Club Arnage
May 04, 2024, 04:26:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diesels @ Le Mans - A Sniffpetrol perspective  (Read 8102 times)
pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2006, 06:19:14 pm »

Anyone seen the latest issue of Sniffpetrol? http://www.sniffpetrol.com

The Le Mans section highly amusing, and hopefully not TOO accurate.... Wink

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 06:46:52 pm »

Of course, they could always resurrect the Index of Thermal Efficiency, last awarded in 1974, I think, but of great note to production car manufacturers in the 50s and 60s.   

A hybrid Toyota Prius wouldn't really get in the way of the LMP and GT cars would it?  Roll Eyes

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 07:47:00 pm »

It's all political Bo**ocks on the honest face of it, but motorsport has traded allot of carbon (to quote the current buzz word spin) on their safety and efficiency innovations and having run a TDi Passat for 3 years at 47 mpg over 150,000 miles, the writing is on the wall for endurance racing, Hybrid's will be next (aka Peugeot).

Liked the pseudo quote from everybody’s mate Dave:-

Meanwhile, Conservative leader Dave "Dave" Cameron was happy to join in the blathering; "I am speaking now," he said. "Listen to me speaking in a nice voice. I think it's clear that I agree with whatever this is about, and I have shown this agreement by not wearing a tie. I like trees. Yea kids. Clouds are nice" A spokesman later admitted that Mr Cameron was himself a major source of pointless CO2. Grin
Pilgrim
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 12:54:28 am »

A spokesman later admitted that Mr Cameron was himself a major source of pointless CO2. Grin

Aren't they all?
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 01:25:01 am »

The LM bit is good stuff, personally I think the arrival of the smokers will be the death of endurance racing.
Sure, you'll find always find enough people interested in getting pissed on a few hundred acres of dirt, even if it was a race for shopping carts.  But as far as the racing goes...Yawn!  Wow! the thrill of watching cars quietly whistle past, with the evocative smell of deisel exhaust in the air...Makes me misty eyed standing next to Interstate 71.
How long until the Moto GP season opener?
Fax
fagey
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 08:51:01 am »

How long until the Moto GP season opener?
Fax

to far away!! roll on LM in may Grin

oldtimer
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 02:14:54 pm »

personally I think the arrival of the smokers will be the death of endurance racing.
Sure, you'll find always find enough people interested in getting pissed on a few hundred acres of dirt, even if it was a race for shopping carts.  But as far as the racing goes...Yawn!
Fax

I know that part of the motor racing experience is the sound of the cars, but there is no reason to think that cars powered by diesel engines will provide racing of a lower quality than petrol powered cars just because they are quiet.

Some years ago (late 70s/early 80s perhaps - can't qute remember) the UK was visited by the Indy Cars (as I think they were called in those days).  They were powered by some alcohol based fuel (ethanol? My memory is having a bad day today) and the engines omitted little more sound than a whisper... so was the racing dull?  No it was fantastic.

Console yourself with a (no doubt half-empty) glass of something Fax whilst you wait for the MotoGP to return.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 02:24:23 pm by oldtimer » Logged
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 06:18:25 pm »

Oldtimer, I think it was 1978 when the Indycars visited Brands and Silverstone. As we've said before, everyone has their own opinion.  I always thought the seventies and eighties Indycars were fantastic, I also know people who thought they were complete crap.  I thought the Audi R10 was possibly the dullest, least charismatic racing car I have ever witnessed when I saw it at Sebring.  Some think its lovely, cutting edge stuff.  As I said, everyone has their own opinion.  As for my glass half empty?  As I peer into my coffee mug...Its three quarters full!  Fine day ahead, its warm enough to get out on the Kawasaki for a few hours and carve up some of the hills above the Ohio River.
Fagey (and the rest of the bike fans), can't wait to see the new 800 screamers!
Fax
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 06:22:04 pm by Fax MKII » Logged
oldtimer
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 06:56:20 pm »

Fax - don't get me wrong I am not trying to have a pop at your opinion but surely, assuming of course full grids can be obtained at some point in the future, any cars relatively closely matched will provide excellent racing regardlessof their fuel type.  Think of the inevitable march of the oil burners with your three-quarters full cup of coffee goggles on.  Don't worry all will be well with the world of racing.

I was lucky enough to attend both the Silverstone and Brands Indy events and despite absolutely terrible weather (those cars really weren't happy in the wet!) the racing was brilliant.  I loved them.

As for MotoGP - also fantastic. Enjoy your burn-up.
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 09:10:04 pm »

We can but hope that the arrival of the Pug will mean Audi may be pushed a bit harder and make a bit more noise Wink

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 11:04:48 am »

o/t, do you remember the Gold Leaf gas turbine car?  That was a blast, eh?  Never seen (sorry, heard) anthing so dull as Jochen Rindt (one of the top-most guys I've ever seen on a race track) whispering past.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 04:31:28 pm »

This might amuse everybody - I have been invited to a seminar on the future of green fuels at the ACO next week!!! (No idea why, assume it's an ACO members' thing.)
http://www.sartem.fr/fr/
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 04:34:17 pm by termietermite » Logged

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2006, 05:07:46 pm »

Point well noted about full grids making for a competitive race.  However I suspect we're going to see four ultra expensive Audi's and Peugeot's, and a bunch of grid filler.
I suppose at the end of the day what makes me warm and fuzzy about racing is watching the competitors visually on the limit, laying it out there.  Didn't see that with the R10 (and never did with the R8 for that matter).  Probably why I find F1 such a crashing bore these days as well.
As for Jochen and the Lotus, it may have been quiet, but you can be sure he was on the limit Wink
Fax
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 06:33:05 pm »

Yes the Audis never looked near the limit, and Jochen smoked more than an R10

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 08:55:11 pm »

From what was left of his tires, the cigarette in his hand, or from his ears when he was having a usually well deserved melt-down at Colin Champan. Wink
Fax
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: