Club Arnage
May 10, 2024, 02:46:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Stands at the Esses?  (Read 4500 times)
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2003, 02:17:13 pm »

Just seen on the ACO site the announcement of new grandstands at the Esses - text is copied as follows to save looking it up (try not to laugh too much at the bulls**t PR hype:

"Forever anxious to improve the level of welcome and comfort of its spectators, the Automobile Club de l’Ouest will be setting up two new open grandstands which can be dismantled, at the entry to the ESSES of the Tertre Rouge.  Located outside the track, these two grandstands, the seats of which will be on sale at €77, will offer an unrestricted view of the best spots of the circuit: the Dunlop descent, the Chapel Corner and the entry into the ESSES of the Tertre Rouge.   Incomparable visibility, the guarantee of seeing the cars overtaking and braking… that’s what should delight a great many fans of the “24 Heures du Mans”.

Anyone know any more details?   Does this spell the end of one of the best free general viewing areas?

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
GeeBee
CA Veteran

MORE BEER GARCON!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2003, 09:32:33 am »

Go on then, what's all this &#8230 lark then? Is it the ACO equivalent of the "grey geese fly tonight" messages where all the bridges are blown up by the resistance?

Big H seems to have found a use for it (see "Am I the first?") but I'm at a loss. Can it be included in everday conversation?

Inquisitive of Cheshire.

GeeBee
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2003, 10:09:48 am »

You cracked the code! And there was me thinking it could be a gallic "stuff the english", or "ferry workers - we strike tonight".   Nothing so exciting I'm afraid - just the way that the the copy and paste function transferred it from the ACO site to this one, without me noticing it before hitting the post button.   Mind you, with the bizarre way that the ACO work, it wouldn't surprise me if there was still some fragment of secret code in there - either that or it was just the ACO PR crew wetting themselves with excitement at the prospect of us all being overcome with emotion at them so thoughtfully providing more facilities for our comfort.........

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2003, 12:46:01 pm »

Just had a horrible thought. Does this new tribune mean:

1. We won't be able to watch from the old earth banking along the essses, one of my favourite places to watch, epecially at night?

2. Have they cut down the wonderful old Scots pines, which in my opinion are so evocative of the only public part of the track which has remained unchanged over the years? Those trees have seen more races and action than Whistling Jack Smith. If so, this would be an act of envirmental and historic vandalism by the ACO.

Can anyone shed any light?

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Mulsanne on a sunny June Sunday; it's a hard life!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2003, 03:11:28 pm »

I still miss that corking viewing from the mound at the bottom of the hill from Dunlop before the new bit was put in. Now a bleedin' gravel trap.  Angry

Back in the 80s before good old Radio Le Mans was even a twinkle in the milkman's eye, remember spending all night on the aforementioned grassy knoll, blissfully drifting off throughout the night waking on the half hour every hour in response to the 5 minutes of English commentary we would get (if you could hear it!) .. those were the days (cue the "Four Yorkshiremen" sketch - "You we're lucky! We used to live in t' shoebox in t' middle of t' road" etc.........)

Grin
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2003, 10:09:04 am »

Andy - I am only guessing, but I would imagine (and am hoping) that as the ACO have said they will be on the outside of the circuit, that these new stands will go on what is left of the the old fairground area since the circuit change there last year; the area amongst the trees is probably too hilly to put up temporary stands - I agree that it is one of the best and most atmospheric areas up there and along the stretch to Tetre Rouge since the fun police started in earnest with catch fencing and layout changes over the last 8 years or so, particularly since last years change to the Arnage viewing area.   With the removal of the earth banking last year at the trackside bit of Karting Nord, I suspect that it won't be long before the hospitality stands start extending down that way as well.    

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: