Club Arnage
May 08, 2024, 01:47:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 24H in a wheelchair! Advice on local transport...  (Read 11477 times)
easyrider64

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2015, 03:11:31 pm »

Good Afternoon!

Colin the 24H "newbie" here!  I'm a classic car owner & confirmed petrolhead... I've been a member of the Silverstone Racing Club since '91, and currently hold season passes for both Silvo and Brands, but although I visited the circuit about 15 years ago, haven't yet made it to the 24 Heures. So, albeit at the last minute, I'm thinking about a trip this year, hence my joining CA - I met an existing CA member at the Donington Historic Festival a few weeks ago, who recommended the group/forum!  Smiley

I use a wheelchair, so there are obviously a number of things I need to check in advance. I've found (hotel) accommodation - camping won't, I think, work for me and I'm a frequent user of Ibis hotels... obviously, all the Ibis (and other Accor Group) hotels in Le Mans are full, but there's space in the one in Laval, which is only about 40 miles away... not much further than from my home in Oxford to Silvo.

The question I'd like to ask here is:

What is the best way to get in and out of the circuit... I'm told that all the main roads in the town is absolutely solid with traffic during race week, and the tramway has been recommended as a better option. Are there any other wheelchair users on here who use it and can confirm that it's wheelchair friendly?

I've found and read the - extremely useful - "Visitors with physical disabilities" guide by a lady called Deborah Dudley on the CA Wiki, but she doesn't mention the tramway. I speak French, and have gone through the full SETRAM website, but can't find any access info there... my hope/plan would be to use the P&R at the University and take the T1 tram, which I believe terminates within the circuit itself?

Before I contact SETRAM by other means, any tips or advice on whether this sounds workable would be gratefully received... In terms of getting round the circuit once there, I'll be fine - I have an electric "Power Trike" bike attachment which clips onto my chair and has a 25-30 mile range between charges.  Smiley My idea would be to arrive on Thursday next week, and return to my hotel each night... except Saturday night obviously! ;-)

Cheers!

Colin C.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 03:31:07 pm by easyrider64 » Logged
Jason
CA Veteran

Has anyone booked my hospital room?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 03:47:18 pm »

Sadly Debs isn't with us anymore, and the Tram wasn't in place when she wrote the part for the guide. Ian may be along and could advise.
If you're staying in town, that sounds a good option, just make sure you know what time the last tram is, as night sessions end midnight.

Wooosh!!!!
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 04:19:31 pm »

Great to hear that you want to do this. Please do us a favor after the race: Add your experience to the wiki - may be an update to Deborah's report, that would be great.

Werner - CA Wiki house keeping

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
clkgtrlm1
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Le Mans - Follow the Carbon Footprints!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 05:23:44 pm »

Hello Colin C,

And welcome to CA from a fellow CA'er - also in Oxford (Woodstock!).

I have been going to Le Mans for a number of years (19th now).
On of our group has a disabled lad who attends occasionally - even camping ! - Although he has parental assistance.

Are you bringing the Classic (What is it?).
Obviously if it is RARE, you need somewhere safe to park it.

http://ticket.lemans.org/info-pratiques-auto?

Firstly, contact the ACO.
They have ticket deals, free parking and grandstands available for badge holders and their carers. (See attachments)
Grandstands 13, 17 and 23 all have disable access for FREE.
Head to the Grandstands early on Saturday as it will be 20 or 30 people deep in punters 2-3 hours before the start! (allow at least 2 hours to get through the crowd).

Secondly, I suggest you call Setram.
Although I don't have personally experience for disabilities on the Tram, I understand that some stops (maybe not ALL) but certainly Antares does, have disabled access.
Access from Antares to the circuit and village is good from Antares, although access to the outside of the circuit can only be found using the ramps / underpass between "S" de la Foret and Tertre Rouge Corners AND at the underpass at the main (Nord) Entrance (by the Musee).

Finally, I would say that traffic is NOT ALL THAT BAD during the week.
Except on Saturday 4 - 5 hours before race start and 2 - 3 hours after on Sunday and maybe an hour or so before each qualifying session  - so Thursday.
Just make sure you leave early AM on Saturday to get to the circuit.

If I can help in any other way, just ask

Dean

* discount-conditions-2014.pdf (335.17 KB - downloaded 215 times.)
* ACO-tribunes-2014.pdf (1611.93 KB - downloaded 362 times.)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 05:47:36 pm by clkgtrlm1 » Logged

Baldrick, my Lord! But I can change it to Ploppy if it'll make things easier.
lynxd67

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 06:12:32 pm »

The tramway here at Le Mans was designed with wheelchairs in mind, unlike the circuit, which is more difficult. But fear not for getting in and out of Le Mans dear chap. However, I can't speak for Laval. Not been there in years.
pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 07:58:49 pm »

Hi easyrider64, and welcome to the CA forum. Cannot comment at all on the wheelchair access to trams etc. but can comment on the traffic in and out of the circuit approaching from the Laval direction. Until the last couple of years we used to stay that way (Evron-Mezangers) and commuted in to the circuit daily, using the D357 or the A81/A11, joining the D338 ring road near the university. Over 19 years we have rarely found the traffic to be that bad at all. There will of course be some queuing for whichever parking area you are destined for, and even then, as others have said only for Thursday night qualifying (when the locals come out in force) and on the Saturday itself when of course an early start is advisable. I reckon we have never queued for a car park for longer than 20 minutes going in on the Saturday am, arriving at the circuit around 09:30am.  Getting out a different matter, but wait an hour and a half or so post race, and most of it melts away. The LM authorities seem to make a much better job of managing it than some other major circuits I can think of.

Whatever you do have a great time, it won't be your last :-)

Pete B.

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
aricus654
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 08:53:40 pm »

Colin,

Welcome!

I can only give you hotel information. Accor Hotels can get cancelled up until 18:00 on the day booked. Last year I arrived with a slipped disk but with one day booked in a hotel.  (I was convinced by my son to give it a go). I really couldn't do camping but I was able to book a room every night each day or evening - clearly there were cancellations.

I suggest that you check the web site or even call every day.

Also book for 2016 now you can always cancel up until 18:00 on the day or arrival next year.

Aricus

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 09:06:03 pm »

Hi Easyrider64, welcome to CA and hopefully to LM.
One of my first memories of Le Mans (2001) was a lad in a wheelchair that was being dragged through the mud (it was a very wet race) by his mates on long ropes, I was to learn that it summed up Le Mans very well, people will help you more than any other place.
In saying that, I think the wheel access has improved but it's not likely to perfect in the tunnel and the terraces are almost impossible to traverse even for the most able bodied about 1 1/2hr before the start of the race.
What would help would be an identifier, do you have a flag pole to fly a flag (unfortunately I think the CA flags are a bit rare now) but a good Union Jack would help or a donated CA Tee shirt (I have an old XL you can have). This would of course mean that you be greeted by many CA members and never be far from help whether you want it or not (you are also likely to be taken in completely the opposite direction that you want to go by the more inebriated members!). One thing for sure, if you do make it, you will go to the best and friendliest motor race in the world.
easyrider64

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 03:55:43 pm »

Sadly Debs isn't with us anymore, and the Tram wasn't in place when she wrote the part for the guide. Ian may be along and could advise.
If you're staying in town, that sounds a good option, just make sure you know what time the last tram is, as night sessions end midnight.

Hi Jason

Thanks for the reply and advice... much appreciated.  Smiley After I posted, I realised from reading another posting that Debs had passed away... sounds from that, and also her guide which I read, that she was quite a lady!

I'll check with SETRAM as you suggest, although some on here seem to be saying that if you leave early - as I'm used to doing for major events at Silvo! - that traffic isn't too bad and that a Blue Badge space in a circuit car park may be an option...?

C.
easyrider64

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 03:57:55 pm »

Great to hear that you want to do this. Please do us a favor after the race: Add your experience to the wiki - may be an update to Deborah's report, that would be great.

Werner - CA Wiki house keeping

Hi Werner!

If I make it - still trying to tie a few things together - I'd be happy to do that... finding it the other day was very helpful, and an update would also help others contemplating attending the 24H!

Hopefully it'll be this year, but if not, then definitely in 2016!

Cheers!

Colin
easyrider64

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 04:07:20 pm »

Hi Dean!

And welcome to CA from a fellow CA'er - also in Oxford (Woodstock!).

Thanks - good to hear from another local!  Wink

I have been going to Le Mans for a number of years (19th now).
On of our group has a disabled lad who attends occasionally - even camping ! - Although he has parental assistance.

I may try camping another time, but not until I've had a go at it at a UK event... maybe Cornbury or Carfest? Much easier to cope if it doesn't work out...

Are you bringing the Classic (What is it?).
Obviously if it is RARE, you need somewhere safe to park it.

http://ticket.lemans.org/info-pratiques-auto?

Unfortunately, my car - a 1983 Porsche 928S - is not quite finished (she's been getting new paint over the winter) so I'll be using my daily driver, a Skoda (Octavia!). Chalk & cheese, but both good in their own, different ways...

Firstly, contact the ACO.
They have ticket deals, free parking and grandstands available for badge holders and their carers. (See attachments)
Grandstands 13, 17 and 23 all have disable access for FREE.

Yes, I read that on their Le Mans site. Am about to drop them an email, but it looks like you can only get the ticket deals at the gate, and - it seems - the blue badge holder car park passes.

Head to the Grandstands early on Saturday as it will be 20 or 30 people deep in punters 2-3 hours before the start! (allow at least 2 hours to get through the crowd).

That sounds familiar... ever been to the F1 at Silvo?!  Grin

Secondly, I suggest you call Setram.
Although I don't have personally experience for disabilities on the Tram, I understand that some stops (maybe not ALL) but certainly Antares does, have disabled access.
Access from Antares to the circuit and village is good from Antares, although access to the outside of the circuit can only be found using the ramps / underpass between "S" de la Foret and Tertre Rouge Corners AND at the underpass at the main (Nord) Entrance (by the Musee).

I am about to do that... although from what you say below, I'm wondering if driving to the circuit and getting a blue badge space in a car park there may in fact be an option...?

Finally, I would say that traffic is NOT ALL THAT BAD during the week.
Except on Saturday 4 - 5 hours before race start and 2 - 3 hours after on Sunday and maybe an hour or so before each qualifying session  - so Thursday.
Just make sure you leave early AM on Saturday to get to the circuit.

Again, good advice, and that sounds very familiar from F1 and MotoGP at Silvo... I generally leave at 5 or 5.30am to get there for "gates open", and sail up the A34/M40/A43 in my usual 35 mins!  Smiley

If I can help in any other way, just ask

Will do... Cheers!

Colin

easyrider64

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 04:10:13 pm »

Hi easyrider64, and welcome to the CA forum. Cannot comment at all on the wheelchair access to trams etc. but can comment on the traffic in and out of the circuit approaching from the Laval direction. Until the last couple of years we used to stay that way (Evron-Mezangers) and commuted in to the circuit daily, using the D357 or the A81/A11, joining the D338 ring road near the university. Over 19 years we have rarely found the traffic to be that bad at all. There will of course be some queuing for whichever parking area you are destined for, and even then, as others have said only for Thursday night qualifying (when the locals come out in force) and on the Saturday itself when of course an early start is advisable. I reckon we have never queued for a car park for longer than 20 minutes going in on the Saturday am, arriving at the circuit around 09:30am.  Getting out a different matter, but wait an hour and a half or so post race, and most of it melts away. The LM authorities seem to make a much better job of managing it than some other major circuits I can think of.

Pete B.

Hi Pete

Thanks for your reply.  Smiley

So, if I read this correctly, you're suggesting that it might be possible (better!) to drive to the circuit and get a blue badge space in one of the car parks there? I'm very familiar with the traffic in and out of Silvo at major events like F1, MotoGP etc... generally I leave home at about 5am to get there for opening time, and enjoy a leisurely breakfast before the track action starts!

Cheers!

Colin
clkgtrlm1
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Le Mans - Follow the Carbon Footprints!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 06:28:56 pm »

Hi Colin,

Compared to Silverstone, the traffic is practically free-flowing.
You should not expect the traffic nightmare like Silverstone at Le Mans.

You will queue for an hour or two in the carparks and locals roads if you leave right after the race, but after a few hours and on the Autoroutes (All and A228 are near to the circuit, you will not get any problems.

People though - expect MUCH BUSIER than Silverstone.

Dean

Baldrick, my Lord! But I can change it to Ploppy if it'll make things easier.
pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2015, 08:02:53 pm »

Hi easyrider64, and welcome to the CA forum. Cannot comment at all on the wheelchair access to trams etc. but can comment on the traffic in and out of the circuit approaching from the Laval direction. Until the last couple of years we used to stay that way (Evron-Mezangers) and commuted in to the circuit daily, using the D357 or the A81/A11, joining the D338 ring road near the university. Over 19 years we have rarely found the traffic to be that bad at all. There will of course be some queuing for whichever parking area you are destined for, and even then, as others have said only for Thursday night qualifying (when the locals come out in force) and on the Saturday itself when of course an early start is advisable. I reckon we have never queued for a car park for longer than 20 minutes going in on the Saturday am, arriving at the circuit around 09:30am.  Getting out a different matter, but wait an hour and a half or so post race, and most of it melts away. The LM authorities seem to make a much better job of managing it than some other major circuits I can think of.

Pete B.

Hi Pete

Thanks for your reply.  Smiley

So, if I read this correctly, you're suggesting that it might be possible (better!) to drive to the circuit and get a blue badge space in one of the car parks there? I'm very familiar with the traffic in and out of Silvo at major events like F1, MotoGP etc... generally I leave home at about 5am to get there for opening time, and enjoy a leisurely breakfast before the track action starts!

Cheers!

Colin

Hi Colin, it is certainly possible. Would you be driving a 'modern' or a classic? If you leave at the sort of early hour you have mentioned on the way in then I doubt there would be much in the way at all, and no opening time to concern yourself with if REALLY early at the track. What I am not too sure about is the availability of 'Blue Badge' spaces in the various car parks. Not requiring this I have never really looked to see if those facilities were available in those we usually use. Maybe a quick call to the ACO to ask them? For info I would expect a drive in from Laval to take around 75 - 90 minutes max. at reasonably low velocity :-)

Edited to add - it may well be worth contacting the Le Mans Tourist Office also on 0033 243 28 17 22 for advice about 'Blue badge' parking etc. I am reliably informed they have excellent English speaking staff and are very helpful.

Best rgds,

Pete B.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 08:49:02 pm by pretzel » Logged

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2015, 09:15:34 pm »

The girls at the ACO also speak very good English and are very helpful.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: