Club Arnage
May 10, 2024, 12:04:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Goodwood Revival  (Read 11131 times)
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2003, 06:14:09 pm »

I think it used to say something about a gypsy mutant industrial vacuum cleaner dances a...

It's before you were a regular here Gib, but we never did find out what it danced.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2003, 06:29:54 pm »

Thinking about it, David Blakely and Ruth Ellis wouldn't make a bad fancy dress combo.

Him with the racing overalls, lipstick on his cheek, bullet holed and blood soaked shirt. Her with the headscarf, pencil skirt, painted on stocking seams and noose round her neck.

It's a romantic pursuit this racing business...

H

I always fancied going to Goodwood with the wife dressed as Benito Mussolini and Clara Petachi. Altho some may find this a bit offensive and in poor taste, he was a great historical figure of fun in my book and motor racing nut to boot.

Even George Formby wrote a song about them called,

"I'm swinging from a lamp post at the corner of the street..."
« Last Edit: September 04, 2003, 06:31:36 pm by Andy Zarse » Logged

Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2003, 06:56:56 pm »

Ho Boy! So now we know. Festoons eh? I though it would be dancing pretty much like this, but was wrong as there is no Fandango or Johnsons Floor Wax involved, so far as one can see at any rate.

Pure Dyson evil!

Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Mulsanne on a sunny June Sunday; it's a hard life!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2003, 02:57:42 pm »

I am looking forward to seeing, in no particular order, Moss in a DB3S Aston, Pirro in a lightweight E Type, Win Percy in the D Type .......

'Fraid to say Andy that just read on the DSC forum that Win is in hospital with a back injury sadly, so won't be at the Revival this weekend.

Herewith a reminder of Win in that D at the Classic .........

« Last Edit: September 05, 2003, 02:58:07 pm by The Rickmeister » Logged
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2003, 12:24:05 pm »

You were right Rick, he wasn't there and the guys who drove other D's, tho very competent, just did not have Win's panache behind the wheel. Hardman in the 59 Le Mans winning Aston tho, now that was different. He will crash it one day if he keeps doing this sort of thing. Trust me, he will. But great fun and what a top way to wreck a multi million pound car.

The 60-66 Sports car race was great, just being won by Frank Sytner in a Lola T70 spyder. After a wickedly quick and earshatterringly noisy start (I was on the startline), the first lap first lap was marred when Willy Green clashed with Carlos Monteverdi in a Ferrari 207 Dino and got stuffed into the chicane wall. Green's GT40 was bent to buggery!! IMO Monteverdi is a nightmare on the track, his massive ego, wallet and ambition dwarfs his none too large talent.

All in all a fantastic day out. The weather was strange, contriving to be both chilly and baking all at the same time. It was also a bonus to bump into Big H and family. Fortunately the Fancy Dress Shop let me down with the Princess Michael get up, saving blushes all round no doubt. (How's it going H, did you make it all the way around the track? It's a bloody long way isn't it!)

If you have never been, put it in the diary for next year.

Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Mulsanne on a sunny June Sunday; it's a hard life!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2003, 12:56:27 pm »

Glad to hear you had a good time Andy, one of these year's I'll make it. Probably get my historic fix at Lemons next year though with the Classic (playtime vouchers being used up fast with all those things I want to do next year for my 40th!!).

Both relieved but yet strangely disappointed that the fancy dress shop let you down. Maybe they can make up for it so you can arrange a photoshoot in the Commer for next year's poster!!
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2003, 04:00:36 pm »

What a day!
If the Classic Le Mans is only 50% as good as Goodwood it should be a corker.
We did make it round in the end Andy, although the racing had finished by then. We watched the final race from St Marys, and there was a marked difference in the condition of the cars when they came round for the second time. We didn't actually hear the crash, but we could hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth.
St Marys was a great place to watch the drivers set the cars up for the corner, and it's fair to say there was a huge gulf in talent between the drivers. Dron was brilliant in the previous race in the Ferrari 246.
No skirt, but it was a rather natty waistcoat I have to say.
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2003, 09:18:12 pm »

Had a brilliant day most enjoyed Pete Hardman driving the nuts off the Aston trying to stay ahead of the Ferrari. Saw a Lister spin in front of me at Fordwater, bet he had to change his overalls after that! So enjoyed it made it round the track twice

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2003, 07:09:37 pm »

So enjoyed it made it round the track twice

Rhino,

Can I assume you did not go dressed up as Douglas Bader, you'd still be on your way around!

Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2003, 12:14:04 am »

I like the thought that went through his head when he had the crash that lost his leg's.
On seeing his legs folded under  his seat
" Probably won't be playing rugger on saturday"
He had been picked to play for England.
A stubbon bastard, but that's why he got to fly again.
Give them all a thought on the 15th September, Battle of Britain Day.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2003, 10:49:19 am »

Seriously remiss of me not to mention the flying display put on by Ray Hanna and the boys of the Old Flying Machine Co.

Having been to the Revival a number of times, I have seen various flying displays, all of them marvellous. I can say that this year's formation display of the Spit Mk16, Curtis Kittyhawk and Corsair was absolutely perfect and awsome to watch.

However, the solo Spitfire display was frightening! We were standing at the runway threshold. I now know the meaning of fear is to be looking directly at the face of a Spitfire pilot as he flies towards you, his propeller clipping the daisies. I was about to shout "Take Cover!" when the reckless fool then flew 40 ft over our heads at about 250 mph. Fantastic!!!

Like you say Rhino, a bit of respect on the 15th for Bader and his ilk is due.

Fax
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2003, 09:57:18 pm »

On the subject of the Battle of Britain, a few weeks ago the last flying HE-111 was destroyed when one of its engines failed flying to an air show here in the mid-west US.  Sadly the two man crew were killed in the crash.
Fax Sad
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2003, 11:28:45 am »

I've actually got bladdered in the pub where Ruth Ellis let him have it. The bullet holes are still in the wall, but someone's washed the pavement.

H

I nearly choked on my Golden Grahams this morning when it said on the news that Ruth Ellis was appealing in the high court today to have her conviction quashed and reduced to manslaughter. They even showed the bullet holes in The Magdala pub wall.

Having been dead for all these years, I expect the smell in the courtroom will be eyewatering in this weather. Hope they open the windows.

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2003, 11:47:43 am »

it said on the news that Ruth Ellis was appealing
I don't think she'll be very appealling now then!

Steve East Anglian cobras

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: