Club Arnage
May 13, 2024, 09:03:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio Le Mans 2006 - A Reply  (Read 33348 times)
Mr. Invincible Mou
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2006, 04:51:00 pm »

Whenever I am asked by a Le Mans virgin what they should take with them, I always include a personal radio in the list. Along with the advice that they will need it to listen to Radio Le Mans in order to find out what is actually happening on the circuit.

I have always been a fan of RLM and will continue to be so. Things will always change, which can sometimes upset people, but that is the way of life. Personally, I have always been able to get the information I wanted to know by just listening for while, it comes up sooner or later. And RLM has always been a godsend whilst lying on the banking down at Arnage as dawn starts to break.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all those people who give their time to provide us with Radio Le Mans, both broadcasters and tech staff. As far as I am concerned, Le Mans would just not be the same without Radio Le Mans.

And as has already been stated several times before, if you really don't like it, then don't turn on your radio. Simple really.
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2006, 05:00:33 pm »

Yeah, the "if you don't like it don't listen thing" is a good point but in this particular case, I think it's more a case (for me anyway) of, I quite like this but would like to change some of it/give some feedback so maybe, just maybe, it will be better next year.  That's why I've e-mailed them, that's why I post, in the hope that somebody might listen and things may change a bit.  Great that Hindy took the trouble to read this site because it proves that sometimes the comments get back to those who can do something about the perceived problems.  They are more than welcome to ignore these comments but we should still make them.  Just saying, "It's rubbish, I'll turn it off" isn't exactly constructive is it?  "It's rubbish - let's change it" is at least a step in the right direction (even if said in a bit of an ott way in some cases!).

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2006, 05:01:01 pm »

I am sure most people enjoy listening to RLM and fully understand the commercial realty of Radio Le Mans.
There are few, if any UK stations that someone would listen to for 24 hour straight, so us the listeners are bound to get a bit stir crazy and pick up on some points and maybe blow them out of porportion

We accept and understand the need for ads and accept that the station needs to evolve to survive.

I am in the lucky postion of having heard all the broadcasts since the station started, and even dipped into my own pocket along with many others in the early 90's when things where looking bleak.

But the station does seem to have become a bit too internet based, some of the questions read on air where franky daft and the lack of a commentry during the support races was not good.

There are many many more good points than bad and Le Mans would be the poorer without it, so keep up the good work.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
nickliv
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2006, 05:07:09 pm »

Without RLM I wouldn't have had a bloody clue what was going on. This was my first year, and I hope to be listening for many years to come.

Preferred the footall commentary to motson etc. could you do all the rest of the england games online?

Pity I got an Audi radio, which had 2 settings, 'silent', and 'you can only hear the commentary if the car in front of you is an Audi)

I wouldn't have one of those again, and Autoscan was a waste of time. Reception was great in the car though.

(This is a gripe about radios at le mans, not radio le mans)
badgered1
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2006, 05:08:31 pm »

I was unaware of any bashing about RLM. I look forward to their broadcast every year. I also run the broadcast to my stereo and listen to it while I work, especially enjoying qualifying (loud). I feel like I could lock my shop up at the end of the day and drive over to the circuit to enjoy the comraderie and atmosphere. The interviews and information are great and the sense of humor is absolutely priceless. My employees are not into the racing (oh well, all the more for me).

The coverage from Speed Channel in the US was as good as it could be, and they had their problems as well. I'm glad we have both of these services When you can't be at the race.

All in all, GREAT JOB to everyone at Radio Lemans!

I also have to say that all the members at CA are fantastic and help me with my sickness for the 24 Heures du Le Mans!

Sew on and sew forth,
Chris

Sew on and sew forth.
badgered1
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2006, 05:21:10 pm »

Oh, I forgot to mentioned what I missed the most was Holly. Cool

Sew on and sew on...
Chris

Sew on and sew forth.
delaney64

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2006, 06:10:19 pm »

Aha! So there are some people with manners and good sense out there then. Fair play to Termietermite for putting his hands up to a mistake. I completely agree with you TT that you should pass comment rather than just switch off. No-one gains if constructive criticism isn't passed on and it looks like the RLM takes this forum seriously.
Irrelevant and potentially inflammatory comment removed. smokie
I just spoke to a mate of mine who went for the first time this year. He bought a radio le mans radio from their shop and says it was great quality and he would have been lost without it.  I don't think we should be afraid of new people coming into the sportscar family; we should welcome it and accept that sometimes the newcomers are going to ask dense questions....I thought the F1 question was dumb too but at least Hindy laughed at it and didn't act like it was a serious proposition...
I'm going to listen to Globecast on sky this week and see how it sounds...can't hurt to have a listen. Anyone remember what the number is?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 12:09:49 am by smokie » Logged
turkish.sps
CA Veteran

Champers Baby!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2006, 08:03:03 pm »

Oh, I forgot to mentioned what I missed the most was Holly.

....hear hear bring back Holly!!! Wink

"You stole my onions!!"

www.selfpreservationsociety.net
Andy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm not a llama! I'm a Le Mans'er

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2006, 08:16:43 pm »

I also have not read the so called  slagging off thread as i like others cannot do without RLM, and as a participant to local radio know how much is involved and have appreciation to their efforts.

Thank you Hindy and the team.

I think I might have a crack for audition, it sounds like fun and hard work to bring a valuable sevice to 300,000 fan on site and millions elsewhere.

Andy
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2006, 08:20:09 pm »

Fair play to Termietermite for putting his hands up to a mistake.

Umm - her hands!  Grin
Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

I'd rather have another Tropillama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2006, 09:53:55 pm »

First a warm welcome to you Hindy.
Second a Big Thank you to you and all the folk that have done so much to make RLM happen.

I have in some of the other posts about RLM been a bit negative.     I've not really thought about all of the angles.   Of course thats due to the fact that I go back to the beginings of RLM when the only audiance were the Brits,  non French speaking visitors to Le Sarthe.

RLM seemed in those days to be inline with the can I say "spirit of freindship" we all have at Le Mans.

With the WWW and digital radio/TV things have changed. 

In the early days RLM was manadtory listening infact you didn't need a radio cos everyone had it playing.  But I have to say that these days it's really only a "while the cars are running" listening event.

For sure I miss the way it was.  But that applies to lots of things at Le Mans, (and other places).   No matter how much I may think it, RLM doesn't happen by magic.    There is a lot to deal with to make it happen.   My guess is no one is actualy getting rich on RLM.

RLM has to focus what it's sponsors feel is right. 

To me it should be about the Race and those that go to support the Race.  To me, those that can't make the effort to go should not be part of the equation.   RLM should simply be making them find the motivation to go.  But thats just my opinion and so doesn't count for much if anything.

I think I've heard more "Gems of broadcasting" on RLM than all the other radio stations put together.

RLM you have a listener for life in me. 

Any negative comments I make are ment to be Constructive not destructive.

I hope that make sense.

Regards,
Tom.

La Légend s` écrit sous vos yeux.
alibongo
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2006, 10:15:01 pm »

Hi John Of RLM just to say In my opinion you do a great job buddy, Had my earphones jammed in most of the weekend and would have been lost without your station keeping me informed of what was going on whilst I was wandering about the circuit . well done and keep up the good work, hope to be able to switch you on next year !!!!!

been there done that doing it again !
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2006, 11:20:41 pm »

Have to be brief here as I am in the middle of watching the Sears Point Nascar race.

Hindy,
I personally love RLM, no complaints from me, You're not the voice of Le Mans, you are indeed the voice of sports cars for me with your coverage of ALMS etc as well.

Keep up the good work, you and RLM are appreciated, we would be lost without you.

I do miss the Friday campsite tours that RLM used to do though.

Regards
Chris
Chrisgr31
CA Veteran

Who wants a beer?

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2006, 12:25:21 am »

Just a note to answer some of the points raised regarding Radio Le Mans 2006.

I hope that you will retuirn to read the more positive comments that are in this thread!  In the other thread a number of posters did state the need for constructive criticism and of course everyone has to accept that RLM has to take the decision on what works for it, and what doesn't.

I still believe that a better hourly update is required, particularly on Sunday morning, as if one has been luck (sad?) enough to get some sleep it can be difficult to catch up.  Possibly a bi hourly full update of positions plus a brief Car xx has gone out due to accident etc?

I was very impressed with the football commentary which as a non-footballer, I thought was excellent under the circumstances.

This year the race build-up appeared to be less enthusiastic than previous years, with a lot of concentration on the later start time, although presumably next year we'll be b ack to 4pm so it won't be relevant.  Equally I didn't hear the build-up of the finish although due to the chnage of time I was already on the road by then, and struggling for coverage so might have missed it!

I noted that on occasions we were asked buy RLM radios to help fund the station.  Although I appreciate that there are commercial considerations perhaps stating that £x of price funds RLM might have helped sales.  Also how about some RLM T-Shirts or Polo Shirts?  Personally I would love to find a polo shirt on sale giving the date of the race.  I have decided i look better in a polo shirt but you can never find them with the race date on them!  Maybe I should investigate!

I do think that whilst RLM is free to air, many listeners at the circuit would be prepared to make a donation they understood how the funding of the station etc works.

I think it would be great if someone in a position of authority on Club Arnage could speak with RLM to find a way of sponsoring part of the show or getting more involved.
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2006, 12:29:47 am »

I seem to have arrived at the suck-up queue.
As mentioned before, I'm not a huge fan of Radio Le Mans - and I have a choice - also stated.
I do not question the logitics and dedication involved in delivering the product - I accept that advertising is necessary and that keeping the whole thing going (by that I mean dialogue) for the duration of the race week is a big undertaking.
I don't feel that many would be capable of doing an equal or better job, either.
I don't like the in-jokes, or the personal chat between the presenters that the listener (me, at least) have no part of and therefore no understanding of. I also think that if any individual chooses to put themselves in the position of broadcaster they better have the credentials and knowledge to do it with authority.
Before anyone invites me to have a go, if I think I could do better - I know I can't - and that's really the rub.
I couldn't make it to Le Mans this year and until the US TV broadcast began RLM was my only alternative - it was OK aside from the stuff I mentioned that irritated me. I don't have an 'off button' at the ALMS rounds I attend, because it's broadcast over the PA - that said Hindy's commentary at these races seems much more factual and much less vacuous than the RLM show.
In closing, I also notice a few new 'faces' have emerged on the forum, I presume as a result  of this topic. I think it's great to have more members who have an opinion and can articulate it. But also remember, this is a community that's been around a while - and a lot of us know each other personally and understand some of the idiosynchrasies (spelling ?) of our fellow posters. Wading-in on post #1 and calling the shots could also be viewed as hostile and insensitive.
Finally, on the subject of hostile and insensitive, I made some particularly offensive comments about Hindy, which I regret and apologise for. However, my opinion about the value of RLM hasn't changed.
Matt Harper    

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: