Club Arnage
May 12, 2024, 08:49:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Royal Scandal  (Read 22255 times)
Dave H
CA Veteran

burrrrrrrrppppp

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2004, 06:52:22 pm »

H:
It's all about going in from the underneath (which I believe is the definition of engrailing).

I'm planning on getting a garage lift in the coming year for routine maintenance and cleaning (and so I can stuff a track car in the garage in the future), but don't have any modification plans for this motor (e.g. Stage upgrade, suspension, changing to enormous turbos and all the new cooling additions that entails).  I'm stock and banging out a lowly 415 bph - I know several dudes online who have modded their Turbos up to 700+ bph.  I struggle to comprehend what they must drive like.
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2004, 06:57:25 pm »

Can I go all traditional?
H

Very, very nice H. How often do you get it out? (fnarr, fnarr) I'm sure I've seen this car in an episode of The Sweeney, being chased by a Gold Granada. It had two sheepskin coat clad 'faces' toting sawn-offs and hollering, "You'll never take me alive, copper".

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2004, 07:18:09 pm »

Quote from: BigH
Has anyone ever tackled the water pump in an Esprit? (and not murdered their family and neighbours afterwards)
[quote

Have not had that pleasure - but made the terrible mistake of thinking it would be a piece of piss to replace the radio antenna on the 88 IROC Camaro I once owned.
I am convinced that Chevrolet built this car with the aeriel being the core component and they just constructed the rest of the car around it. I recall a fairly desperate scene, out in my driveway on a chilly Yorkshire Sunday - it was getting dark, the entire dash was lying on the pavement, the sterring wheel was off and the wheel well liner was being blown down the street. My wife was ferrying cups of tea and gently reminding me that my ever more creative and voluminous profanity was starting to scare the neighbors. It was an ugly scene.

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2004, 07:56:12 pm »

Matt, there's still traces of rotten fruit on the front bumper from when the market stall was taken out, and I think there may be some mush from Shepherds Bush where the spare should be...
Blimey, 415bhp standard! is that the turbo then Dave? You wouldn't last 10 minutes over here mate with all these bleedin' cameras everywhere now, just nipping down the shops for 20 Senior Service is enough to double your insurance premium.
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
Dave H
CA Veteran

burrrrrrrrppppp

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2004, 09:25:11 pm »

I agree with Matt - H your motor looks stunning - like you could eat off it!  Mine's got some of Indiana's finest road grime all over it.

Yes, it is an 03 Turbo - quite a handy upgrade from 01 C2 I was driving before that.  It's bollocking fast and not too common in my neck of the woods, though I was in LA a month or so back and they were all over the place like mole hills in a french garden.

Is the Jag the infamous ramraid vehicle of several years back?
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2004, 06:29:20 am »

What a great trhead going here, H would that be the 3.8 with the gold coloured heads? Robbo I thought AC Cobra's were mandated with Ford Lumps? Dave while one can never have too much horse power Porsche are one of the few car companies that provide " fit for purpose" cars. Any time you get more than 100 hp per litre is a good time to stop messing with what ain't broke. Shocked Matt would you like a signature on those covers?
Canada Phil
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2004, 11:15:50 am »

Ramraid vehicle indeed!!

Ah, well, yes, actually you're right there Dave. It's a fair cop...
I have to say the insurance company did their stuff though, I reckon they coughed up about 10 grand, and my classic premium remains at around £200 fully comp. It's about time I got a result from those b*stards!

I have to say I've always had a hankering for an oldish 911, but every time I talk of selling the jag my mates gang up on me. The one to go for for me would be a mid seventies Turbo, but finding one that hasn't been caned or is'nt a scary banking story waiting to happen might be tricky now. Still....

Phil! Shouldn't you be covered in reindeer skins and tucked up in an igloo by now?
H

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dave H
CA Veteran

burrrrrrrrppppp

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2004, 10:48:30 pm »

Holy Crap - that speedo tells a tale....

Don't get Phil excited here H.  Don't you know Yetis are still a myth?  Let's keep it that way.
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2004, 12:23:49 am »

Matt would you like a signature on those covers?
Canada Phil

Hiya Phil, chipped the ice off the keyboard? If that signature is factory pilote and Powermite lookalike, Rocket Ron Fellows, I'll definately take you up on it. I'll bring the car to Sebring (along with Truckosaurus to carry the coolbox). I've managed to scalp some pit passes from First Air, who ship European teams cars over here, so if you can work your magic, I'll get you on the 'wrong' side of the wall.
Me and Fax will be at Rolex next weekend - you driving down for that one too?
H - The speedo shot looks good - being on the naughty side of 100 - but the string-backed driving gloves - or is it a twill sleeve? are inexcusable. Re older 911's - in my limited experience, I found late 70's turbo to be one of the most dangerous cars I've ever driven (due, I'm sure to my lack of skill in such a weapon). On boost, all kinds of terrifying things happen and I found it very difficult to stop the back wheels catching up with the fronts. Way too strong for me. Mid 90's 993 4S would be my slightly less insanely priced Porker. Dave's 996 TT is awesome and much more forgiving - just astronomically expensive. Your S Type is beautiful - did you restore it?    

BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2004, 01:28:59 pm »

Wotcher Matt,
My driving gloves are amongst my most treasured possesions, along with the matching pants, socks and tie, and Rick, I'll have no comments from you, or we'll be talking 'chamois leather lined lycra pants' before you can check for claggy on the waggy....
Hmm, frightening stuff about the 911 and it's handling, that's pretty well what I've heard before, but it still sounds tempting, a little like the sirens on the rocks, I know it'll be the end of me, but it sounds so damn good.
The car's a Mark 2, and yes, I bought it as a wreck from a farmer in Sussex, initially restoring it to concours, correct colour code and right number of pleats in the seats etc. All a bit mental really, and I soon got p*ssed off with the standard car so set about changing it to Coombs spec (John Coombs used to race prepare the racing Mark 2's in the 60's, Graham Hill, Roy Salvadori etc.). Barclays were quite pleased about that. It goes alright though, but I must admit that 130 does focus your attention. I don't think it would go much faster, it seems to hit a aerodynamic brick wall around there. The guy who took that photo of the speedo has not got back in the car since (2001), and sponged a lift back home with someone else.
Have a good'un at Daytona!
H

saveloy
CA Veteran

Quality remains, Time passes

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2004, 01:32:25 pm »

Keep the  Jag
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2004, 08:41:12 pm »

I'd have to agree with Saveloy - it's a splendid machine. Looks like a fairly significant investment too. The driving gloves will have to go, however - either that, or invest in a flat cap, Terry Thomas gap between teeth and start saying "Have a care, old chap", more fequently.

gibberish
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Old Smoothy

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2004, 10:04:47 am »

invest in a flat cap, Terry Thomas gap between teeth and start saying "Have a care, old chap", more fequently.

That's more like it

Reality is an illusion caused by alchohol deficiency!
Bobblehat
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

A racing we do go....

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2004, 02:51:55 pm »

Big H dont get rid of the string backs

When you have a classic one must dress correct. in a vetren you would were gauntlets, A vintage, sheep skin lined gloves, 60 classic string backs, and in the 70s a soft leather with little air holes cut out the back, just like mine for driving the Scimitar GTE SE6

Flat cap is of course optional, just as wing collers and afros in the Scimitar

Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2004, 06:28:35 pm »

Air-hair-lair you gorgeous creatures.

I have a piccy below of Big H in his Terry Thomas days getting out of the back of the Jag at Le Mans in the mid Eighties.

I recall him muttering "You're an absolute shower" as he made his way to his luxury fur lined tent. He told a load of German Porsche and Merc fans they were all "Absolute rotters and stinkers". He met a young lady called April and told her "Oh to be in Paris now April is here". He then bowed down and kissed her on the hand, thereby passing on his galloping gingivitus in the tobacco flavoured slother.

He was later arrested for cheating at golf.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: