Club Arnage
May 09, 2024, 12:31:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another new member  (Read 6800 times)
Citroenesque

View Profile
« on: March 06, 2012, 05:15:32 pm »

Hi everyone. My name's Phil and I spend a fair amount of my time on Frech car forums and have a thing about Citroëns and France in particular. I am an active member of the Citroën Car Club (UK) and the BX Club. In 2009 I organised and took part in an event called (oddly) the BXagon Challenge in which eight BX's went from Calais to Calais, clockwise around the periphery of France... and raised in the end, about £6,500 for Cancer Research in the process. It was great fun - all the cars and crews returned safely - and encouraged me to organise other events, including one this May (see http://web.me.com/macksy/ccc2012/Welcome.html and https://www.facebook.com/CitroenClassic ). I thought I'd mention it in case any of you were near the route, had a Citroën (or, in all honesty any car!) and fancied meeting up or joining in for a bit of fun.

Anyway, it's a bit cheeky to introduce myself with a bit of event promotion, but part of the reason is to gauge interest in the concept of continental and UK road trips/grand tours etc. I do hope to plan something else and the opinions of fans of France, Driving and Cars would be welcome.

So, now I'll go away and have a good read of the many and varied threads on here... TTFN, Phil
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 06:37:40 pm »

Hi there Phil.  Glad to see you took my advice and "came across" (ooo, er).  Smiley

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 07:04:40 pm »

Welcome to CA Phil.
I had the pleasure of driving a BX 16v once, great fun.
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 07:23:33 pm »

Welcome to CA Phil.
I had the pleasure of driving a BX 16v once, great fun.
Best car we've ever owned.  Wonderful thing.  Makes me smile just remembering it.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Citroenesque

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 10:46:14 pm »

Well the BX has some impressive heritage, modest as it is. I have driven and owned quite a lot of different cars but there always seems to be a BX in the collection. And it ends up being my daily driver in all cases. I love 'em.

The 16v is a seriously underrated car of its era. But even the 8v could hold its own against many of it's contemporaries.

But enough eulogising about a largely forgotten French mass-market car, what I really want to do in the coming year(s) is drive. I love it and yet it seems it's getting more and more difficult to find the money or time to indulge.

And as for cars? Although it's going to be over 33 years old, I would love another Citroën GS to be honest; simple mechanicals, amazing ride and surprisingly nimble as well as looking the part... Air-cooled flat four 1222cc. Joy Smiley Oh hang on! I'm eulogising about another French mass-market car... I'm a lost cause I tell ye.  Grin
Doris
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Eating's Cheating!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 03:55:21 am »

Ah Citroen... my first car was an AX.  I thrashed the guts out of it and it never let me down once.  Secretly I've always hankered afte a 2CV as I love their quirkiness and they're not very common down here in NZ (I think I've seen one).

Anyway - welcome to CA.   Smiley

Dx

Live imperfectly and with great delight.
Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

I'd rather have another Tropillama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 03:58:42 pm »

Ah Citroen... my first car was an AX.  I thrashed the guts out of it and it never let me down once.  Secretly I've always hankered afte a 2CV as I love their quirkiness and they're not very common down here in NZ (I think I've seen one).

Anyway - welcome to CA.   Smiley

Dx

With the "Nuclear Power, No thanks!" sticker?   IMNVHO with out that it's no a 2CV!

Welcome Citroenesque.

T.

La Légend s` écrit sous vos yeux.
Citroenesque

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 12:26:10 am »

Thanks for the welcome. I drove a 21 year old BX n/a diesel yesterday. 370 miles at about 50 mpg and an average speed approaching 64mph. Still a hoot! Smiley

https://www.facebook.com/CitroenClassic for an idea of how us Citroen nut jobs get our kicks...
Doris
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Eating's Cheating!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 01:07:01 am »

With the "Nuclear Power, No thanks!" sticker?   IMNVHO with out that it's no a 2CV!

Welcome Citroenesque.

T.

I think a "drive it like you stole it" sticker would be more me.  Grin

Dx

Live imperfectly and with great delight.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: