Club Arnage
May 10, 2024, 01:46:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Delta Wing Project  (Read 65142 times)
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 01:33:47 pm »

@ Shortcut...
The car shown at Petit at the weekend will have just been a mock up, a styling excercise, a show car, hence the LHD/RHD debate is not an issue. the Petit car won't have the Aston tub fitted, or an engine (they still have not decided what to use and as its a none stressed engine it doesn't matter at the moment). If the Aston tub is RHD then the delta car will be RHD when the actual race car surfaces.

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 02:24:08 pm »

Hi there,

was someone from CA at the PLM and did take a few pics of that deltawing-prototype? I'm planning for a "Garage 56" report for the next CA Guide so anything we could publish would be great

Cheers

Werner

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 07:16:44 pm »

Lazy B your dead on, its a mock up-show car, just like everything they've produced.  When this turkey actually turns a wheel, and does a competitive lap time time, then I'll believe it.  Until then its just another stupid publicity stunt by a company trying to draw attention to themselves.
Fax
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011, 03:33:25 pm »

I never thought I would say this but agree with FAX11 on this one. I am no engineer but even just looking at this abomination I wonder how they expect there to be any weight at all on the front wheels?? How will it go round corners?? Or am I missing something here??

Anyway I really just wanted to drop in a line to celebrate my affinity with FAX.  Grin
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2011, 11:28:58 pm »

Yes.  This will have no roll stiffness (anti-roll) at the front.  Most rear wheel drive cars have most of the roll stiffness at the front, so as the car goes round a corner, the lower stiffness at the back means both rear wheels stay on the deck and have traction.  Even Clarkson gets the gist of this, and his run in the Reliant proved it roll problems.  The Delta Wing will do much the same, just 100 mph faster.  Its leathal

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=130OVZcMEcA

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2011, 11:41:35 pm »

Its in todays Autosport that Prodrive have sold two Aston tubs to Deltawing, so definately using the Aston tub in this. Also no surprise that the last Aston is also dead in the water.
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2011, 04:00:20 am »

I think its unfair to draw comparisons to the Reliant Robin, a closer affinity has to be with the extremely successful Bond Bug Wedge of the 70's. Only the other day I watched a Discovery channel series on the resurrection of one of these iconic classics, Deltawing would do well to use it as a reference.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbYsSO7frCY
nickliv

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2011, 08:39:12 am »

I think you'll find that was going in a straight line.

If I had all the money I've ever spent on drink, I think on balance, I'd probably spend it on drink.
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2011, 08:46:48 am »

The concept seems so flawed I cant see why Dan Gurney and AAR are involved.

I have the utmost respect for him and what he has done over the years, some a bit of me is clinging to the hope they know more than us and it will work and the only reason it was not done before was it was against the rules.

Good luck to them, but I suspect the first race the delta wing does will be on Bonneville, powered by unicorn farts.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2011, 04:09:29 pm »

a closer affinity has to be with the extremely successful Bond Bug Wedge of the 70's. Only the other day I watched a Discovery channel series on the resurrection of one of these iconic classics

Also the brilliantly designed door, if you turned it over, which was likely, you couldn't get out.
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2011, 08:17:34 pm »

a closer affinity has to be with the extremely successful Bond Bug Wedge of the 70's. Only the other day I watched a Discovery channel series on the resurrection of one of these iconic classics

Also the brilliantly designed door, if you turned it over, which was likely, you couldn't get out.
Hey, that was a safety feature, to stop you getting run over after you turned it over.
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2011, 09:31:23 pm »

Hey, that was a safety feature, to stop you getting run over after you turned it over.

Boys boys, if i remember all you need is a swiss army knife of a stanley knife to cut through those hi-density safety rated vinly doors

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2011, 09:49:45 pm »

It would have been quiet cool for it's time, IF it had had 4 wheels.
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2011, 10:27:58 pm »

Agreed Nordic, I'm not pleased to see AAR invloved in this stunt.  That said, I don't know if Dan is just lending his company's name to help stir up some attention for them, or if they're actually going to be running this contraption, on the remote chance this thing ever actually turns a wheel.  Dan's said a few things in recent years that make me wonder a bit how much he's still all there.  Some of his recent interviews seem a little...confusing.  Like the time he said he & Phil Hill were going to set up an American F1 team, Phil's reply was to the effect of "I don't know where the hell Dan got that idea from, we've never even discussed it".
Deltawing may actually build a LMP car at some point, but you know damn well it not going to look anything like this pile of crap they keep rolling out at presentations.  I suspect if they do put a car on the track it will end up looking remarkably conventional.
Fax
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 03:53:51 am by Fax MKII » Logged
nickliv

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2011, 12:03:04 am »

I think its unfair to draw comparisons to the Reliant Robin, a closer affinity has to be with the extremely successful Bond Bug Wedge of the 70's. Only the other day I watched a Discovery channel series on the resurrection of one of these ironic classics, Deltawing would do well to use it as a reference.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbYsSO7frCY

If I had all the money I've ever spent on drink, I think on balance, I'd probably spend it on drink.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: