Club Arnage
May 16, 2024, 10:00:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Nurburgring  (Read 6709 times)
Pilgrim
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2006, 08:31:50 pm »

Obviously the Nurbgring is an evocative location of many a classic race.

I was wondering, as someone who's long wanted to go to the 'Ring at some point, what folk here thought of the circuit and its history.

I remember forst seeing footage (in car I think) of Jackie Stewart doing a fast lap of the 'Green Hell' as he called it (a circuit he apparently hated and feared and still does) and was pretty impressed by what the circuit was like. It seems unlike any other circuit in the world to me.

What do other people think?
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 08:55:05 pm »

I presume you mean the "Nordschleife" instead of the new Ring.
F1 racing on the old ring is before my time, can't say too much about it. Except maybe I was invited by Martijn (DfH-crewmember) for a lap last time we went to LMS there, and turned it down because I had a few to drink. Maybe I should have accepted, not going in '07 Sad

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
Pilgrim
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 10:48:34 pm »

Definitely the Nordschleife.

I defy anyone to look at the new ring, especially when compared to the old one, and not see how much worse it is than it's predecessor.
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 06:38:54 am »

Hmm, the Nordschleife?  Obviously the ultimate incarnation of the racing circuit.  Maybe Hitler's lone positive contribution to mankind.  A circuit for the Gods, look through the list of winners and you don't find many duds.  Interesting that for all its fearsome reputation, comparatively few drivers have lost their lives there relative to places like Monza, Indianapolis, Le Mans, etc.
In Rob Walker's masterpeice article in the Nov. 1977 Road Track "Risk, Race Drivers & The Ring" he sums it up pretty well, Is the Ring really so dangerous, or do the drivers simply treat it with more respect?
Easy to speculate from the cheap seats.  I've seen some pretty terrifying footage riding onboard over Howden Ganley's shoulder while lapping the Ring in Frank Williams Marlboro Iso.  Still some of the most thrilling in car stuff I've ever seen.
Fax
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 08:30:54 am »

I've seen some pretty terrifying footage riding onboard over Howden Ganley's shoulder while lapping the Ring in Frank Williams Marlboro Iso. 
Fax
Where, Fax, where?

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 04:41:23 pm »

Termie, It's included in the old Brunswick combined 1972/73 season review, both season's covered in about twenty five minutes each.  The video from Ganley in the '73 Iso, the voice over is done by JYS.  The Brunswick videos were originally Marlboro promo films, hence the selection of car & pilot.
Fax
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 08:24:59 pm »

For all that the guy is an accepted first rate (OK maybe second rate) plonker, the in-car (and that van too) footage of Clarkson trying his damndest was a bit impressive too.

It certainly got me interested and as Mark can testify I aint no kind of race car driver, but the 'Ring? Oh I could seriously like to "do" that...

yes!

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 07:42:07 am »

Maybe Hitler's lone positive contribution to mankind.

The Nordschleife was build from 1925 until 1927. The first race was held on the 18th June 1927. So, nothing to do with the Nazis.

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 07:51:38 am »

Indeed. That was the Deutschlandring, near Dresden. A six mile track which  was finished in April 1939, but was never used for the obvious reason (the Germans got a little busy afterwards Wink)

Oh dear, Anorack alert! Shocked

Grin

Drinking for Holland
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 07:45:31 pm »

I stand corrected, I knew that it was built to help relieve unempolyment and economic depression in the Eifel region, mistakenly thought the jackbooted chaps were in charge at the time.  Therefore, Hitler made no positive contribution to mankind.
Fax
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 08:13:56 pm »

Therefore, Hitler made no positive contribution to mankind.
Well, he did give the go-ahead for the German Autobahn, the only decent stretch of motorway in Europe without speed restrictions...

Drinking for Holland
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2006, 09:39:23 pm »

Paddy, if I'm not wrong here (hgb, please correct me) one of the first bits of autobahn formed the long 'there and back' straight of the AVUS test and race track.
Each end had a long sweeping bend (one was steeply banked) to route the cars back the other way on the straight.

http://www.etracksonline.co.uk/Europe/Germany/avus21-36.html

http://www.silhouet.com/motorsport/tracks/avus.html

Steve East Anglian cobras

Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2006, 09:55:17 pm »

Yep, Avus was formed by stretches of Autobahn.  Actually hosted the German GP once (in 1959) but was so universally disliked by the drivers it never went back.
The Auto Union and Mercedes teams did some impressive land speed record running on the Frankfurt Autobahn in in the pre-war days, unfortunately the great Bernd Rosemeyer lost his life in one of these attempts.
Fax
Pilgrim
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2006, 11:18:52 pm »

Yep, Avus was formed by stretches of Autobahn.  Actually hosted the German GP once (in 1959) but was so universally disliked by the drivers it never went back.
The Auto Union and Mercedes teams did some impressive land speed record running on the Frankfurt Autobahn in in the pre-war days, unfortunately the great Bernd Rosemeyer lost his life in one of these attempts.
Fax

The German GP of 1959 was won by Tony Brooks driving a Ferrari.

Unfortunately it was marred by the dreadful death of Jean Behra in a supporting sportscar race. During the race, Hans Herrman's BRP more or less destroyed itself when its brakes failed.

And the banked bend was the North Bend. The South Bend was never banked.

One possible reason for the drivers disliking the Avus circuit was the two long straights being so close together. With little or nothing to seperate one straight from another and closing speeds of up to 300 mph it isn't hard to see why drivers disliked the circuit so much.
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2006, 11:51:28 pm »

Wasn't the banked corner made out of wood - it didn't last.

I must find a picture of the " Avus Mercedes" a streamliner from the 30s - heres one in bronze

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: