Club Arnage
May 10, 2024, 11:51:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help With New Camera Lens!  (Read 6218 times)
Kev_mk3
Club Arnage God

The Cheeky Northern Monkey

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2009, 10:54:18 pm »

Basically i want a better lens for distance and to capture the object better as the main pictures i shoot are at Motorsport tracks. Jules has told me what lens he has but ive totally forgotten Sad

Below are some shots with my standard Canon 350d lens to show you the distance im shooting from to try to help me!

now the 2 lens ive looked at are the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG APO Macro Lens or Sigma 18-50mm

Im looking to spend around £150 if possible so if anyone is able to advise ill owe you a beer or crate as im off out to get them this weekend ready for my trip to germany in 3 weeks Smiley

Kev

Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 11:48:59 pm »

Looking at the first picture of the Aston, it needs to be about 4 times bigger, so assuming the standard lense was at maximum zoom (55mm), you need something about 4 times bigger or 200mm.  You also need some wire cutters, so a <300mm zoom makes sense.

You then have to see what you can afford.  The Canon lenses, are very good, especially the ones costing a couple of grand, but I had an 80-300 Sigma (non APO) and its a disappointment.  Canon do make 80-300 lenses in your price range, but finding an honest opinion on which is better is going to be difficult.

What I would suggest is that you buy a lense designed only for Digital cameras as the are smaller (and hence cheaper) and remember that unless you are going to print A4 photos, a lense doesn't have to be perfect - for computer use you'll get away with some basic kit.  What may also be important is things like the USM to get it to focus quickly enough.

I have 3 friends that use Canon cameras and all of them use Canon lenses.  Two are on the expensive kit, and the third is more budget but takes good pictures at Le Mans.

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Brad Zarse
Demi Moore's toy boy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Drinking can be hazardous to your health.....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 11:56:50 pm »

Save your money for a trip to Nurburgring with us in May mate Smiley

Right - first off - 30-50 mm will get you NOWHERE near where you want to get - it'll not even get you closer than your current lens.

I spent ages playing with a 300mm lens, which was good - and I still have it (you can borrow it if you wish). The beauty of that lens is that your camera has an APS sized sensor, which effectively means that it magnifies the mm length of your lens by about a third - so a 300mm lens performs nearer to a 400mm lens - 400mm is roughly where you want to be to get proper car shots.  

Until about 3 weeks ago, I have a 100-400mm Canon L series lens, but unless you have about 8 times the budget you have got, you wont want one of those Cheesy

The best advice I would give you though Kev, is to pick your photography locations more carefully.  Have a look at some of the shots I've taken at Le-Mans on Facebook and below, and you'll see what I mean......

Good luck mate - drop me a line if you need any more help.

- It's amazing what you can do without being noticed Wink

alright this one is more about showing off Wink

Check out my band!  www.blackmarketband.co.uk
On Facebook:  www.facebook.com/bandblackmarket

See you at a gig soon?
Kev_mk3
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 12:10:17 am »

many thanks Chaps, the 18-55mm is out of the window and currently watching a couple of lens on ebay to try to keep within budget. Brad as for location at the ring ive got that covered as i had a good scout around last time (nearly got in alot of trouble for a few shots as i got across the track  Roll Eyes ) really seems the 70-300mm is where i need to aim.

Brad a pm awaits

Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 01:27:13 pm »

There is no substitute for time and patience and no matter what lens or the money you spend will help!

I was in a simillar postion to you, needed a more powerful lens, but did not have the required budget so opted for a canon 80 - 300 lens for my 300d.

Ford chicane from the inside of the track.
http://rupert8766.fotopic.net/p52042070.html

Run up to the Dunlop Chicane for the inside
http://rupert8766.fotopic.net/p51958490.html

And Goodwood start.
http://rupert8766.fotopic.net/p44672007.html

I am pretty happy with these so in the context of the fact it was all I was allowed could spend the canon lens has been ok

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
TobyAnscombe

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 01:39:51 pm »

Kev - I cant remember but I *might* have a Sigma 28-300 kicking around at home which has never been used (I have a 100-400L which I use as my tele).

I'm out tonight but I will let you know; willing to let you have it for a reasonable fee Grin
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 01:48:29 pm »

Now I think about it, I have a load of old lenses n stuff knocking around at my mum's house from the days when I could be ar*sed to carry all the gear around! 

Not sure what kind of connecting thingies tho....but seem to recall push, twist, click.  I think the camera body was an Olympus OM something or other if that makes a difference ... (its increasingly obvious why my photography hobby didnt get very far isnt it!)

If any of it fits you are more than welcome to have a borrow and see what does/doesnt work for you.

I will have a look and see what is there this weekend and let you know.  (I seem to remember having a 2 x converter as well which did a reasonable job so long as you have good light...)

F

P.S.  Might have to come to some barter arrangement with you whisking your magic polishing cloths over my old Corollie instead of cash!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 01:53:59 pm by Fran » Logged
Kev_mk3
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 06:54:49 pm »

Rup - i know time and patience is needed and i have plenty of that as im not driving to Germany my friend is ill have all the time in the world to snap away Smiley

TobyAnscombe - If you have let me know and we can come to some sort of a agreement im sure as im currently watching at least 10 on ebay  angel

Fran - no cloths but im sure we can come to a agreement Smiley

Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 03:31:57 am »

Fran - no cloths but im sure we can come to a agreement Smiley
Everything is negotiable!
TobyAnscombe

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 09:36:56 am »

Kev - got back late last night but yes, I do have a spare lens..

I'll take some photos and get the specs sorted tonight and send you a PM
TobyAnscombe

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 08:52:16 am »

Right then young Kev..

Its a Sigma 28-300 zoom f3.5-6.3

its the slightly older version of http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/lenses/standardzoom/28-300mm.htm

Comes with a UV filter and I think I have a circular polarizer somewhere as well..

Make me an offer..£180 ish +p&p will get you the new one from warehouse express
Kev_mk3
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 02:04:07 pm »

pm sent

Kev_mk3
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 07:36:21 pm »

Kev - I cant remember but I *might* have a Sigma 28-300 kicking around at home which has never been used (I have a 100-400L which I use as my tele).

I'm out tonight but I will let you know; willing to let you have it for a reasonable fee Grin
arrived today toby and it does just what i wanted thanks Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: