Club Arnage
May 04, 2024, 12:47:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Now confirmed: Porsche builds LMP2 !!!  (Read 3207 times)
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« on: April 15, 2005, 06:29:08 pm »

No bullsh*t, just copied from the Porsche Northamerica website:
New Porsche Prototype Racing Program Announced for North America

Penske Motorsports to Partner in Campaigning New Factory-Built Porsche Racecar

ATLANTA, GA, April 15, 2005 – In response to increasing customer demand and to raise the excitement level in American sports cars racing, Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (PCNA), and Porsche Motorsport North America (PMNA), today revealed they will embark on a new racing program created for customers in the American Le Mans Series (ALMS). The two organizations have commissioned their parent company, Porsche AG, to design and construct a racecar that will be eligible to compete in the LMP2 (Le Mans Prototype 2) class of the ALMS. It will be the first Porsche-built prototype racecar since the 1998 Porsche 911 GT1.

Penske Motorsports, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Penske Racing, Inc., will field the new Porsche prototype in its first full season of competition exclusively in 2006. One of the world’s most successful racing organizations, Penske Motorsports has a rich racing history with Porsche highlighted by winning championships in the 1972 and 1973 SCCA Can-Am series campaigning the legendary Porsche 917/10 and 917/30 race cars. It is anticipated Penske Motorsports will debut the new Porsche prototype at the final two races of the 2005 ALMS season, the Oct. 1st Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta and the Oct. 16th season finale at Laguna Seca, as test events before entering the entire 2006 season.

“Our American racing customers have made it clear to us that they would like to move up several levels in ALMS competition, as would we,” said Peter Schwarzenbauer, PCNA President and CEO. “We believe this new Porsche prototype program will provide the perfect means to do so and will generate added enthusiasm for sports car racing in America, especially with Penske Motorsports as our partner and initial entrant.”

Porsche’s current ALMS customer program, administered by PMNA, is confined to the GT2 (formerly GT) Class, where Porsche customer teams have captured a record 47 victories resulting in Manufacturers Championships in five of the past six seasons primarily racing variants of the production-based Porsche 911 GT3. It is the latest in more than 30 years of highly successful North American Porsche customer racing programs that have featured such famed Porsche racecars as the 934, 935 and 962.

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
chrisbeatty
CA Veteran

Note to self, think of something witty.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 06:35:37 pm »

Ooooh so it was true!!

http://www.clubarnage.com/yabbse/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=2895

So I guess it's pretty obvious it's gonna end up at LM2006 as well!!  Only question is...does this mean they are gonna be building an LMP1 as well??
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 07:16:52 pm »

Does this mean that they will built in Poole, Dorset - UK?
Jem
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 06:06:47 pm »

At last a return of the mighty Porkers is in the offing.  Can't wait.

Jem
Fax
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2005, 11:10:06 pm »

Interesting news that it's going to be campagned in connection with Penske but it looks like it will be just in association with Penske, not the factory Penske squad.  I saw the Penske prepared and raced Porsche 917's in the Can-Am series and they are still the most impressive racing machines I have ever seen.  However Jem, I wouldn't refer to them as the mighty Porkers just yet, after all its going to be a LMP2 car which means it will probably be getting its doors blown off by the Vette's, Aston's and Ferrari's of the GT1 class.  I find it odd that they are ducking Audi by not building a LMP1 contender.  It will of course be a good thing for the ALMS to have new LMP2 cars out there as the prototype ranks have been getting a bit thin in recent years.
Fax
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2005, 01:12:07 am »

Hi Fax,
          Based on there press announcment it says" in response to their customers requsts"
 So a step up from GT has a market for the product. Who would buy an LMP1?
Canada Phil
Fax
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2005, 06:02:13 am »

Agreed Phil,
Right now you would be out of your mind to purchase a LMP1 car, unless you enjoy fighting for third in class behind Audi's.  I think its a very good thing that Porsche is building customer prototype cars, as I mentioned the prototype class has been thin in recent years and most cars currently campaigned are several years old now.  Some new equipment would bolster the grids nicely, especially since some constructors have sold out and started building those cheap Daytona prototypes for Grand-Am.  I just wouldn't read into this that the mighty Porsche factory team is making a return.  This appears to be strictly for competitors looking to get into LMP2.  I don't think Porsche has the cash to go taking on Audi for overall honors in LMP1 anytime in the near future.
Fax
Jem
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2005, 04:34:57 pm »

Oh ye of little faith !!!

Should the Porker works team make a welcome return to La Sarthe I've no doubt that they will win, no doubt whatsoever.  History speaks for itself.

As you might have guessed I kind of like Porkers !!

Jem
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: