Club Arnage
May 14, 2024, 07:42:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Free Market...  (Read 14248 times)
Maggie T
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: May 10, 2004, 04:32:10 pm »

I have just been looking through the messages on this board and there seems to be some serious anti free market.

Ok there are some outfits out there that will think nothing of charging over £100 for a general admission tickets and then there are the Ticket Agencies that will sell you a camping permit for a 20% markup and then insist that you take there not existant hospitality for £75 a head.

However there is much to be said for the leting those who went to the effort of arranging there tickets to sell there supplus on the open market at the market price. Ok several hundred pounds for a camping permit is extreme but that is the point of a free market - the price of goods finds its own level.

Look at a few of the messages in the last few days - the attack on epsomltd for offering spare tickets at what ever the market will stand - This is club arnage not the communist party!

Also look at Pajero Pete's post passing on the details of what actually looks like a good deal from an establish provider - he and the provider get attacked at for profiteering.

If you actually do the maths on what the deal offers I bet you couldn't provide the service for that price - It does include a camping permit and free booze etc... It is a good deal!

While the ACO makes a mockery of there own booking system and people booking one permit per tent or even person there will always be a so called black market.

In many ways the fairest way for people to resell their surplus tickets is via an Auction where the tickets will find there own price level.
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 04:47:18 pm »

Dear Magster,

Is it really twenty five years??

I actually agree with much of what you say, indeed it would be ridiculous not to. But if you want to join in an auction, then why not try an auction website? I mean, you don't go on ebay to have witty banter and repartis between LM fans do you? I would have thought that made perfect sense.

The reason auctions are not allowed here is manyfold, but is largely to do with the legal basis of a business relationship between the proprietors of CA and the ACO.
You were probably unaware of this fact hence your post above. Also I imagine the Mods don't want pages clogged up with bidding wars. End of matter.

Enjoy your well earned retirement Mrs T. Will you be meeting us all at the champers bar at 9.00 saturday?

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004, 04:51:28 pm »

Well, hell,
Why bother with a face value in the first place, maybe the ACO should just auction the whole damn lot of them.
There's actually a Free Market in a field near here every Sunday morning, but it's full of sh*te and no LM tickets.
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2004, 04:53:54 pm »

I think I'll stay out of this one - just sit here on my lonesome and sip my shandy....

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Broken
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004, 04:58:57 pm »

maybe the ACO should privatise  Shocked and double the prices of the tickets in the first place  Lips Sealed

Maybe Smokie better delete that b4 somebody sees it....
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2004, 04:59:23 pm »

Hi Matt,
Is it "Matt 'No Mates' Harper" from now on then?
H

BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2004, 05:09:07 pm »

Wasn't it Peter Cook who suggested that Mrs T's public image could only improve if she would give us an occasional "flash of her vag"?
H

Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2004, 05:23:35 pm »

Hi Matt,
H

So it would appear. My self-effacing replies and grovelling apologies fell on deaf ears over the weekend. It's been terribly upsetting for me - I really don't know what to do. This person obviously doesn't like me and it's causing me all manner of concern.
What would you do, H? Dazzle me with your acumen?    

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Abs
CA Veteran

Boys at TVR do it again!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2004, 05:34:09 pm »

Wasn't it Peter Cook who suggested that Mrs T's public image could only improve if she would give us an occasional "flash of her vag"?
H

H, I'm sure if Mrs.T were to wear nice conservative knee length skirt on the old liver would be on full view by now.

Any married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
remembering the same thing
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2004, 05:37:28 pm »

Firstly Maggie, welcome to Club Arnage   Smiley

As Andy has already stated, there are reasons behind the choice of this site not to allow profiteering. However, at the end of the day it is not "our" site but belongs to Club Arnage or Dave Davies. It is his choice what the rules are, and we are simply adhering to them. Perhaps we protect/self enforce them a little vigorously sometimes but I'm sure if you get to know us (and hopefully meet us at the Champagne Bar on Saturday night) you'll get to find that we are actually quite nice!

As for what happens on other sites, good luck to them but if people want to advertise something they are going to make a profit on, then use one of the pay sites!
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2004, 05:38:18 pm »

Hi Matt,
H

What would you do, H? Dazzle me with your acumen?    

I want to see H's "acumen" about as much as I want to see Thatch's vag. I hear he keeps it in a kid leather pouch.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Ruptured Duck Motorsport
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2004, 06:02:09 pm »

My two-penneths worth;

Yes, it is a free market, but it clearly states "no profiteering" and it is a free world too, so no-one has to sell here do they?  So if the free market decides to take there tickets elsewhere for a profit, then I am sure they will, in the mean time as long as folks RTFM (read the f**king manual - or FAQ), then they know the score.  It strikes me as incredibly rude to not be sure of what is accepted or not and then get upset when it is pointed out.

Anyway, Maggies fur burger can stay in my nightmares....

Scarred old slaver know he’s doin’ alright.
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2004, 06:12:19 pm »

Matt,
You've taken a pasting, and no mistake. And have you spoke to Dave recently? I'd be a little worried about the lad, he may have decided to take the last waltz. I know that you fragile and shrinking violets can only take so much.
On the subject of 'taking so much', that is my first thought on advice. They say a good drink never solved anything, but in my experience unanswered questions were never so much fun. Epsomelda was obviously a profiteer and hairy waxy eared lizard person, and any person who doesn't need a 'flying fart' either has a very full life or is in league with the Devil and shouldn't be trusted. (wasn't someone advertising spare seats on a flying fart in another thread?)
Of course he may be a thoroughly nice chap and is marrying my daughter on Saturday, in which case I'll be wringing his bells in person.
I like the idea of an auction for Flying Farts though. Instead of a waved program or a raised eyebrow, the next bidder would break wind in a personalised and distinctive way, signalling a small raise in the bidding. A large raise in the bidding though would necesitate the risk of a trouser-full alright, and I doubt that that pace of purchasing could be kept up for long. I can hear it now "Sold! - to the man in the chest waders!"
Like a wahoo he's headed for deep waters, but the clubs ready...
H
« Last Edit: May 10, 2004, 07:07:18 pm by BigH » Logged

Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2004, 07:15:21 pm »

Like everyone else I applaud the principle of a free market, however as they say 'everything before the but is bullshit', heres the but,

This site has been set up by a fan for fans of the greatest motor race on earth to chat and exchange stories not to make money for the posters, thats what e.bay etc are for.

There may come a time, when for any number of reasons you are short of a ticket or two, I am relieved that there is a chance you will not be scalped by some ponce who has ordered 20 of the damn things with the sole view of flogging them on e.bay at a massive mark up.

With this in mind you can shove your free market up your arse.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Bobblehat
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

A racing we do go....

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2004, 07:39:28 pm »

"Sold! - to the man in the chest waders!"

Surley Big H that should be "Soiled"  Lips Sealed

Hey Matt dont let the barstwards grind you done, you drink your warm lemonaid and be proud Wink

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: