Club Arnage
May 16, 2024, 07:34:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ALMS - Teams departing the fray  (Read 8189 times)
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2006, 07:14:16 pm »

I have read today that Alex Job is definitely leaving the ALMS field in 2007 - and will not be at Sebring for the first time for 20 odd years.  There have also been rumours that P&M will not run the Corvettes next season either.  The basis for their possible/definite departure seems to be a frustration with the "moving goalposts" attitude to the regulations in the series, in its effort to level the playing field.  Job commented that at least in the European series the ACO fixes the regulations at the beginning of the year and sticks to them.  We may moan about those regs - as do the teams - but I guess at least one team owner sees a plus side.  Interesting.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 07:26:27 pm »

Would this imply a “Biggest Pot”  or a “Parochial” influence.
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 10:16:24 am »

More on the Alex Job departure here http://www.alexjobracing.com/06_news/1030.html

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 11:37:46 am »

I read somewhere that Chevrolet might be aiming for LMP1, after winning all that is to win at GT1.
Can't remember where I read it though Undecided

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 11:42:13 am »

Can't remember where I read it though Undecided

Alcohol been destroying the brain cells again Paddy?

Cool
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 11:59:50 am »

Where am I, what's my name again?

Grin

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 12:33:01 pm »

Where am I, what's my name again?

Grin

Umm - check the label...."Paddy_NL"...  Wink
chop456
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Team YFDS

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2006, 05:00:26 pm »

I find the Corvette story hard to believe.  Aston Martin were the ones hinting at quitting and whining about the rules instability at Laguna Seca.  Corvette going to P1 would make about as much sense as Cadillac doing it.

Oh...wait...  Wink

I stole DelBoy's lighter and lived to tell the tale.
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2006, 05:57:13 pm »

I suspect the P&M threat to pull may be in the interest of getting IMSA to stop screwing around with the regs.  They're getting a bit too NASCAR-ish with the "out of the blue" ballast and all.  Those of us old enough remember well the IMSA GTP Vette of the mid eighties.  That was then, this is now though, I don't see GM going the LMP route anytime soon.
Fax
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2006, 07:35:14 pm »

Lets hope this is just a threat to keep the handicappers under control.

GMs main problem is financial - finding the budget must be tough, but its race on Sunday sell on Monday.  Ford and AML aren't rolling in it either.

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Jay (Team Cannonball)
CA Veteran

Guided by a force greater than curry.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2006, 07:48:59 pm »

The rumour about P&M leaving the ALMS has been doing the rounds for a while. Doug Fehan has actually stated that they are looking at the LMS for 2007. The ALMS loss could be our gain.

termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2006, 08:02:29 pm »

Fax, I tend to agree, it has always seemed to me that ALMS without the Vettes wouldn't be the same and Fehan knows this.  When he talks about going, he hopes to scare the ballast out of those who dream up rules as they go along.

chop456
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Team YFDS

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 08:45:38 am »

CORVETTE CONFIRMS GT1 CHAMPIONSHIP DEFENSE

Corvette Racing will defend its 2006 GT1 driver, team and manufacturer championships in 2007.
Corvette Racing officials have announced the perennial championship winning team will return to the American Le Mans Series in 2007 to defend its GT1 drivers, team and manufacturers crown in North America's leading sports car series. In addition, plans are underway for another assault on this year's 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Corvette Racing is the most successful team in the history of the American Le Mans Series with 45 class wins, six consecutive GT1 team and manufacturer championships and the last five driver titles. The results at Le Mans paint a similar picture with five of the last six class championships.

"In order to gauge Corvette Racing's impact on the American Le Mans Series, all you need to do is observe the tremendously long lines at each of our driver autograph sessions," said Scott Atherton, Series President and CEO. "General Motors, Corvette Racing and Pratt & Miller each have been integral components of the American Le Mans Series since Corvette returned to world-class sports car racing in 1999. We look forward to continuing this relationship for many years to come."

Corvette Racing has won in GT1 at Le Mans five times in the last six years.
Corvette Racing will test in February in preparation for the season-opening round of the 12-race season: the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring on March 17. Corvette has won America's greatest sports car racing in four of the last five seasons.

Since its debut in 1999, Corvette Racing has competed in 77 races worldwide, scoring 51 victories and 34 one-two finishes (29 in the American Le Mans Series). Corvette Racing drivers Ron Fellows, Johnny O'Connell, Oliver Gavin and Olivier Beretta have combined to win the Series GT1 drivers championship five consecutive seasons.

"The Corvette C6.R race program continues Chevrolet's tradition of racing production-based vehicles to improve the breed," said GM Racing director Mark Kent. "The continuous exchange of information and the constant transfer of technology between the racing and production programs ensure that lessons learned on the track benefit every Corvette on the highway."

I stole DelBoy's lighter and lived to tell the tale.
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 09:57:32 am »

Yup I saw this last night,  Chop, when I couldn't get on the site!  Good news.  Could not imagine coming to Sebring and no 'Vettes.  (Although, I think M. Alphand plans to bring his. Smiley)

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 10:09:30 am »

(Although, I think M. Alphand plans to bring his. Smiley)

He's still running in second place in the Dakar as of this morning.

Steve East Anglian cobras

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: