Club Arnage
May 17, 2024, 01:42:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 158   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modern Commer Replacement  (Read 1046723 times)
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #1800 on: June 27, 2008, 11:26:06 pm »

Andy,

As ever, a truly marvellous tale of Homeric proportions to rival the old boy's Odyssey.  Not just for the most recent excursion to La Sarthe, but for all of the other times too, along with other events.  The annual MOT tale of suspense of will she, won't she?  Outside the Mess at Marham.  Your inadvertant mal-treatment of her as she gamely struggled to maintain equilibrium in temperature despite a hot French day and you flying the Union Jack (a la Italian Job) across the front of the grille.  Tales of things that went bump in the night and of strange coincidences.  And many, many other memorable things, not least of which is, as I type, a thread that stretches to 122 pages with 1,815 replies, viewed 38,409 times, which started out 20 November 2003, nearly 5 years ago, as a "what could Andy get to replace the Commer". 

http://www.clubarnage.com/forum/index.php?topic=1195.0

A true legend in so many senses, including being the star of the annual CA offical Le Mans poster.  An honourable vehicle, driven by an honourable gentleman (well, sometimes).  With grateful thanks for the entertainment and friendship she has engendered.  We shall miss her, and the MGA wishes her well too - she has just run me back from High Wycombe after the week at work and I see she has now shed tears of oil on the garage floor in sympathy.  A glass of red has been raised to her and drained!  All the best to her and her future custodian - best they look after her, that's all I can say!

MG Mark
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 11:28:58 pm by mgmark » Logged

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Doris
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Eating's Cheating!

View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: June 27, 2008, 11:55:10 pm »

Never in my life have I felt so melancholy at the passing of an icon.  She is truly the Queen of the Road and shall be much missed at LM.

Can I take her to NZ with me so she can see off her days in the sun?

I might have to keep her away from the mountains though.  It seems she had enough trouble with the French hills this trip.  When I called Chris Z on the Monday we left Rouen to find out iof you were going again I was fully ready to forgo my beer, drive back from Enfleur, and tow her to the ferry - and there's not many that can say I'd give up a beer for them!

She is truly a legend and I toast her with a glass of Normandy's finest.

Dx

Live imperfectly and with great delight.
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: June 28, 2008, 12:00:33 am »

Oh I can just picture the look of pure joy on Dragonwife's face when she glides gracefully down the drive of Sconefinger Towers Smiley

Priceless!!!  Grin
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: June 28, 2008, 12:17:57 am »

Andy, what a fine epitaph. I sit here with my glass of NZ Sauvignon Blanc and raise it to her money iwth a tear in my eye.  Cry

I am heartbroken to think that I will not see the Commer at Le Mans next year, or on my driveway for the beer festival or a party, or on your driveway when I fly off to Sebring in March. She has been a glorious friend that has given you so many good memories to treasure her by.

Let's just hope that someone from the forum an afford the time and money to bring her back to her glory to keep the dream alive!!  Smiley
Lord Pig-Pen
Club Arnage God

it's all a bit much at my age.... Ich Habe.

View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: June 28, 2008, 12:46:04 am »

Having just returned from a saucy visit to my local I must say how fantastic it is see such appreciation for the old green lady.
I raise a gents measure of Vodka & Tonic to her. She will be forever with us.

The Pig-Pens

What do you mean dust?.... Thats not dust, this is dust! Ich Habe Honda S2000 and its not mine!
Lord Pig-Pen
Club Arnage God

it's all a bit much at my age.... Ich Habe.

View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: June 28, 2008, 01:31:41 am »

Oh I can just picture the look of pure joy on Dragonwife's face when she glides gracefully down the drive of Sconefinger Towers Smiley

Priceless!!!  Grin
The Jaunty wheelspin on departure from HAS was my last view of her. Snigger Grin

What do you mean dust?.... Thats not dust, this is dust! Ich Habe Honda S2000 and its not mine!
garyfrogeye
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a messy Houx Annexer

View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: June 28, 2008, 02:29:42 am »

Andy,

Thanks for sharing your story. Although I only met her once, the sight of her this year along side us at Houx Annexe (Sud) will be indelibly etched into my mind.
She will be missed by her four wheeled and two andfour legged friends.

If I was you, I wouldn't start from here
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: June 28, 2008, 02:39:13 am »

It's like a bereavment, Andy the Commer widower  Sad.

I'm fresh in from the local pub, and all the local pub folk are telling me I'm mad to sell her. It's not a sale as I see it, but the passing on of a majestic British mantle. A torch keeping aflame the legacy of a decrepid British light goods vehicle industry, the memory of long closed factories and those who worked in them with brown overalls, hooters, tannoys, vernier gauges poking out their back pockets and big teapots which never went cold. All now kept alive by ingenious engineering from pattern parts on a drive in Sussex. Well regrettably, it can't go on for ever.

So thank you one and all for all your kind words, and good wishes. She's not gone quite yet, there's still a long hot summer to get through first, and she'll be at a certain event in Hants in a few weeks time. But I'm sure of one thing, those were our salad days, when I was green in judgement, cold in blood... and we thought they might last forever...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 02:58:11 am by Andy Zarse » Logged

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Doris
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Eating's Cheating!

View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: June 28, 2008, 03:18:40 am »

Andy,

If nothing else, please tell me the number plates will be passed on to a machine worthy of their status and reverence.

Dx

Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: June 28, 2008, 03:23:45 am »

BSA/Ariel 3 wheeler. that's what I really crave. With ZAR 5E on the back.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Doris
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Eating's Cheating!

View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: June 28, 2008, 03:33:07 am »

To be honest, that's not what I imagined the Zarse number plates on when I had them made for you, but if that's what makes you happy my friend I shall not argue.   Kiss

Dx   

Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: June 28, 2008, 09:49:11 am »

Fine words for a fine old friend.
 She has always had a place in my heart. She sums up everything that is Le Mans to me, spirit, endeavour, courage, friendship, adventure, endurance and good old fashioned British grit and stubbornness in the face of adversity.
 I'll never forget my first encounter with her as she made her way up that hill outside of Alencon. To see the legend of CA at the end of my first LM adventure just put the finishing touch to a weekend that I knew would change my life for ever.
 S

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Black Granny
CA Veteran

Please give generously, You know it makes sense!

View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: June 28, 2008, 11:22:50 am »

Andy
I felt the same way when the black Granada Estate finally had to go after several years of Stirling service going to and from Le Mans. I must admit our only breakdown was due to a dodgy starter motor that refused to play ball once the engine was warm.

Hope the Commer has a better fate than the Black Granny!

Mines a Gin & Tonic
Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: June 28, 2008, 06:58:50 pm »

Andy,

As the ole girl is being gracefully retired can I suggest that wqith all the Commers documentation. You also print out her CA heritage from this forum.

You never know, she may return to La Sarthe.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 07:55:48 pm by Leftie » Logged

At my age, it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night!!!!!!!!!!!
Then, growing old is compulsary, but growing up is just optional.

I don't do GREEN, I've got a 4x4
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: June 28, 2008, 09:32:09 pm »

Surely we can apply to the lottery fund to keep the old girl running. After all she is our heritage Grin

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 158   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: