Club Arnage
May 07, 2024, 06:58:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Daytona 24 hours  (Read 10606 times)
Peter
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2003, 12:14:41 am »

I know it's a bit outside the mandate for this sight but, in my pursuit of new experiences (and Oh I do pursue them!) has anyone been to, or have any knowledge of the Daytona 24 Hours? Like, is it worth going to? All replies gratefully received etc.
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2003, 12:49:57 am »

I went to the 12 hours of Sebring this year and it was excellent. Dunno about Daytona though.
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2003, 01:26:52 am »

I'm an ex-pat Brit, living in central FL and I've been to the Daytona 24 Hrs twice, since I've been here. The facility is fantastic and a million times more fan friendly than Le Mans, but it is not a particularly good enduro circuit, from a purists point of view - being designed as a NASCAR superspeedway, the infield road course is a bit of an afterthought. This year saw the introduction of the Daytona Prototype (Fabcar) formula powered by a mixture of Porsche, Chevy and Ford motors - and there was obviously a lot of developing still to be done (they're getting there now, however). There was - and is always a large and varied grid and all of the cars are very fast on the banked section of the course. Weather is usually great (a bit chilly at night) and the crowd is small - about 75K at a circuit which seats 250,000 for the Daytona 500 - so you've plenty of room to wander about with no restricted viewing.
Air fares from UK are cheap at that time of year - and I'd recommend it for a relaxed, no hassle and very good race weekend.
That said, if you are into really classic races, wait until early March and do the 12 Hours of Sebring, which is a belter or get saving and come over for the Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta in October. A mere sprint, by Le Grand Le Mans standards, the circuit is utterly brilliant and the race action intense. Probably the best endurance race in the world from a spectators perspective - and a proper end of season piss-up too.
I've only been here a couple of years - for a more informed opinion, seek out the views of Canada Phil, Pigeon, Fax and my brother Dave - they've all been doing these races for years.
Unfortunately, once you've experienced the North American offering, events in Europe (and Le Mans in particular) seem poor value in comparison.
Get over here - you won't regret it.        

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Rich
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2003, 01:29:11 am »

Been to the Daytona 24 many times. Not as good with Grand American (NASCAR) running it, but if you stay and go to the Daytona 500 it's worth the trip. Like the Indy 500, everyone should go at least once. Sebring is the sports car race to see in the states. Mini LeMans!! Enjoy
Dave H
CA Veteran

burrrrrrrrppppp

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2003, 02:03:58 am »

Not too much to add to the above comments.
Rolex is great as you can hang in the garages during the night and basically chat with the grease monkies as they work on the cars.  Photo opportunities don't really get any better if you want shots of semi-dismantled cars and frantic crews.  However, last year really appeared to be a bit of a sad state of affairs from a race standpoint - I first attended in the early 90s when the field was a lot more interesting - 911s, Cameros, Mustangs, RX7s all the way through prototypes.  Not anymore obviously.  And Matt's right - the weather can be a bit of a bitch at Rolex - nice in the day and bollock-freezing at night.  Rent a camper!

Sebring is truly a fantastic event - the track has so much atmosphere you can't help but have fun.  Just pray it doesn't rain, eh Smokie?

But I too feel that today, the Petit has the benefits of all of these races without the drawbacks.  If you are there for the cars do the Petit - and come a week early and do the USGP up here in Indy.  If you are looking for a piss-up, burn-outs on the roads round the track and more sunburned Englishmen than you can say "Oooh, Christ, I bet that hurts", then I think you know where you need to go.
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2003, 06:15:39 am »

Hi Peter, Mostly been said already so I will just add. Daytona Rolex 24 Not what it used to be....
I too recommend  Sebring 12 hour in mid March also an excellent time to visit Florida. Petit in October is an excellent race too, often with the championship riding on the result.  F1 at Indy is quite doable too Roll Eyes
$75 seats and $69 motels cheapest F1 race in the world I think. NASCAR too you really can do it all.
You did ask  Grin
Canada Phil
Fax
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2003, 05:35:24 pm »

Hi Peter,
Can't add too much more than that which has already been posted. I would have to rate the Petit & Sebring as the two "must see's" of the three. As Phil said, the Rolex isn't what it used to be. I'm not at all a fan of the new Grand-Am regs but I did see them a few weeks ago at Mid-Ohio. Can't say that it was a thrill-a-minute. The prototypes are painfully slow compared to the ALMS guys and the meeting had more the feeling of a SCCA club meet rather that that of a pro series. Also the Daytona security can be very thuggish which, while it may be necessary for the bike & good-ole-boy crowd is completely over the top for the small sporstcar crowd.
Do Sebring & the Petit, you'll absolutely love'em.
Fax
Peter
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2003, 12:20:03 am »

Thanks to you all guys, very valued opinions. My brother in law and I have been doing a race a year for few years now and we went to the US GP last year. It absolutely bowled me over! The facilities (after Europe, which tend to be overpriced crap) were unbelivable but, most of all, the people (in Indie, I dont pretend to know America) were FANTASTIC! Incidentally, for what it's worth, I thoroughly recommend the Slippery Noodle Inn in Indianapolis, you want a good night? You will get one! Thanks again for the advice, all taken to heart, I will let you know what we decide.
Peter
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2003, 12:32:59 am »

Oh, just remembered, last years US GP, the race was crap! Not the fault of Indianaplois though, probably something to do with the Germans and the Italians! Seriously though, what is it coming to when the defintition of a good race is one which Schumacher (M?) doesnt win? AND, if anyone missed my earlier post, Indianaplois Speedway, you are never further than about 100 yards from a food and drink outlet. What more could you want? (answers in a sealed enevelope to the usual adress please.)
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2003, 12:55:46 am »

Hey Fax You'r alive.  Roll Eyes Missed you at Le Sarthe.
Hope all is well.  Mosport in August Huh
Come on you know you want to.Garunteed Cold Warstarter at corner 5.
Canada Phil
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2003, 10:18:00 am »

I'm travelling to Denver in August (9th to 30th) Probably take a week in the middle travelling around (Vegas, Grand Canyon etc) Are there any races in the vacinity that are worth taking in??

Thanks
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2003, 07:36:50 pm »

Colorado and Nevada are not reknowned as motorsports mecca's, it has to be said.....
Colorado - If you don't ski, don't bother
Nevada - two words "Whores and Poker"
I think there is a historic sportscar meeting at Laguna Seca (Monterey penninsular in southern CA) in mid August.
It's a bit of a schlep from Vegas but is a very agreeable part of the world.
Not much racing activity around the Grand Canyon either - but if you've not been there, don't miss it for a motor race - 'awesome' is a word that is over-used here - but it genuinely applies to that big ol' hole in the ground.  

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2003, 12:22:24 am »

Thanks for the info Matt. I'll just have to console myself with the fact that I can go back to Le Mans in November.

Can't avoid Colorado unfortunately, my sister in law and brother in law moved out there last September so we are going to visit them. Hopefully Denver will have something to offer (Six Flags, Water World, Coors Brewery) and we will take in a log cabin in The Rockies too. The Grand Canyon is definately on our agenda. Hopefully so is Vegas (Well it's on mine anyway, whether the missus and kids come I'm not sure.  Cheesy
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Real men do it for 24 hours

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2003, 02:00:20 am »

I have been going to Daytona since 1997.
Nothing like Le Mans but has it's own atmosphere.

Can be warm in the daytime and freeze nuts off
at night. Yes, there is much more night at that
time of year.

I only go because it is my job, I am not sure I would
make the trip if it was just for that. OK if it is part of
a Florida holiday but not otherwise.

Better is Sebring 12 hours - better time of year and
better atmosphere. Coincides often with Daytona bike week.
Also worth the trip.

Fax
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2003, 09:19:16 pm »

JPCHENET,
Just thought you might be interested. The CART Champ Cars have a race on August 31 in downtown Denver. You need to stick around for another day. You won't be sorry.
Fax
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: