Club Arnage
May 08, 2024, 10:55:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: View from the Ring?  (Read 3701 times)
Fax
« on: July 11, 2004, 08:01:33 am »

Just looked at the photos taken from the Ring in Race Coverage....Is that the best you can do from the spectators areas at they call that little scalextric track they call the "Nurburgring" these days.
Jesus!  You get a better view than that from the cheap seats at Indy for the USGP.  Whay out in the boonies!
You guys need to go to Sebring, Road Atlanta or Mid-Ohio......Really!
John
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 12:31:44 am »

Fax, the best view i have had was at Thruxton a few months ago, No catch fencing and 2 metres from the cars. Excellent, and probably never bettered.

Take life by the horns and live it.
Fax
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 06:31:50 pm »

Hi Robbo,
Someday I would like to see a race at Thruxton.  It was the venue for some of the classic battles of the old Euro F2 Championship and the sweepers out around the back of the circut have always looked like real sorters of the men from the boys.  I should clarify tthat I wasn't being critical of the pics from the Ring (they're quite nice), just the vanatge point you guys had to spectate from.  Looks like they've got the spectators a hell of a long way from the action.
John
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 01:52:46 am »

John, it seems all the circuits are doing the same,

A long way back, either up high, or on a backed grass area.

And always behing catch fencing.

It states on most tickets

MOTORSPORT is DANGEROUS, but i find British roads are more deadly than most circuits i have been to.

Take life by the horns and live it.
pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 02:42:28 pm »

Someday I would like to see a race at Thruxton.  It was the venue for some of the classic battles of the old Euro F2 Championship and the sweepers out around the back of the circut have always looked like real sorters of the men from the boys.  

Fax,

It is a good circuit and no mistake, the only problem is the very corners you would really want to see Goodwood, Village and Church, etc.. are (or at least were) out of bounds to the paying public.

Last time I went it was only possible to spectate from the pre start/finish chicane around to the Campbell/Seagrave/Cobb complex. This represents about half of the lap. Shame really....

Edited to correct obvious spelling mistake.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2004, 11:16:09 pm by pretzel » Logged

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2004, 04:15:37 pm »

John, it seems all the circuits are doing the same,

A long way back, either up high, or on a backed grass area.

And always behing catch fencing.

No catch fence here  Kiss

* Santa_Pod_Thunderball_2004_010.jpg (78.4 KB, 560x420 - viewed 140 times.)

Steve East Anglian cobras

Fax
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2004, 06:50:19 pm »

Hi Pretzel,
That's a shame about Thruxton, sounds a bit like Road America.  Some of the most exciting parts of the track (the kink on the run down to Canada Corner, etc.) are off limits to the paying punters.  Debris fencing unfortunately is a way of life over here as well.  It serves its purpose though, Matt Harper was almost decapitated by the nose section of a Porsche 962 at Le Mans several years ago and I had the wheel torn from a Formula Atlantic car deflected over my head at Mid-Ohio once by the debris fence.  It would've hit me right on the noggin if the fencing hadn't been there.
John
pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2004, 11:08:54 pm »

Fax,

If you are ever over here and want to see some racing at close quarters AND see almost all of the track from one vantage point, as well as being able to spectate all around then I recommend Castle Combe in deepest darkest Wiltshire.

It's another deceptively fast track (though not as sphincter clenching as the really fast bits of Thruxton) and with a really good clubby atmosphere. There's no catch fencing to speak of and they even have their own GT series.

What's more it's in a lovely setting, situated just off a beautiful rural village that has tremendous pubs and accommodation.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2004, 11:14:35 pm by pretzel » Logged

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2004, 09:59:35 am »

Just looked at the photos taken from the Ring in Race Coverage....Is that the best you can do from the spectators areas at they call that little scalextric track they call the "Nurburgring" these days.
Jesus!  You get a better view than that from the cheap seats at Indy for the USGP.  Whay out in the boonies!
You guys need to go to Sebring, Road Atlanta or Mid-Ohio......Really!
John

What do you expect from a F1 circuit ? The grand stands are miles away from the cars and it's mostly fenced up nicely. Still, I tried to do my best, honestly.  Grin

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
Ruptured Duck Motorsport
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2004, 09:37:43 am »

I quite enjoy Thruxton, tend to view from the grandstands at the Club Chicane - almost guarenteed that every lap after that lovely run through Goodwood, Village and Church (making it the fastest circuit in the UK), cars tend to hit the chicane 3 or 4 abreast, with enough room on the exit for just one.  Spectacular.  

The Clios that supported the BTCC last year was the most entertaining motorsport I have ever spectated! Cool

Yet to get to Coombe, even though it is just up the road.  Off to Croft this weekend...

Scarred old slaver know he’s doin’ alright.
Ron Jeremy
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2004, 10:54:15 am »

or this close at oulton park

* ScanImage001.jpg (146.53 KB, 1115x754 - viewed 217 times.)

and i was rummaging around in the loft, when i found an original copy of the bible.....which was nice
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: