Club Arnage
May 17, 2024, 03:33:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CA members Guidebook for LM 2006  (Read 51695 times)
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« on: March 22, 2006, 09:14:21 pm »

Hi all,

This year it will be my 20th pilgrimage to La Sarthe, and on this occasion I’ve decided to become sociable and do something for the community. Like some of you too, once again we will have some newbies in our team this year, so I’ve decided to compile sort of a guidebook for them called “Le Mans (not only) for Dummies”. Just for them? What do you think if I do it for all of us and make it available as a printable version for download, something like an “unofficial race guide for CA forum members”. My idea is a 20-25 pages booklet with the following chapters:

- Raceweek schedule (with integrated FIFA worldcup dates:-)
- Le Mans for Dummies – some backgroud (1 page)
- War of the classes (1 pages)
- Full entry list (with pics and info about drivers), app. 10 pages
- Basic Race Regulations (1 page)
- Transportation in Le Mans
- Shopping in Le Mans
- Other useful information

The present state of this undertaking can be viewed at www.lemanszone.de/caguide2006.html

I plan to keep maintaining this document, occasionally issuing the latest draft and make the final version available for download just a couple of days before race week so I can keep up e.g. with latest driver changes. You’ll then be able to download and print it, so you can carry a lot of useful information to the track.

However some assistance would be needed to make it really useful:

- Someone going to PQ should take the task to take pictures  of most of the cars (ideally each car) and mail them to me, low resolution e.g. 640x480 will do  it and is easy to mail. These pics would be needed for the entry list
- A location scout for the planned poo bar meeting on Saturday, where will this be this year?
- Correction of typos, grammar mistakes and wrong wording. As you will have realized by now, English is not my native language, so feel free to be amused.
- Suggestion for other chapters

Do you think it’s worth doing? In case there will be some positive feedback here in this thread I will proceed with this.

Smokie – is it OK or are there concerns about this?

Cheers

Werner

« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 09:56:20 pm by Werner » Logged

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 09:38:26 pm »

Werner- I'll be your Poo Bar scout

Also, i found that all the PQ pictures of cars are on the aco website within a day or so. None are water marked.

Take life by the horns and live it.
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 09:38:54 pm »

Cars all look a bit similar though don't they?  Undecided

Well, last years document contained pictures snatched from various websites, but that was for private use and just a handful existed. This draft for 2006 is now on the public internet and I do not want to run into copyright issues, so I've inserted a dummy picture. As mentioned above, someone going to PQ hopefully can provide some pics for the final version.

hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 09:56:40 pm »

Werner, your pdf file looks very good by first view. Cool

I know PlanetLeMans has a Le Mans for Dummies-guide, and maybe you can find some hande tips to fill up whatever might be missing>> http://www.planetlemans.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=11&Itemid=42
There are also quite a few links that might help you out>> http://www.planetlemans.com/cmsv2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=267&Itemid=2

Keep going Werner, excellent stuff!

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 10:10:58 pm »

Great Idea Werner,  how about apost LM sequal with tales and pics after the event.
garyfrogeye
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a messy Houx Annexer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 12:28:47 am »

How about a CA team members spotters guide, like the entry list but made up of YABB Gods and Full members only. (that will incentives us newer folk to post more)
Photos of them with important statistics like waist measurements and beer mountain designs.
Invaluable I'd say.

If I was you, I wouldn't start from here
Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

I'd rather have another Tropillama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 01:20:39 am »

Very nice Werner,  can I suggest that you add a "www.clubarnage.com"
some place.   May be a place to write in practice times and replacment drivers.
Things and things like that.   In fact it may be cool to have the PQ times and orther relevent info.

Just an Idea,

t.

La Légend s` écrit sous vos yeux.
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 05:56:21 am »

Thanks for all the positive feedback, looks really like it's worth proceeding with this.

Robbo: Thanks for committing to be the Poo bar scout, so the new location for our Staurday night bash will be in the guide

Paddy: Thanks for the PlanetLemans info, I'll scan through this site and see what we can use.

Thanks also to all others for your suggestions, yes PQ times should be part of it, a www.clubarnage.com will placed somewhere.

Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 02:25:49 pm »

How about a CA team members spotters guide, like the entry list but made up of YABB Gods and Full members only. (that will incentives us newer folk to post more)
Photos of them with important statistics like waist measurements and beer mountain designs.
Invaluable I'd say.

Brilliant idea... Grin Grin Grin

Ferrari Spider
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 03:09:20 pm »

Werner,  excellent idea, there is quite a bit of info on this forum which has been covered previously which is more to do with the History of Le Mans, and may be of interest for us who have an afternoon to spare, for example, Crash of '55 track marker, previous circuits layouts, LM memorabilia in the town, drivers hand prints for example, drivers parade, aircrash sites,  I dare say some of the other regulars can add to the list, best of luck when will it be ready Grin

You may wish to think about a down loadable electronic booklet instead of a hard-copy, just a thought.  That way you can update easily.  Peter
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 04:40:10 pm »

Good idea, everyone who has to add something might do so so that Werner just coordinates and puts all things together.

Also, the idea to write down your individual LM  stories and memories (if there should be any left) after the race and put them all together in a book is brilliant. This will be a funny read for the time in between.

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 05:32:24 pm »

At vairous points (pre and post race) in time you could convert it into a PDF document, that way you could have lots of pics without it getting toooo huge.
Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 08:34:32 pm »

Good idea, everyone who has to add something might do so so that Werner just coordinates and puts all things together.

I have to say I agree with that point.   People often don't realise what goes in to a project like this.   Werner could spemd all his spare time on this beetween now and the race.   The we come along and download and print it and think
"That was easy".

So Werner,  if there is any thing I can help with let me know. 

t.

Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2006, 09:05:47 pm »

Hi all,

thanks a lot for the feedback. Just 24 hours ago I started this thread and already there is a lot of feedback in this forum as well as in pm.

There's now another draft with more stuff in it, special thanks to Neil aka Dobbo from www.racetours.co.uk for allowing me to loot his website, especially for the chapter “Where to watch” .

Other new (but still incomplete) chapter is about the support race.

Please have a look again at  www.lemanszone.de/caguide2006.html and lets alltogether try to fill the gaps in the next couple of weeks. You can mail anything you consider useful to my e-mail-account president@lemanszone.de.

Cheers

Werner
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 09:57:27 pm by Werner » Logged

Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2006, 01:09:06 pm »

Has anyone seen any statement as to what the length of the new cuircit will be?  I'm creating a table for speeds and lap times for inclusion in the guide and  so I need that information.

I thought I may also try to create a table that can be used to help you guess how many laps the leader wil complete in the 24 Hours.

T.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: