Club Arnage
May 05, 2024, 03:35:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: radio Le Mans its great, but....  (Read 2412 times)
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« on: June 18, 2003, 02:45:55 pm »

This year I thought I noticed a change in Radio Le Mans. I remember what it was like before they began, and how tricky it was trying to keep up with the action. I remember when they first started and how the broadcasters enthusiasm made up for the slightly amateurish presentation. This year, the broadcast was more professional than ever. However as one of those lucky enough to be there, I was a little confused as to whether the braodcasts were targeted more toward those listening on the internet and less to those at the race. It felt at times that the show was more about being entertaining and less about providing ongoing race informtaion and as a result I felt it was a little diconnected from what was actually happening on the circuit. I must at this point say that the coverage from the pits was spot on at all times. It made me wonder if perhaps the needs have changed as a result of the arrival of new communication technology and perhaps radio Le Mans should consider prividing two services. One that entertains the casual non attending listner who will no doubt dip in and out, and one which provides up to the moment race commentary, more like it did when it first started? monkey  
IanB
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2003, 02:52:53 pm »

Monkey Whilst there I thought something was different about their presentation,  It just lacked a certain something I agreed with you
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2003, 10:34:31 pm »

I know what you mean, but I have a lot of sympathy for their predicament.   The pit lane stuff is spot on because of the guys running up and down the pit lane.   The rest can sometimes seem off because they are stuck in a media room relying on the ACO TV pictures and timing screens, assisted by guys out on the circuit willing to text or call in wjhen stuff happens.   Bear in mind also that there were no TV pictures from 10pm to 6am (french union rules).   The other aspect, knowing that they had no sponsors to speak of other than Autosport this year probably meant that they needed to drum up business for the future.   Finally, I know that mates in the USA and the like love it because they get real, raw, politically incorrect commentary (did you hear John Hindhaugh's statement about "marketing bollox" after the finish?) - for them its the closest that a lot of them can get to the race, and if it encourages other people to come then that has got to be a good thing.   Still, I know what you mean - I think that the hourly update was missing for about 4 hours on Sunday morning!

Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2003, 11:27:19 pm »

As I could not get to Le Mans this year, I had to with the Internet and Euro Sport. It was good, but it did lack a bit - seemed very serious at times. - Bring back the old days, when it seemed it was done from the back of a van.

I did hear John Hindhaugh's statement about "marketing bollox", just after that my internet connection broke down and could not get back to Radio Le Mans for 30 mins.

Roll Eyes  NEXT YEAR I WILL THERE IN PERSON......... Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: June 19, 2003, 12:36:21 am by smokie » Logged

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: