Club Arnage
May 19, 2024, 08:04:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SPEEDING IN FRANCE  (Read 4727 times)
jd4breakfast
CA Veteran

MADAS

View Profile WWW
« on: January 11, 2005, 07:16:50 pm »

the minute i get off that ferry im going to kane it all the way to lemans ive got the latest  road angel speed detector will it work over there HuhHuh??
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 07:33:36 pm »

the minute i get off that ferry im going to kane it all the way to lemans ive got the latest  road angel speed detector will it work over there HuhHuh??

Yes it will work. The French police also have a detector for it, which may pick it up before you detect them. They don't like it.
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 08:34:59 pm »

I've heard of the police stopping cars with radar detectors and ripping them out of the car, not caring what damage they do to your dashboard,  and then they put it un der your back wheel and make you reverse over it!!!

I'd think twice if I were you!!
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 11:05:33 pm »

...I'd heard the same, except you also get a hefty fine...

Let us know how you get on  Smiley
DavidsDad
CA Veteran

It's too early, switch off the a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 11:26:03 pm »

Ref reply #2 above,

WHAT?Huh?!!!  

I think I'd leave that piece of kit at home then, mate!

Ay up, I know we sometimes complain about our plods, but come on.....

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 10:15:49 am »

I seem to recall from one of the other threads recently that they're also using the laser-derived kit that will pick you up from a mile or more away, before Road Angel will have even woken up from snooze mode.......

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 11:11:41 am »

maybe it's better to take it easy going down to LM, they make you pay your fine on the spot aswell Undecided

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
chrisbeatty
CA Veteran

Note to self, think of something witty.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 12:20:34 pm »

See this active thread!!

http://www.clubarnage.com/yabbse/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=2755

I heard that the Gendarmes are not keen on radar/laser detectors, you usually get a fine & they take it off you, never to be seen again Shocked

Technically they're all illegal in most of Europe, we get away with it in the UK luckily Grin

I don't know how they'd track down a GPS detector like yours, but is it worth the risk?? I leave my detector at home every year, haven't been caught over in France & I don't do S-L-O-W, just be sensible & keep a good look out for hiding places.
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2005, 01:05:01 pm »

Good point - Road Angel (and others) use GPS data to plot your position relative to static speed cameras. I am pretty sure they would NOT have locations of static cameras outside the UK. Maybe RA can download French data to you (if they have it) for the duration.

But Road Angel also uses laser and radar detection of mobile devices, both of which upset Les Flics because they will continue to work OK abroad.
pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2005, 02:36:02 pm »

Further to Smokie's reply it can only be the laser detection aspects of Road Angel that can be illegal surely.

I doubt if GPS data reception is illegal on the continent as anyone owning a satnav system would also fall foul of the law - not likely I suspect.

From what I understand the Laser detector aspect of the Road Angel is a separately pluggable device, so that part of it could be removed before travelling.

If it was me though I'd probably remove all of the kit anyway.  The thought of discussing the technical capabilities of ANY speed detection equipment in French with the Gendarmes doesn't sound like much fun.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 02:39:24 pm by pretzel » Logged

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
jd4breakfast
CA Veteran

MADAS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2005, 05:52:45 pm »

THANKS  for the info lads think ill just leave it at home and look out for the cops in hiding places !!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2005, 11:30:38 pm »

Further to Smokie's reply it can only be the laser detection aspects of Road Angel that can be illegal surely.

I doubt if GPS data reception is illegal on the continent as anyone owning a satnav system would also fall foul of the law - not likely I suspect.

GPS data reception is certainly legal in France. Maps of the locations of static radar traps are freely available in France and available on the web, with government cooperation, such as: http://www.linternaute.com/0redac_actu/0410_octobre/carte-de-france-des-radars.shtml
Problem is not with these static cameras, which are preceded by large warning signs, but with the mobile sneaky laser-type things which are gendarme operated, and which you won't know about until they pull you over.
pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2005, 04:29:06 pm »

GPS data reception is certainly legal in France. Maps of the locations of static radar traps are freely available in France and available on the web, with government cooperation, such as: http://www.linternaute.com/0redac_actu/0410_octobre/carte-de-france-des-radars.shtml
Problem is not with these static cameras, which are preceded by large warning signs, but with the mobile sneaky laser-type things which are gendarme operated, and which you won't know about until they pull you over.

For the benefit of jd4breakfast I have always found that the local motorists are very quick to warn oncoming traffic of the presence of mobile speed traps by flashing their lights. So if you get flashed -  obey the speed limit.  It's not foolproof but certainly helpful.

I'm sure that along with me there are numerous others who frequent this site that have benefited from this help by our French cousins over the years.

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
jd4breakfast
CA Veteran

MADAS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2005, 06:45:57 pm »

Thanks again
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: