Club Arnage
May 07, 2024, 03:01:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aston makes it two in a row  (Read 2682 times)
Fax
« on: July 17, 2006, 04:13:33 am »

Congrats to the Prodrive guys for making it two in a row.
I suspect however IMSA may now be re-thinking the Corvette ballast.  Nice, hard fought race with the winning R10 and second place Porsche just a few feet apart at the finish.
Looks like a nice, but somewhat odd looking new circuit.
New state of the art facilities but the 4.5 mile circuit is flat as a board, in the middle of the Utah desert.  The whole place is one giant sand runoff trap.  Not much need for tire barriers, just go sliding off into the scenery until the car slows down.  The jack rabbits, horned toads, and bobcats probably had a great view Grin
Fax
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 01:30:59 pm by Fax » Logged
Fax
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 02:21:08 pm »

Come to think of it, the circuit looks like the old Stardust Can-Am circuit just outside Las Vegas.  If you spin off, the worst thing that could happen was you'd clobber a cactus. Grin....Ouch!
Fax
RichUK
CA Veteran

KK

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 03:41:43 pm »

Certainly no barriers needed!

I've come to believe that Le Mans is the centre of the universe.
johnevans3
CA Veteran

Howdy Pardner

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 04:05:02 pm »

Since IMSA has "dumbed down" Corvette's performance, I think the win would be more appropriately theirs rather than Prodrive.   With what IMSA is doing and will surely do to the Spyders and perhaps Audi, I'll bet that IMSA can win every race and category.

The track did have a slight elevation change but basically looked like a 4 mile Go Kart track. 
Fax
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 04:34:00 pm »

At one point one of the Alex Job Porsche's went sailing off the track at high speed and he just kept the foot down powering across the desert until he got turned and headed back toward the track, looked like he was headed for Vegas and the Bunny Ranch. Grin
Reminded me of one of those Porsche 959's on the Paris-Dakar.
Fax
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 04:35:50 pm by Fax » Logged
Fax
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 05:16:13 pm »

A colleague here at work saw the race on TV and was joking about the cars flying off into the desert, and made a very good point, wouldn't it suck if you picked up a passenger in the form of a big Western Diamondback? Shocked
Fax
johnevans3
CA Veteran

Howdy Pardner

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 07:58:56 pm »

Here is a quote as to what IMSA has done to de-fang the 'vettes.

"The Utah Grand Prix will be the first ALMS event contested at the new state-of-the-art 4.5-mile Miller Motorsports Park circuit. Qualifying was conducted in 100-degree heat at the high-altitude (4,923 feet) track. The Corvettes have a 199-pound weight handicap, 10-liter smaller fuel tanks, and 6 percent smaller engine intake air restrictors (compared to the Astons) at this event as a result of performance adjustments imposed by the sanctioning body."

These "adjustments" provided 2 mph slower qualfying speeds and saw the Astons building a 15 second lead in just a few laps.  I see the same thing with Roger's Spyders coming soon.  Too close to P-1 and too fast for P-2.  ...and I always thought that innovation was part of the equation.  I guess I totally missed that one!!
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 10:59:52 pm »

Good damn you Fax ! Thats two races that you have spoiled for me before i have had time to watch them on tape. We don't all get the chance to watch them live and I had to wait to tape the highlights this morning. Just about to watch it now.

Didn't see it live because i was out watching live racing at the stock cars at Northampton.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: