Club Arnage
May 12, 2024, 03:21:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio Le Mans 2006 - A Reply  (Read 33330 times)
Hindy

View Profile WWW
« on: June 25, 2006, 01:15:40 pm »

Just a note to answer some of the points raised regarding Radio Le Mans 2006.

First I'm sorry that some of you here find so much to complain about. I have looked at all of the posts here and amongst the unhelpful 'slagging off' there are some fair points which I have noted and will rectify for next year. None of us do Radio Le Mans for personal gratification or for gain - and we certainly don't think we are perfect.

However I am quite taken aback by the vitriol of some of the comments - and whilst I understand that "you can't please all of the people...Blah blah" I feel that some of the comments are just plain unkind.  The fact that the thread here is so unrepresentative of the rest of the posts on this and other fora/chatrooms leaves a sour taste and makes me wonder if some of the posters here have  ulterior motives for their comments.

If you will allow I feel a certain amount of explanation is due.

After last year's race the then rightsholder for the service decided that it was no longer commercially viable and we were left with the prospect of not having a Radio Le Mans for 2006. Thanks to the hard work of all the regular RLM team we have managed to secure the rights from the ACO until 2010. This involved some real soul searching from us as, as one of the posters mentioned, putting RLM together is a) not the work of a moment and b) a considerable expense most of which needs to be paid upfront.

The opportunity was there for any other consortium (including anyone posting here)  to take over the rights - the simple fact was there was no-one willing to accept the risk.

If the last few years less and less resources were given to the broadcast and to those who worked on it - for our first year we decided to re-assign priorities - move the studio back to France and re-instate some of the features that the fans were telling us they missed.

Now to answer some specific points - yes we did provide the Speed TV Channel with our Audio - that was for 3 hours from 8am Sunday - this provides Radio Le Mans a platform to reach an important audience. The ACO has asked us to try and broaden the reach of the race - and this year we reached 84 countries right across the globe. During the Speed show we did pay slightly more attention to the TV pictures but still included the pit interviews and reports that our listeners say they enjoy. As for the email about F1 cars which came for a Speed TV viewer new to sportscars - what the poster neglects to mention is how I answered it... funny that.

I hope that you will agree that it's important for us to grow our sport and dismissing new listeneres/viewers will not do that.

Interstingly - given the comments on our perceived bias to those away from the track - we do get one or two comments about how we are too British and trackside audience centric. - I accept that getting the balance right is difficult - and given that we broadcast over 36 hours of track action alone during the week, then not everyone is going find every moment relevant to them.

Technically we had our best ever year - I don't accept that a single small problem with a phone link to the Nurburgring should be held up as a reflection of what our hard-working tech team achieved. We never had a single piece of equipment fail us - and whilst it seems that it's not important to some here - the Internet stream was the best quality ever and never failed, despite the huge listener numbers.

And by the way - despite the vagaries of the French/German phone systems we did get Dr Bez linked up with David Richards who out of the blue, chose that moment on Radio Le Mans to announce AM's full season commitment to the ALMS. Top news, first and free.

We did do a top ten and top three class rundown on every half hour - of course in parts of the race the top three GT1s were inside the top ten - in addition to ad hoc position rundowns during the rest of the hour.

Mistakes - Oh yes we made some - mostly by me and my basic inability to get the weather report right is one of those - sorry about that - As I said before no-one is perfect.

I also apologise for taking up so much space here however I will draw to a close now with a couple of points.

First - I accept that there people out there who simply don't like my style of broadcasting - and for whatever reason don't like me much either - c'est la vie.  I'm not here to argue that

What we we have with the Radio Le Mans team - and you can leave me out if you like - is a professional team of enthusisasts who are prepared to work their socks off to put a highly complicated, tiring broadcast together. Other than the guys and girls that were there this year there are probably only 2 or 3 other people who understand and care enough about RLM to be a part of the team. Sadly the previous management decided to dispense with Ian T some years ago - well before we were involved.

Perhaps some of the posters here feel they could do a better job - great! - we are always looking for new talent - get in touch at info@radiolemans.com - don't just sit there and point fingers - the team deserve better than that.

Second there are harsh commercial realities to face - although posters here noticed every small mistake and error - no-one pointed out that we had fewer ads this year where under previous administrations we broke at 20 past and 20 to as well as before the news. That was partly in response to the marketplace but also due to a deliberate change in policy to find alternative funding methods that would not interrupt the race coverage so much.

This was the first year of a new Radio Le Mans - not perfect - of course not - however I do find it ever so disappointing that no-one who criticised us on this forum found the time to get in contact and pass on any constructive comments. Radio Le Mans doesn't belong to me or the team - it belongs to you and the rest of the listeners, wherever they are. Those people who long for the 'Jiffy Condom' days should remind themselves that there was no overnight coverage in the early years, a radio mic that took two to carry it, no proper coverage of qualifying sessions. Oh and the Jiffy ads very nearly were the end of RLM for as they contravened so many French Radio Authority regulations.

We also have to accept that the whole sportscar world has moved on so much since 1986 - diesel victory just being part of that... in order to survive Radio Le Mans has had to develop too. If this leaves some of you behind - I'm really sorry - The ACO expects, infact demands, that Radio Le Mans provides a service for as broad an audience as sportscar racing attracts. We are charged with increasing the interest in the race and the sport - that means new blood. Many listeners don't know - or care - what happened in 1956 - they want to hear Seb Loeb the moment he gets out of the car. Interestingly that remains a mainstay of the service - take the listener where they can't go. Into the pits, next to the driver, hear his/her voice.

By the way I think that Club Arnage on Radio Le Mans is an excellent idea. I'm happy to have a representative from the site (is Dave Davies still involved?) get in touch and let me know how it would work and how it would be funded.

In the meantime I reiterate my offer to any new on air talent - info@radiolemans.com

On a personal note I do feel that I should point out that I have never referred to myself as 'The Voice of Le Mans' or similar - although it is a moniker that has been attached to me - including by the Dailysportscar forum master -  Its very kind but a source of some embarrasment to me.

Fat northern bloke is fine - I don't even take offense at some of the expletives directed toward me  on this forum - but please never NEVER call me a Geordie!

John Hindhaugh
On Behalf of Radio Le Mans 2006

This reply was in response to matters raised in this thread http://www.clubarnage.com/forum/index.php?topic=5654.0, which has been locked in favour of keeping this one running. smokie
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 03:08:07 pm by smokie » Logged
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 01:33:36 pm »

Woo hoo.. we got a celeb!  Grin

Well, I like Radio LM -  I wouldnt have a clue what is going on without you - but then I am also not very knowledgable about motor racing stuff - and not very inclined to moan about the good ole days either.

I especially love the last bits after the end of the race when everyone is tired n emotional and talking about next year etc.  Reminds me a bit of the last day of the summer term at school when the holidays seemed like forever .....

My only small gripe might be that as a Saleen supporter (to slightly understate the case)  could RLM have a special Saleen mention, since it doesnt often feature in top 10 overall or top 3 in class?   Undecided

Anyway welcome to CA Hindy - bearing in mind the number of CA members, I am sure the percentage actually bitching is pretty insignificant. 

Fran
Lancs Se7en
CA Veteran

I love it sideways

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 01:53:57 pm »

Here here Fran. I havnt read the thread and frankly I'm not interested but there were 20 folk in our group and every single one was listening to the Radio LM broadcasts. Personally, as one who does not have a LM history going back beyond 1998 I think that the service is fantastic and who can forget the Hindy comment a few years ago when the Morgan was racing and he suggested that someone was out looking for some wood glue to get the car back into the race. Class stuff with a wicked North Eastern sense of humour. Who ever said that the broadcast was meant to be 100% perfect, correct politically or otherwise, unbiased, lacking in humour, free of mistakes etc etc. Hell its free and informative and reaches the majority.

Long may it continue Hindy and look forward to your dulcet tones on Motors TV as we progress further through the year.

Does it really only have full throttle
Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Mulsanne on a sunny June Sunday; it's a hard life!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 02:12:04 pm »

Agreement here too!

I haven't read the slagging off posts as that sort of stuff doesn't interest me either.

Hindy and the boys (and girls!) do a fab job and anyone who was at LM 1986 or earlier will remember what a trial it was trying to keep up with things with the then hourly updates on the half hour via the PA which was about as much use as a bottle of chips when cars were going past! 1987 onwards has been fab .... so stop banging on! Anyone would think we actually pay for this!!!

So there, nyah!

Grin
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 02:17:51 pm »

I've e-mailed Hindy at radio le mans, as i think weve let ourselves down.

The more publicity this forum gets , the more members and the better it will be.

If you are at odds with this, read my reply on the other Radio LM thread.

Take life by the horns and live it.
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 02:20:58 pm »

Hindy, sorry I called you the voice of le Mans - probably did pick this up from Daily Sports Car.  But I do take issue with the fact that nobody contacted you direct.  I did in fact send an e-mail to radio Le Mans having read some of the other comments on this site, suggesting that if you look beyond some of the gripey stuff, there are some points which you might take on board for future years.

Glad you looked at them anyway, and hope that somewhere in the middle, you might find a bit of common ground.  We don't all just whinge for the sake of it, believe me.  I still think the hourly updates could be a bit more comprehensive.  Otherwise, as I commented here, I don't much mind how you spend your time and I do like the reports from the pit lane.

At the end of the day, I think most of us would miss RLM if it weren't there.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 02:32:32 pm »

Hindy and the boys (and girls!) do a fab job

Lets face it, how many of us would put our finger into a mystery liquid and taste it just to find out what was wrong with a car?!!!

How's that for dedication...
RichUK
CA Veteran

KK

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 02:48:20 pm »

Hindy and the boys (and girls!) do a fab job

Lets face it, how many of us would put our finger into a mystery liquid and taste it just to find out what was wrong with a car?!!!

How's that for dedication...

That was great radio, and is part of what RLM is all about. I think most people see it as a Le Mans tradition, long may it continue.

Welcome to the site Hindy, we hope you stick around a little bit Smiley

I've come to believe that Le Mans is the centre of the universe.
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 03:01:11 pm »

Hello Hindy, thanks for dropping in with a detailed response to the thread.

Forums are renowned for giving everyone the opportunity to air their views, and as a recent post here on CA said, everyone has an opinion about everything these days. While some people mean to write what they write, others post without checking whether their post may be mis-interpreted, and/or unnecessarily harsh or offensive. As a moderator here I read most posts but do not have time to decide whether the tone is appropriate - but obviously offensive or provocative posts will generally be "managed" in some way.

Personally I hadn't listened to RLM much over the past couple of years but listened a fair bit this year, and enjoyed it. I also listened to the first half commentary on the England match, which was about as close as I wanted to be to the footy, but was disappointed that you gave a fairly straight commentary, unlike the hilarious one some years back - Euros 2004 maybe?

Dave Davies still owns Club Arnage and occassionally pops into the forums. The CA forums probably contain the highest number of active members and are active all year round, not just on the run up to the race.

Lastly, welcome to Club Arnage forums and come back soon...  Smiley
Gordonwr
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006, 03:04:40 pm »

I like many wouldn't have much of a clue what was happening without RLM. From the moment we arrive near enough to the circuit to get reception to the time we leave it's on in the car and on the headphones. I'm just gratefull that RLM exists
 A big thanks from me and I suspect from many others on this site.

Always go into a corner too fast, in case it turns out to be a quick one!
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2006, 03:13:45 pm »

I even bought (yup, bought) better earphones so that I would be able to get RLM better on my Audi Freebie from last year.

An overall part of what the LM experience is about. Hindy, please keep it up. I echo the requests for a on the hour "everycar" report though if possible.

The workload must be staggering thank you.

Smiley

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2006, 03:33:11 pm »

Hi

I like it, saves me from getting my lazy arxxe out of my campsite seat.

Sunday afternoon stifling hot but in the shade of the gazebo with a few cool ones and RLM suits me.

Listening to it on the way home (sunday) is the worst thing, as it finishes and then you have to listen to some wacky french pop station.

Keep it up guys.

>Martini...

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
turkish.sps
CA Veteran

Champers Baby!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2006, 04:00:31 pm »

After 3 years at Le Mans and still condsidering myself a relative newbie, RLM is a godsend!

Plus GCSE French prepares you well enough to read and speak it.....but understand it?Huh Grin

"You stole my onions!!"

www.selfpreservationsociety.net
skid solo

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2006, 04:16:03 pm »

RLM,

Keep up the good work guys. Your coverage is excellent and informative. Without it lots of people who wish to keep track of the race would get completley lost.

RLM do a fantastic job finding things to talk about from the Wednesday compared to James Allen who manages to talk twoddle and cock things up for 2 hrs on a Sun with a highly pro outfit like ITV! Smiley

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti.
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2006, 04:16:26 pm »

I just hook up with the majority: I LIKE RADIO LE MANS! Cool

What else do expect from me, you guys have mentioned our group several times last year - and this year it only got better Smiley

You're doing a great job, just wish there were more updates during the race, but maybe that's because I don't listen all the time Undecided

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: