Club Arnage
May 04, 2024, 07:43:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio Le Mans  (Read 21633 times)
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2005, 02:17:50 pm »

First, I have to say that I think Radio Le Mans is the 'chiens ballons' and remember what it was like in the mid 80's before it came on the scene. And so it is very much with that in mind that I offer this hopefully 'constructive suggestion' designed to (if it were possible) further improve the service provided. So if anyone from Radio Le Mans is out there, could I humbly suggest that during the race, on the hour, or better still every half hour there is a short, uninterrupted update on the race positions. I.e. 'In the lead, car number 4, in second place car number 6 on the same lap in third car 58 one lap behind........................

It would really help us pick up the action quickly after returning to the circuit following, whatever it is we do when we leave the circuit.

Just a thought.

See you there. Monkey.
pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 02:56:00 pm »

Monkey,

Dunno when the last time you listened to RLM but certainly in the recent years I have been going they have always done an update of the type you describe hourly, on the half hour. The update giving the positions of all the cars as at the last full hours' timing (I hope this makes sense!) along with any news of crashes, retirements, pit visits etc..

And IIRC it was relatively uninterrupted - only the usual references to their sponsors during the introduction. I don't begrudge them that though as it pays the bills and, as you say the race would otherwise be incomprehensible after the first round of pit stops without them.

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
Nobby Diesel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 03:01:15 pm »

Remember, the Astons have the lights on the side. 3 lights; 1 lit - first place, 2 lit - 2nd place. That's all we'll need to know.
The third bulb must be a spare!

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
GrahamL
CA Veteran

Dip me in chocolate and throw me to the lesbians

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 03:10:38 pm »

i (bearing in mind my LM virginity) thought that the light system was only for the ALMS, rather than actually at LM? I do think it's a decent way of doing things though.

Ordered tiny FM radios today for radio LM, which completes my pre travel preparation (other than foreign beer vouchers).

LM first timer
Nobby Diesel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 03:21:14 pm »

Graham,
I've been going for years and still know virtually nothing.
You're more than likely absolutely right.
I do know where the Poo bar is though!

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
GrahamL
CA Veteran

Dip me in chocolate and throw me to the lesbians

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 03:34:30 pm »

...I'm expecting to actually lose knowledge while I'm there...

LM first timer
tink
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 04:05:59 pm »

the radio can be a little confusing at times, esp when you wake up (if you decide to get some sleep) but you can of course find one of the big screens by the ford or dunlop chicanes, or the exit of the pit lane, as these usually list the entire classification quite frequently
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 04:40:27 pm »

Pretzel, thanks for your comment, I last missed a race in 1991. You are right there are updates and I agree 'get those sponsors names in' as much as possible as you say it helps pay the bills. I suppose I am asking for something over and above that, a simple quick fire number position, distance between, approach that would simply bring the listener completely up to speed in a matter of seconds. The hourly updates in there present (long standing) format usually begin on the hour and finish at about twenty past the hour making the information at the end of the report pretty out of date. It’s just a thought.Cheesy
neilsie
CA Veteran

KK

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 05:05:53 pm »

Have you guys seen this offer of free text messages telling you the race positions?

http://www.vingtquatre.net/unosite/pages/lemans.htm
Neal
CA Veteran

That's put the Halibut amongst the Iguanas

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2005, 05:12:43 pm »

Cheers for that Neilsie, will give a try
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2005, 05:17:01 pm »

This seems almost to good to be true, has anyone out there used this service, is it really free??
chris78cpr
CA Veteran

I'm a llama that likes to take pictures!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2005, 06:49:56 pm »

Ill be signing up for that one! Cheesy

Cheers!

Chris

2 days to go until im back in heaven......
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2005, 06:55:06 pm »

We've had trouble over recent years in Tribune Jaguar, with the French Radio LM station breaking through, usually when you turn your head.

Any ideas anyone, and no I don't have ears like Jodrell Bank

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2005, 08:41:23 pm »

Have you guys seen this offer of free text messages telling you the race positions?

http://www.vingtquatre.net/unosite/pages/lemans.htm

This was mentioned on the lemans.org site some time ago. I've been searching for this all day to post the link but couldn't find it. Apparently, it's free of charge (Let's see the mobile bill after the race, sceptic me). Still, I won't use it and instead will rely on the good old radio and the odd surprise after the race. Nothing against new technology and all that but I'm aware that sending text messages via the mobile eats the batteries.  Wink

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
tink
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2005, 09:14:20 pm »

also, if its a french service it may only be free for french registered mobiles. if you're using an english mobile you might get charged international rates, so it could work out at abuot £1 a message. just a thought...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: