Club Arnage
May 17, 2024, 01:30:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: On the run - Escaping the traffic at the end of the race - alternative method  (Read 6050 times)
aricus654
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2016, 12:41:01 am »

If like me you like to watch the finish at the start/finish line and then join the crowds watching prize giving, you might find this a better route away at the end of the race.

Getting out of the many campsites can be fraught with delays, especially when many multiple campsites feed into a single exit.

An alternative is to pack up and move your car out of the campsites, but instead of Mulsanne, I suggest moving to the Carrefour Hypermarket car park situated on Avenue Georges Durand a couple of hours before the end.

The supermarket is closed on Sundays, however the petrol station there is open as is the covered car park, where you can leave your car. (You could leave it beside the road if you are worried about car park clamping, but this, to my knowledge, is not a disease that has spread to Le Mans.)

The Carrefour is a couple of stops up from the circuit, but it's only a few hundred metres to south to Tetre Rouge and an entrance to the circuit, so an easy walk.

After the finish and prize giving, you can meander up over the Dunlop bridge and out of the circuit and back to your car, perhaps taking a coffee and slice of cake at the patisserie Bouvet Jean-marie  just before the Carrefour.

Remembering that the main traffic delays are to the west of Le Mans, travel south and east.

I would suggest travelling south along Avenue Georges Durrand/D338 until the junction with the D323 ring road which you can take going east (unless like me you want a drive up the Mulsanne Straight on the D338 which should be open by then). Drive 8km along the A323 before taking the A28/A11 to Paris/Rouen/Nantes/Rennes/Tours and then join the A28/E502 still signposted Paris/Rouen......  After 5km take the A11 signposted Rouen/Caen/Alencon and away.

Aricus

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made
geoffd
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Work, The curse of the Drinking Classes

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 09:08:41 am »

Alternative and much simpler solution - don't leave till Monday, or till mid evening Sunday.  Yes I know many people have ferries and trains to catch but leaving with the masses is never a good idea, plan ahead!

Of course I buy green cars, my Aston is green, my MGB is green, my Disco Sport is green,  oh, that's not what you meant by green?
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 09:12:47 am »

Thanks Aricus, sounds good.

I usually leave before the end to avoid the rush. I have been known to leave before the start :-)
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 09:27:21 am »

Hi Smokie,
Your words of wisdom have begun to ring true with me, more & more.  I remember some wise words of wisdom from a very, very great racing driver, at a Mid-Ohio watering hole.  When I asked him about 24 hour races, he said he always thought they were about twenty hours too long.  After he retired, he would go back to Le Mans, or Daytona, for practice & qualifying, and then, as he said, get the hell out of town before the race.  I didn't get it at the time (about twenty years ago).  I get it now...
Fax
Si H
CA Veteran

It's almost time to go again....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 09:27:59 am »

We don't leave until the Monday morning. It's a lot more relaxed sitting with a few beers than it is joining the rush to get away. Tried it once, didn't like it, so it's been Monday ever since....
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 11:37:36 am »

I've left on a Sunday on occasions, usually by about 5pm it's not been a problem leaving from BN.
Kev_mk3
Club Arnage God

The Cheeky Northern Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 05:27:21 pm »

I always finish the race at arnage. When the cars are over and done with I head the back roads to mums house

Landy_Jon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 07:05:32 pm »

Previous years have seen a departure from Blue Nord having ducked out of the ACO lounge across the track as the ceremonies begin.  This year we are camping inside the circuit and will be trying to get out from there...

...now that could be interesting and I wonder if anyone has any advice...

(apart from join the queue Cool )
landman
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 07:14:03 pm »

Last year we drove off Bleu Nord around 4pm and had no trouble at all. The same could not be said for Paris, so this year we're heading to Chartres for a night in a hotel, sh*t, shower, shave, curry, beers and banter.

Crouch..........bind..........set
Lord Steve
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The only self appointed peer on Maison Blanche!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 10:27:56 pm »

I always finish the race at arnage. When the cars are over and done with I head the back roads to mums house

Like you Kev, we always escape from Maison Blanche to Arnage, then onto the A11 then A28 North - next stop Calais for (same as Paul) ablutions, pizza and Stellas at Au Bureau Pub followed by deep sleep in a real bed with a real pillow and duvet including world standard farting!

I tested negative for patience.
aricus654
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 12:48:02 am »

Ha!

It looks like we all have our own preferred route.

Aricus

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made
Kristof
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 08:27:52 pm »

(apart from join the queue Cool )

Have a lot of patience  Grin

Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 10:27:10 am »

If like me you like to watch the finish at the start/finish line and then join the crowds watching prize giving, you might find this a better route away at the end of the race.

Getting out of the many campsites can be fraught with delays, especially when many multiple campsites feed into a single exit.

An alternative is to pack up and move your car out of the campsites, but instead of Mulsanne, I suggest moving to the Carrefour Hypermarket car park situated on Avenue Georges Durand a couple of hours before the end.

The supermarket is closed on Sundays, however the petrol station there is open as is the covered car park, where you can leave your car. (You could leave it beside the road if you are worried about car park clamping, but this, to my knowledge, is not a disease that has spread to Le Mans.)

The Carrefour is a couple of stops up from the circuit, but it's only a few hundred metres to south to Tetre Rouge and an entrance to the circuit, so an easy walk.

After the finish and prize giving, you can meander up over the Dunlop bridge and out of the circuit and back to your car, perhaps taking a coffee and slice of cake at the patisserie Bouvet Jean-marie  just before the Carrefour.

Remembering that the main traffic delays are to the west of Le Mans, travel south and east.

I would suggest travelling south along Avenue Georges Durrand/D338 until the junction with the D323 ring road which you can take going east (unless like me you want a drive up the Mulsanne Straight on the D338 which should be open by then). Drive 8km along the A323 before taking the A28/A11 to Paris/Rouen/Nantes/Rennes/Tours and then join the A28/E502 still signposted Paris/Rouen......  After 5km take the A11 signposted Rouen/Caen/Alencon and away.

Aricus

Hi Aricus,
this is very good advice, so I've added it to the repecticve chapter in our Wiki at http://www.clubarnage.com/wiki/doku.php?id=ca_guide:on-the-run

Werner

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
Kev_mk3
Club Arnage God

The Cheeky Northern Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 08:02:24 pm »

did a dry run of my escape last week - piece of cake I hope  Roll Eyes

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: