. I MIGHT LOOK AT THE OPTION OF BUYING THAT SUBMARINE AND CHARTERING THE TOUR UP THE LE SARTHE RIVER TO LM AND PRE BOOKING A MINI BUS IN LM.
ANY TAKERS.     MOAN MOAN MOAN.
IF A FERRY COMES UP FOR SAIL, I AM UP FOR THE MEGA MORTGAGE TO BUY IT.

Andy
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2003, 12:16:01 am »

Andy...stop shouting...

And this ferry...where would you park it for the other 51 weeks?

btw if I owned a ferry company and had a bunch of captive customers 1 week per year guess what - I'd bang the prices up too! Isn't the phrase supply and demand? I suppose CA could ask them to "not profiteer" but somehow I don't think it would work.

Uh-oh - I guess someone will be asking if CA can charter a ferry next...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2003, 12:18:04 am by smokie » Logged
Bobblehat
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

A racing we do go....

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2003, 12:43:34 am »

Yep ferry prices go up just when you whant to use them, bit like holiday companies in the school holidays. Got two kids carnt do anything about but moan. Worked out that it cost the three of us £ 250 for 6 days all, I meen, all in. Now that I think is a good deal

Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2003, 11:55:15 pm »

On the news on friday was a report on the EU are looking into ferry prices.
It's the power of the Commer, Zarse puts up a complaint and the EU look into it.
Quick put one up about camping, see what they do.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Robbo
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2003, 05:53:10 pm »

Wink

Oy you lot are flipping barmy , nuts , you gone crazy paving .

There areways around the problems of silly prices and unless your are a member of the t.w.a.t.s you dont want to drive to Dover , coz its a hole full of illegal scum and vilerny

Call P&O ( i only use this lot as Britttany are tosers about giving dosh back )
Book a trip for the runner and riders in late november with hopefully the right details.
DONT PAY NOW , TELL THEM YOU WILL SEND A CHEQUE IN THE POST

Then 9 weeks before going ( about start of April , as tickets must be paid for 8 weeks before and they will cancel your space ) and amend your ticket in some way , i usually remove a person or get a day cabin on the return , as the prices for these chouldnt change . and .....

Hey presto , money saved .

i have saved £125 on a motorbike booking 2 years ago and £230 last year by adding 3 people and a cabin to the booking . !!!

IRONIC but try it. Grin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: