Club Arnage
May 11, 2024, 12:26:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yes, Smokie, but....  (Read 5855 times)
SimonKE
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2003, 10:06:23 am »

...just to put a balancing view (I'm obviously risking being flamed and outcast)...

The original purchasers of these tickets went to all the trouble of applying to the ACO (probably in person) in good time for their tickets....then had to arrange for payment (in September last year, wasn't it, this time!!!!)...so will've been without funds for almost TEN months....then had to wait on tenterhooks to see if they actually arrived...et cetera...

....it just then seems a tad presumptuous (sp?) for someone to expect to only pay "face value" when they suddenly realise they need tickets!!

Don't get me wrong (PLEEEEEEEEZE)...I would be violently opposed to someone offering their tickets AT an inflated price....but NOT opposed to someone asking for offers (with NO reserve ;-D ).

Just musing......don't want to fall out with you lot!!!  We WILL be going next year, for sure!!!!!  And I might need someone to call in @ the ACO offices to book my tickets!!

(Not looking forward to early June on the M2/A2 watching y'all trolling down to Dover....bu**er, bug**r, b*gg*r!!!)
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2003, 10:45:29 am »

SimonKE unless you want your account suspended, I'd shut up if I were you!!

Only teasing...no risk of being flamed... Smiley

I'm sure you'd noticed, but I've just been given a moderating role on this site. I've no intention of being heavy handed in any aspect, but one of my primary duties is ensuring the site guidelines are "enforced".

Given that one of those guidelines is No Profiteering in Sell or Swap forum then that's what we'll aim to achieve. It's never going to work 100%, or satisfy everyone. However, a more active moderation than we are used to might result in something closer to the guidelines. My personal view, and I stand to be corrected, is that "reasonable" costs can be requested (postage, even an allowance for calls to ACO - certainly no more than a fiver or thereabouts onto ticket price).

It's already been pointed out today in another post where tickets can be freely traded. Maybe I should guide profiteers towards those sites in the Guidelines post.

I'm wondering whether to delete links or references to specific ads, as that could be seen as a way round the site "rules" - if a person advertises elsewhere and then links to it from here is virtually the same as posting here. However today's post was to point out the crazy prices and was not promoting the sale, in my opinion.

Regarding "Offers invited" ads, at the moment I'm considering not deleting them, but instead adding a reminder about the site guidelines. Their fate will probably be very subjective depending on my mood  Wink.

(btw I know someone who applied at pre-q last year but didn't get his allocation - powermite?)
SimonKE
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2003, 11:14:58 am »

>>I know someone who applied at pre-q last year but didn't get his allocation

What???  Applied for 2003 tickets @ PQ 2002??!!  Bl**dy hell...and he STILL didn't get any??

Even for the French, the ACO are bizarre!!
Rich - Team Gulp Racing
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2003, 04:30:24 pm »

Surely, the fairest way to offer tickets for sale is at face value (or with a very small mark-up to cover P&P, and tel calls to ACO, etc, as Smokie suggested).

Any other way, such as 'Offers Invited', will result in an auction to the highest bidder, and there are sites which already cater for people who want to pay over the odds (as we saw elsewhere recently - £120?).

If there's one rule  for everyone at Club Arnage, then everyone should be content in the knowledge that we're not being ripped off, and that (here at least) there isn't somebody ready to fleece you.

In the spirit of Le Mans, and if I had spare tickets!, I would certainly be prepared to sell them at face value so other 'Club Members' could get to the event.

If you are prepared to pay well over the odds for tickets, I suggest you search the other auction sites, etc, on a regular basis.

Club Arnage is about 'Le Mans', 'Racing', 'Beer',  'Useful Info', 'Beer', 'Commer Vans' and 'having a laugh'. Profiteerers, speculators and people out to make a fast buck should do so elsewhere.

That said, I blame the ACO for having a totally inefficient, and unreliable ticket ordering system which can only result in everyone ordering tickets 3 years in advance, and ordering far more than they eventually need.

I'd welcome some figures from the ACO showing how many tickets are sold each year but which remain unused (especially to Tour Ops). Although, with the current system there's no way of knowing how many are used anyway!

Has anyone ever seen a post from the ACO on club arnage? Maybe they should receive an official invitation to join, Chris?

« Last Edit: May 14, 2003, 09:01:01 am by smokie » Logged

Team Gulp Racing     - Established 1997

Le Mans 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007...
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2003, 08:59:41 am »

Just FYI, I now have clearer guidance on this site's user agreements, which is summarised in the sticky note at the top of this forum. Basically this is:

• Offers for sale to include offer price
  • Requests for tickets not worded to encourage profiteering
  • No links or references to sites which could be considered profiteering
Ruptured Duck Motorsport
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2003, 10:33:27 am »

• No links or references to sites which could be considered profiteering

Hhehehehe - that'll be **** out of the window.  Ops should I say "****" instead  Wink

Yep, you're not wrong there...Da moderator
« Last Edit: May 14, 2003, 10:46:09 am by smokie » Logged

Scarred old slaver know he’s doin’ alright.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: