Club Arnage
May 13, 2024, 01:04:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alfa 159  (Read 5319 times)
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« on: February 14, 2013, 10:38:28 pm »

My company car decided to expire in sudden and dramatic fashion and beyond economic repairs ( I hope)

Having had a look around I think I may ditch the company car and get my own. To that end I have been looking at an Alfa 159.as an alternative to the up to now trusty bmw which has eaten its timing chain, or dull looking Audi.

Are there any problems I should look out for with a 159, anyone own one?

« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 10:40:23 pm by Nordic » Logged

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 10:54:10 pm »

The answer is in the question, its an Alfa Romeo isn't it ! A mate at work has one so i will ask him about it tomorrow.
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 09:08:03 am »

Beautiful car, but as it's an Alfa it's a heart over head decision.
But I had an Alfa in the 70's when their reputation was terrible, and had little trouble, and have owned a Fiat for 4 years with (touch wood ) no problems at all.
JDS
Club Arnage Demi God

Moi, enivré? Sûrement que vous me moquez monsieur?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 09:20:21 am »

My Brother-in-Law had a recent Alfa 159 V6 - he said it was the best car in it's class he'd ever driven; sadly, in three years he only drove it occasionally as it spent more time with the Alfa dealer than it did with him. He replaced it with a new 5 Series which starts every morning ...... Heart over head decision.
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 10:54:59 am »

OK I got in work today and went to ask my mate about his 159 and ironically this morning the engine management light came on this morning and it went into limp mode. Apparently its the EGR valve which is prone to clogging so he needs a new one. Apart from that he likes it and would have another. Its a 2.4 straight five and has done 75K of which he has done 44K in three years. He did say its very low at the front and you have to be careful of high kerbs when parking.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 10:57:45 am by Chris24 » Logged
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 01:01:17 pm »

Head over heart.

My dad had a couple of Suds in the 70's, one was great the other a bit troublesome and my brother had few as well, always felt an affinity with the marque.

My bemmer which would have been the head choice, has snapped a timing chain, not uncommon  it seems with only a 117k on the clock, but up to then has been perfect but now pretty much written off.

Like the look of the Alfa, but have never driven one so I guess thats the next step.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 05:43:21 am »

Two stories for Alfa. A friend had a Sprint (?) called it Hoover....as it was great for picking up Fluff Smiley
Next friend held the opinion that the local dealer pre-printed the invoice as it was always $600 ( 20years ago) no matter oil change or tune up. it needed a lot of tune ups not so many oil changes. Smiley
Phil
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 07:01:38 pm »

I've heard the 2.4 diesel can be a disaster if it hasn't been modified/upgraded. I would ask on Pistonheads, there's bound to be some experts available for comment.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Kristof
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 10:14:22 pm »

If you're a petrolhead you should have owned an Alfa in your life (at least that's what they say  Grin).

I've had a 156 Selespeed (one of the first with shiftknobs at the steering wheel).  Only problem I've had was the gearbox getting trashed after 2,5 years; which I expected, so I got the extended warranty.  Sold it after 4 years to a friend who drove it for another 3 years without any problems.   

Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 11:05:41 am »

I was also tempted by a 159. Dutch Bas came to LMC in a tuned 159 GTD a few years back and I was very impressed. Build quality is supposed to be improving all the time, and to be honest, most cars have trouble with clogged EGR valves. At the end of the day it's an Alfa, be prepared for a slightly tempestuous relationship and you won't be dissapointed. Expect VW levels of refinement and reliability and you are just setting yourself up for a fall.

My personal experience of Alfas has been all good. The cheap rusty Suds and Sud Sprints I ran in the early 90's were all pretty reliable in the fact they got you to where you were going, if you ignored the non functioning sticks and switches behind the steering wheel. The high miles 156 Selespeed I smoked around in for two years was also spot on despite plenty of abuse, non existent servicing and upkeep- only needing an air flow meter replacing. Not bad considering the £200 I paid for the car in the first place.
 Last but not least are the Giulias I've owned. Simply the finest cars I have ever driven. Achingly pretty, beautiful handling, a gem of an engine and super reliable. A Giulia Coupe is the only car I've ever done a 700 mile journey in and wanted to carry on going. I love them to bits and they have probably kept me sane over the last 5-6 years. No matter how bad your day, just five minutes in a old GT and your troubles just melt away.

My advice would be to go spend £500 on a shitty diesel Mondeo for life chores, and spend the £25k on a really nice 1750 GTV instead. You won't regret it.

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Bentley boy
CA Veteran

A quoi bon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 03:16:20 pm »

If you fancy something a bit different & you're not a badge snob try a Skoda Octavia Vrs. I bought a diesel one at the end of last year. it's goes well enough (at least to keep a licence) and can do high 50's to the gallon.
Boot is huge (for loads of camping gear  Grin ) & as it's mostly VW/Audi bits it should be reliable. all in all a good piece of kit  Smiley 
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 04:11:11 pm »

I've just been going through the new car dilema thing. The Yellow Peril and our family car are both getting a little long in the tooth and if I don't spend some money the tax man will just take it anyway. Looked at loads, Alfa 159, BMW (yawn), Scirocco (quite tempted), Audi estates, various other sporting saloons. Yadda yadda. Found them all pretty uninspiring to be honest. Certainly nothing I wanted to spend my hard earned on.

Then I thought sod it. What do I need a new car for? I have a push bike for short trips, a couple of classics for summer fun and a shitty old Series 2 Land Pig for everything else. Quite happy with what I have.

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 03:32:13 pm »

I have driven Alfa's for 20 years and run a 159 now 1.8 deisel. It is a fabulous car. A smidge underpowered perhaps but comfortable and whips along on the turbo just fine. Pretty good economy too. I have driven approximately 700k miles in Alfa's and they have never let me down - even when my 156 popped a piston it ran very well until I was able to chop it in it had done 147K miles and owed me nothing. However I would always recommend caution despite my praise and love for this marque to anybody considering one - if a little rattle here and there irritates you to distraction or the fact that now and then you might need to tap a light to make it work - then don't buy one - buy an Audi or something less interesting. Alfa's can be a little 'individual' but like a naughty puppy - love them and they will love you right back. Good luck and enjoy.
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 07:51:11 pm »

One of the guys from my local snooker club has just bought a 159 (local car so low miles), aaaaabsolutely loves it, cockpit (his words, not his wife's) makes you feel at one with the car and it sounds greeeeeeaaat, he say's. Personally never owned one, but an Alfa GT was runner-up when I got my latest Audi. Drove quite a few rented Sud's a long time ago which were great and have always loved the marque.

>Martini...LB

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 08:47:19 pm »

Should find out this week which way the company want to go, suspect they may want to lease something Germany and stable.

If it's my money I'm sold on a 159 2 litre jtd, seen a few that are better value than a bmw or Audi.. Fingers crossed.

H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: