Club Arnage
May 08, 2024, 06:28:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Delta Wing Project  (Read 64955 times)
Bentley boy
CA Veteran

A quoi bon

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2011, 12:02:03 am »

Not sure if this will grow on me over time like the Audi R18 did  Shocked  any other thoughts

http://www.racer.com/deltawing-michelin-gallery/slideshow/440/
nickliv

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 09:09:21 am »

Better than the new indycar. Mind you, my barking spider looks better than the new indycar.

If I had all the money I've ever spent on drink, I think on balance, I'd probably spend it on drink.
Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

I'd rather have another Tropillama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 09:48:29 am »

Xxxx x xxxx xx xxxx

Remarks Censored.

t.

La Légend s` écrit sous vos yeux.
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 01:34:37 pm »

It's a real marmite car. I don't like it at all myself, but it does look to have a great group of people behind it and proper funding. So, unlike other 'innovative' cars that have been given a LM entry over the last few years, it might just manage more than a few slow laps.

Talking of underfunded, badly designed crap, anyone know whats happening with the Aston? Has it finally been towed down to the woods and torched yet?

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 02:26:37 pm »

It's a real marmite car. I don't like it at all myself, but it does look to have a great group of people behind it and proper funding. So, unlike other 'innovative' cars that have been given a LM entry over the last few years, it might just manage more than a few slow laps.

Talking of underfunded, badly designed crap, anyone know whats happening with the Aston? Has it finally been towed down to the woods and torched yet?

I would not like to be anywhere near that if it was doing 200+ down the Mulsanne in a high cross wind.
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Real men do it for 24 hours

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 02:40:02 pm »

The fastest Reliant Robin you'll ever see.

I wonder if its stability might be similar...
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 04:17:16 pm »

Lazy B'stard
The hidious Delta Wing car is to be the 56th invitation car at next years 24hrs. It will built by a Dan Gurneys All American Racer group and run by Highcroft.

Your thoughts?

see this from before

http://www.clubarnage.com/forum/index.php?topic=11111.0

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 05:44:38 pm »

Funny you should mention the Aston. Dave has managed to sell on at least one tub, to the delta wing team!

Maybe its not as well funded as we think, why else take a tub from the worst P1 car ever to turn a wheel.

Good luck to them.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 08:33:20 pm »

Wish this over-hyped turd would go away, they've been pimping this device for a couple of years now, first as the new generation Indycar, now as a sportscar, and the f@#cking thing has yet to actually turn a wheel.  I've thought all along this a PR stunt, purely to attract interest to the company, and that there's no intention whatsoever of this thing ever actually racing.  Unfortunately the sport is full of attention seeking hucksters/clowns like these.
Speaking of turds, the new Indycar you mention Nickliv?  Is actually the old Indycar with a new areo package.  Its the same old tub that Dallara been selling for a decade, just with a updated (and butt-ugly) facelift to the aerodynamics, and a new engine formula.
Fax
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 09:44:03 pm by Fax MKII » Logged
Shortcut
CA Veteran

Team Booze 'n' Tabs

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 10:09:28 pm »

Funny you should mention the Aston. Dave has managed to sell on at least one tub, to the delta wing team!

Maybe its not as well funded as we think, why else take a tub from the worst P1 car ever to turn a wheel.

Sorry to bring your theory crashing down, but have a look at the photos of the car, it is left hand drive.  I know the Aston is challenging the lower end of the performance bracket, but it is right hand drive, and the chassis is physically impossible to convert to left hand drive.
Good luck to them.

"What do you mean you are busy in the second week in June for the rest of your life!"
Robbo
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

"ANTHEM"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 10:51:56 pm »

Sorry to bring your theory crashing down, but have a look at the photos of the car, it is left hand drive.  I know the Aston is challenging the lower end of the performance bracket, but it is right hand drive, and the chassis is physically impossible to convert to left hand drive.
Good luck to them.

Direct quote from Mulsanne Mike's website: When asked directly about the Aston Martin AMR-One origins of the monocoque (9.13.11 entry), Bowlby offered an initial hesitation followed by, "There's been some speculation...and it is accurate."  The use of the AMR-One tub is pretty straight forward; vastly reduced lead times.  Not to mention lessened hassle as the AMR-One tub has already undergone all the necessary crash testing and meets the latest crash regulations.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 08:44:34 am by Robbo » Logged

Pessimist - Glass half empty
Optimist - Glass half full
Engineer - Glass twice as big as needed
Kristof
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 10:53:47 pm »

Wish this over-hyped turd would go away, they've been pimping this device for a couple of years now, first as the new generation Indycar, now as a sportscar, and the f@#cking thing has yet to actually turn a wheel.  I've thought all along this a PR stunt, purely to attract interest to the company, and that there's no intention whatsoever of this thing ever actually racing.  Unfortunately the sport is full of attention seeking hucksters/clowns like these.
Fax

Couldn't have said it better !

Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 12:14:39 pm »

Two things i'll wait to see.
1 How it tracks going down the Mulsanne. It's always going to have a wheel in the lorry tramlines.
2 With the width of the rear i hope the driver remembers 'if' he passes other cars.
And i wonder what mods were done to the Aston chassis. A right hand tub is virtually impossible to make into a left hand drive.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Shortcut
CA Veteran

Team Booze 'n' Tabs

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 12:37:49 pm »

The only way the Aston chassis can be used, is if it is kept in right hand drive layout.  There is a structural beam running in between the driver and passenger areas, and the space on the left, the passenger side, is physically too small to get into to make it a left hand drive car.  The beam is part of the chassis, and is manufactured as the rest of the chassis is manufactured in carbon fiber with aluminium core.  The beam cannot be removed as it will structurally impare the integrity of the chassis, as well as invalidating the FIA crash test.  Also, there are inserts in the chassis that such things as steering column, power steering unit, pedals, seat belts, kers motors and kers unit are fixed to.  If you changed the car to a left hand drive, these would all have to be repositioned as well, which again, will impare the structural integrity of the chassis.  Also, there is a roll hoop in front of the driver, on the right hand side, and this roll hoop is not in the left hand side, and again, this is an integral part of the chassis.

Turning the Aston chassis to left hand drive, would be possible, but it would take a redesign to move the beam, roll hoop and all the inserts.  This would require new pattern work, new moulds, and then a new chassis that would be required to re pass the FIA crash test.  In reality, I believe that if the Aston chassis is to be used, it will remain in right hand drive layout.

"What do you mean you are busy in the second week in June for the rest of your life!"
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 01:46:06 pm »

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news/delta-wing-rolls-out-aston-martin-based-2012-le-mans-car/

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newssept11.html

Maybe its a redherring and the Delta wing is all new.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: