Club Arnage
May 05, 2024, 12:21:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's talk about the revised Safety Car procedure for 2024?  (Read 522 times)
clkgtrlm1
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Le Mans - Follow the Carbon Footprints!

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2024, 03:18:29 pm »

Belated Happy New Year.

New topic, Purely because there has been no chat for a long time......................

What do we think about the ACO / WEC revised regulation for the the Safety Car procedure for 2024?

Anything got to be better than last year surely?

clk

Baldrick, my Lord! But I can change it to Ploppy if it'll make things easier.
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2024, 03:05:09 pm »

Well, abandonment of the sorting of cars by category will for sure shorten the duration of each safety car phase, this simply took to much time last year. Compared to the pre-2023 procedure each safety car phase was about 15-20 minutes longer in 2023. I'm still not a fan of the "wave-by. Probably more exciting for the race but very questionable from a sporting point of view. Why the hell should cars which have lost already a full lap get this back?

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2024, 06:06:42 pm »

Not a great fan of safety cars at LM, seen to many races ruined by them, the year the Pink Pig won, 3 of the 4 classes were basically over before half way due to safety car interventions and insurmountable time gaps when the race resumed. The cars are far to reliable these days, if a lap or even 3 minutes is lost it is very difficult to make that up.
I much prefer full course yellows.
I appreciate that some issues require the safety car to provide gaps in the traffic, however I think more situations could be covered by a FCY, especially if severe penalties were dished out to drivers taking the p*ss.
I would almost prefer to see the race red flagged, the cars pulled into the pits and then, on resumption, released in the order and time gaps than the vagaries of a SC.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 06:08:39 pm by Barry » Logged
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2024, 09:05:06 am »

I fully agree, Barry. I also wondered occasionally why they sent out the safety cars just to retrieve one car out of the gravel on a 9 mile track. "Slow Zones" would have often been sufficcient.

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2024, 06:43:05 pm »

The safety car has corrupted the results in F1 all too often in recent years, as cars run to different pit stop and tyre strategies but can win a free pit stop.  LM is a little simpler, and the old system was about as good as you'll get, but the merge and pass around mean you don't just gain a 20 pitstop, but you can gain up to a whole lap.  I suspect this comes from the Nascar principle of bunching the cars up to create more overtaking, but the whole concept is unfair.  Next clever idea will be having a raffle, and if you win you gain a free lap

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: