Club Arnage
May 10, 2024, 09:12:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Campsite Thieving - What to do about it?  (Read 24054 times)
Pilgrim
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2009, 03:04:28 pm »

I must confess, as cynical as this sounds, whether or not in, say, five years time, groups like SpeedChills or similar won't end up running more and more of the campsite space,....
The ACO really do seem to be in two minds as to whether they want to deal with the public at large. I think the main reason for people using the agencies in the past, is that they get the tickets they ask for (even though Maison Blanche is half empty, the ACO think its full).

So does this mean that as well as the agencies mark up, we'll have to pay for private security and site fences

Well, the ACO have long had  less than superb reputation for giving punters the camping allocation they actually ask for, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if, in a few years time, much of the campsite space is in the hands of private operators. So yes, I'd say there's a distinct possibility that, as time goes on, people will increasingly be turning to privately run camping spaces, either because they get fed up with the ACO ticket lottery or because that may be all they can get.
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2009, 03:41:37 pm »

If the ACO did offer the camping tickets online I would imagine it would be chaos.

They would all be gone within hours, most into the hands of the scalpers and no one would get what they wanted. If they restricted the number allocated then those that want more would be upset.

Alot of people also make multiple applications, further hampering the process while the aco waits form them to either not pay or be informed.

The system (if you could call it that) does not work, but right now I cant think of one that would.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2009, 05:22:04 pm »

The system (if you could call it that) does not work, but right now I cant think of one that would.

Neither can I.

3 ideas though:

1) For a start they should give some priority to ACO members, otherwise they won't have any left.

2) The other problem is that they seem to dump large groups on BSJ automatically. You could get round this, but due to the pitch numbering system, you cannot order small amounts of tickets (or source them here and there) and then get together on the site.
So scrap the numbering system, but enforce the one campsite ticket per marked pitch.

3) Control the price that the agency's charge, especially the huge markup on GA tickets, that ticket is not in short supply, and the price a lot of them charge is pure blackmail if you have to buy 1 or even 2 for each camping permit.

Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2009, 05:46:55 pm »

I agree that ACO members should get a priorty as well as the discount, something many cant take advantage of as they buy via agencies;

Like you I don't know why they cant restrict the sale price mark up of the entrance tickets, not all agencies do this anyway so there must be a choice involved.

I like the marked but not numbered pitch idea.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Pilgrim
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2009, 06:23:17 pm »

3) Control the price that the agency's charge, especially the huge markup on GA tickets, that ticket is not in short supply, and the price a lot of them charge is pure blackmail if you have to buy 1 or even 2 for each camping permit.

This would be n excellent idea, in my opinion.

Another reason I went with SpeedChills for the 2010 race is that I can buy a single race ticket, which is important as I travel to Le Mans alone. The ticket agency I used before (I won't name them) wouldn't sell a camping permit to me unless I also bought at least two General Admission tickets and both the GA tickets and the camping permit had something like a 10% markup, in addition to the agency charging extra for a (compulsory) Royal Mail Special Delivery.

This time, I've got a single GA ticket and private, secure camping, washing and toilet facilities, entertainment, food and a decent bar, for the same price as I would have paid for two GA tickets (when I only need one) and a place on the public campsites where the amenities and security will (more than likely) be nowhere near as good.
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2009, 06:55:32 pm »

Beginning to sound like an ad ! Wink
landman
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2009, 07:40:26 pm »

£269 for a 7m x 5m pitch for 2 people & a 'family' car.

£135 pp.

So that's £135 for camping in a 'secure' compound with own toilets & showers.

Seem to remember that I paid £31.75 for my camping last year [say £35 for this year?], so you're paying roughly £100 for the priviledge.

Think I'll stick with Club Carnage.

May be if a few of us wander around with fleckie vests on & pretend to be security we'll avoid the thieving pikies?

Crouch..........bind..........set
Pilgrim
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2009, 07:49:30 pm »

Beginning to sound like an ad ! Wink

Sorry about that, I didn't realise until I read it again just now.

But campsite security is, for me, an issue that the ACO need to come to grips with in some way, rather than take what's currently a relatively small problem and ignore it until it gets worse enough to start putting people off going. I can do without extra comforts if I need to (it is a camping trip after all) but I'm reluctant to do without proper security if I don't have to.

And if I went to my previous ticket agent again, I'd end up paying just as much (if not more) for an extra GA ticket I don't need. As I'm travelling on a reasonably tight budget, I don't want to be spending more money than I have to and if I can get improved facilities for the same amount then I don't mind doing that.
johnevans3
CA Veteran

Howdy Pardner

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2009, 05:40:48 am »

Andy, you started this thread.  We talked about getting the world straightened out a couple of years ago and the sometimes extreme measures that may have to be taken in some situations.  In Texas, we just blow the f***ers away if they come into your home or into your car with you in it.  (Is your tent or car your home at Le Mans?  No, and you are in another country.)   Here a S&W 357 will do nicely.  But thank God, this is Texas, a no bulls**t place.  I understand that you guys in Europe have turned in your means of self-defense and face a bad situation that will only get worse over time and not just at Le Mans but everywhere.  It will eventually get that way here in the states unless a lot of misguided liberals (progressives) wakeup to the fact that criminals will not turn in their guns and will be the only ones with one.  What happened to responsible common sense?Huh
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2009, 06:44:21 pm »

Hi John,
A quick google tells me that last year in the UK there were 50 deaths from firearms (it's been about the same for the last 10 years). In the USA it was about 10,000.
It's a sad fact that more Americans have shot and killed each other since WW2 than were actually killed in the war.
Common sense enough for you?
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
johnevans3
CA Veteran

Howdy Pardner

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2009, 03:30:12 pm »

Hi Big H,
Good to hear from you.  How is that beautiful Jag?
As to my post. Responsible common sense was absent with senseless or brainless killings that have happened anywhere in the world.  Certainly, guns are available and people do stupid stuff with guns, knives, cars, baseball bats, etc.  But, I would never put a sign in my front yard saying, "There are no guns in this house to protect me from criminals.  I will wait on the police to show up."  A gun owner has a level of responsibility that 10,000 people failed to reach unfortunately.  But disarming millions of law abiding gun owners is not an appropriate answer and to this point in time, gun ownership is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.  I don't think anyone has a good answer for stupid or out of control hotheads misusing a weapon.  I'll guarantee you that not every one of those 10,000 was a robbery in one's house or that they were in fear for their life.  Self protection or hunting is the only appropriate use for these weapons.  It was more than likely a fit of anger where somebody did something stupid and unfortunate like not securing the weapon from curious children.  BTW, we kill a lot more people in car crashes (nearly 40,000) and too many are through anger.  We call it "road rage" and this is a dangerous game that some people play.  There are a lot of people driving to who don't drive very well at all.  I don't know if you guys have much of this in U.K. or not but it is happening, especially in high stress driving in urban settings mostly.  Anyway, as long as their are stupid people or criminal types preying on people, we will continue to debate the issue of self protection and the responsibilities that go with it.  Stay safe.
je
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2009, 05:02:31 pm »

It's difficult to know what to do isn't it. I mean, Kenn Korsetter and his boys could arrive packing heat at the CA encampment on Blue Nord. There'd be a drunken argument over one of JPC's card tricks, the shooters would come out and there'd be freeform mayhem like the saloon at Nowhere Gulch. Next thing The Gimp would go into one with his sex hammer, MG Mark will call in an airstrike and with innocent fans caught up in the Beaten Zone, it'll be Boot Hill for the lot of us.

No, self defence is the name of the game so Team Zarse have cancelled the Commer this year and taking a page out of the Pirranha Brother's book...

* gaytank.jpg (52.47 KB, 594x388 - viewed 366 times.)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 05:05:45 pm by Andy Zarse » Logged

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
johnevans3
CA Veteran

Howdy Pardner

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2009, 03:50:12 am »

NOW WE ARE TALKING!!!!! Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
pedersenkorsager

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2009, 06:29:14 pm »

So to bee sure to meet the Zares on even ground, we might have to bring this little fellow along. Anyone knows what a pumpkin is called in French?

Hmm...  Fair ruels, how do i get a picture in here Huh
 Huh Huh Huh Huh

The easy way to spot a Dane?
look for the hanging heads in the pitlane :-(
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2009, 07:59:56 pm »

....Anyone knows what a pumpkin is called in French?
Apparently its a potiron.  I'd have thought a pamplemousse would have been more appropriate

For pictures, click the second  button in the second row and paste in the url, or upload from "additional options"
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 08:02:21 pm by Lorry » Logged

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: