Club Arnage
May 12, 2024, 09:54:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grand Prix: The Killer Years  (Read 9886 times)
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 08:58:52 pm »

I found a copy of Prof Sid Watkins book in a jumble sale, and it describes setting up the proper medical facilities etc.  Uniquely, he has wonderful things to say about Bernie Ecclestone, who was boss of FOCA at the time and running Brabham.  In one race, he told the circuit that unless they did what Sid wanted, the drivers would get out of the cars, which were on the grid, and they'd all go home Shocked

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 09:28:37 am »

I'll defend Bernie on few things, but his stance on safety is one of them.  Going back to the 1978 Italian GP accident, if you've ever watched the entire fiasco...
Immediately after the shunt, two very badly injured drivers (Ronnie Peterson & Vittorio Brambilla) were left lying in the middle of the track for over fiteen minutes, accompanied by only their collegues (Patrick Depailler, James Hunt, Didier pironi, Arturo Merzario,etc) waiting for help, while the Italian police were busy clubbing, or sending German Shepards at people trying to get to the accident scene to help.  Clay Regazzoni was in Bernie's face, in a state of absolute rage, wanting to know why in the hell there was no medical help on the scene.  I think that had a BIG effect on Bernie at the time, and did afterwards in the wake of Ronnie's death.
People in the sport these days don't realize the probably thousands of racing drivers who owe their lives over the years to the efforts of men like Jackie stewart, Louis Stanely, and yes... Bernie.
Fax
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 09:32:25 am by Fax MKII » Logged
pedersenkorsager

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 07:17:01 pm »

Hi
to all of you who missed it it kan be found on youtube.
Kenn

The easy way to spot a Dane?
look for the hanging heads in the pitlane :-(
Pilgrim
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 12:04:17 pm »

I found a copy of Prof Sid Watkins book in a jumble sale, and it describes setting up the proper medical facilities etc.  Uniquely, he has wonderful things to say about Bernie Ecclestone, who was boss of FOCA at the time and running Brabham.  In one race, he told the circuit that unless they did what Sid wanted, the drivers would get out of the cars, which were on the grid, and they'd all go home Shocked

IIRC, one of Bernie Ecclestone's few areas of sentiment is about deceased drivers. During the late 1950's, IIRC, Ecclestone was closely involved with the tragically lost Stewart Lewis Evans who was killed at the Morocco GP at the end of the 1958 season. Ecclestone stayed out of racing for many years after Lewis-Evans's death as a result of it and perhaps the fact that the 1958 season was one of tremendous losses among drivers.
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 06:18:32 pm »

Watched this for the first time last night on the Velocity Channel over here.  Wasn't as sensationalist as I thought it would be, actually not bad.  Most of the footage we've seen a thousand times, but the interviews with some of the greats of the era made it well worth watching.  Most of the opinions are what I expected, Jackie's battles with circuit owners, and Nina Rindt's anger with Colin Chapman are well known.
Fax
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 12:14:31 am »

This week I was given the last bit of my 2011 Christmas pressie, which was the Ecclestone biog. Not in a position to start reading it yet (still reading Keith Richards, Christmas 2010 pressie, and have others to go) but I'm quite looking forward to it even though think I dislike him, to say the least.

Will update this thread once Iv'e read it.

About 2015 I reckon :-)
Bentley boy
CA Veteran

A quoi bon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 12:38:55 am »

James Hunt always blamed Patrese for Peterson's death. Did Hunt take this opinion to his grave?

Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 01:46:02 am »

As far I understand, yes.  Nigel Roebuck did a interview with Patrese several years ago, where Ricardo said that he had tried to patch things up with Hunt, but James wouldn't talk to him.  Most people who remember the tragedy, tend to agree that James was probably as much to blame as Ricardo, but could never bring himself to face it.
There's no doubt Patrese moved over on James in the run to the first chicane at Monza, but its appeared that James perhaps over-reacted to the sight of Patrese coming over on his right, and clipped Peterson's right rear wheel when he moved left.
Hunt always maintained that Patrese hit him, but the video, and photographic evidence has never supported his claim.
Fax
Bentley boy
CA Veteran

A quoi bon

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 11:04:11 pm »

Thanks fax. I remember when Hunt did the F1 commentary with Murray, quite often when Patrese was shown Hunt would make a barbed comment!

My adibing memory of James was when i marshalled at Brands and I had to tell him to take his kids out of a garage during a race police
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: