Club Arnage
May 02, 2024, 03:27:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: France fuel shortages due to industrial action  (Read 37891 times)
Pilgrim
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2016, 12:14:41 pm »

Today's strike article on the Beeb says, amongst other things",

"However, on 14 June, when French senators begin discussing the reform package, the unions plan to stage a "powerful national demonstration" in Paris."

That'll be Tuesday 14th which is travel day for many people. I've no idea whether there will be any collateral damage but I'd guess ports/ferry staff and maybe immigration people may take some form of action. Hope not though...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36395905

Something else to consider is the chance of being affected on the return journey. I was caught out by that a couple of years ago and, while it wasn't insurmountable, t was a hassle I didn't need as I was one of the lucky souls who was taken ill because of the Beausejour campsite sewage problem in 2014.

Agreed. It is not too difficult to outwit silly French fuel shortages. It is the ferries/ports which must be of greatest concern. Hopefully matters will be resolved in time. I am amazed that in my 27 previous trips to LM I have never once been affected by industrial action.
Kev_mk3
Club Arnage God

The Cheeky Northern Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2016, 12:19:45 pm »

All seems to be ok apart from Total in Le Man now for fuel

aricus654
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2016, 01:32:19 pm »

Today's strike article on the Beeb says, amongst other things",

"However, on 14 June, when French senators begin discussing the reform package, the unions plan to stage a "powerful national demonstration" in Paris."

That'll be Tuesday 14th which is travel day for many people. I've no idea whether there will be any collateral damage but I'd guess ports/ferry staff and maybe immigration people may take some form of action. Hope not though...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36395905

...... I was one of the lucky souls who was taken ill because of the Beausejour campsite sewage problem in 2014.

I don't remember any problems, but I also don't know about the sewage problems - can you expand (without any graphic detail)

Aricus

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made
Pilgrim
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2016, 02:26:00 pm »

The toilet block leaked into the pond beside the entrance road to BSJ. As I only had a tent the campsite bods put me on the narrow strip of grass between the road and the pond. The smell from the sewage going into the pond had people walking by remarking repeatedly on the stench. It got bad enough that, on the Saturday night during the race, the sewage wagon came by to try and drain the pond. The pond which, being only feet away from, gave me a bug that pretty much ruined the entire trip because I recovered near to going home and left during the race to get an earlier train.

At which point I got to the station only to find a reduced TGV service owing to industrial action.
jimclark

(nothing more needs to be said)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2016, 03:57:15 pm »

Confucious say "Never drink from pond on raceday."  Grin

"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

jimclark
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2016, 05:14:30 pm »

There is a story which many have heard from when we used to camp on MB, me in my caravan, the WANCS (RIP) in the RV and GAB and others dotted round in tents. Our favoured spot was behind the semi permanent bogs. One day the shot lorry didn't show and the cess pit concrete lid floated off and the contents rose up to visit us. It was a pretty big pond and my mates motorbikes were parked behind the caravan and they had to paddle in it to rescue their bikes. Very unpleasant. Once the lorry eventually came the WANCS were able to use their dirty shower water to wash the solids back down the hole. Up till then we hadn't usually been that happy to see the sh*t lorry turn up but after that there was an act of worship every time it arrived.
Pilgrim
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2016, 05:26:50 pm »

Confucious say "Never drink from pond on raceday."  Grin

'He who cooks carrots and pees in same pot very insanitary.'
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2016, 10:22:01 pm »

Many years ago, somewhere towards MacDonalds I slipped whilst climbing  a fence over a ditch and nearly fell in.  There were more Richard the Thirds than a Leicester carpark  Grin

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Pilgrim
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2016, 11:19:34 pm »

One thing I did notice last year was that nobody was allowed to camp on that roadside strip next to the pond. I also noticed that, for the first time as far as I know, BSJ had its own medical centre.
redstu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Buuuuurp!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2016, 01:56:54 pm »

Were there any problems with the ferries?

I didn't hear about any , but  as we are travelling on the 14th which is the next action day it may well be different Sad.

Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2016, 02:08:00 pm »

Were there any problems with the ferries?

I didn't hear about any , but  as we are travelling on the 14th which is the next action day it may well be different Sad.

Chunnel was ok, think P & O were, Brittany ferries usually running an hour late, except into Le Havre which were cancelled.
lynxd67

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2016, 02:56:35 pm »

The next general strike is the 14th June. Le Havre will be closed but Caen, Dieppe and St. Malo will suffer an hour or two of delays. Calais I know not. Also the SNCF have a rolling two day strike in operation on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

To change the subject a bit, I've only just found out that the roads are closed from early doors on Thursday instead of noon.
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2016, 03:51:43 pm »

To change the subject a bit, I've only just found out that the roads are closed from early doors on Thursday instead of noon.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that they were not going to re open the roads between the wednesday and thursday sessions, but I can't find any confirmation for this.

The Ferrari challenge practice starts at 10am on Thursday which would account for early closure/not re-opening.
redstu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Buuuuurp!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2016, 10:16:07 pm »

Just have to hope that Calais is open and dont get delayed too much.

We have booked rooms in Rouen on the Tuesday night which makes for a good break in the journey so it would be nuisance to get there late and not get a chance for a few beers!

Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2016, 10:45:50 pm »

Found where I read about the road closure.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122729
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: