Club Arnage
May 10, 2024, 05:38:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Delta Wing Project  (Read 65153 times)
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2011, 02:13:29 pm »

Its in todays Autosport that Prodrive have sold two Aston tubs to Deltawing, so definately using the Aston tub in this. Also no surprise that the last Aston is also dead in the water.

One of those tubs was to be built into the car that Jota have paid a hefty deposit for. I bet they are well pleased Grin Grin

The Aston is indeed dead. It doesn't take an expert to see that the car was seriously flawed. The engine was seriously poor and they managed to create a body that managed to combine high drag and low downforce! That must be really difficult to do. They managed to build the racing equivalent of a Briggs and Stratton powered Route Master bus Roll Eyes

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
jimclark

(nothing more needs to be said)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2011, 07:47:59 am »

Agreed Nordic, I'm not pleased to see AAR invloved in this stunt.  That said, I don't know if Dan is just lending his company's name to help stir up some attention for them, or if they're actually going to be running this contraption, on the remote chance this thing ever actually turns a wheel.  Dan's said a few things in recent years that make me wonder a bit how much he's still all there.  Some of his recent interviews seem a little...confusing.  Like the time he said he & Phil Hill were going to set up an American F1 team, Phil's reply was to the effect of "I don't know where the hell Dan got that idea from, we've never even discussed it".
Deltawing may actually build a LMP car at some point, but you know damn well it not going to look anything like this pile of crap they keep rolling out at presentations.  I suspect if they do put a car on the track it will end up looking remarkably conventional.
Fax

x2

"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

jimclark
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2011, 05:12:55 am »

I never thought I would say this but agree with FAX11 on this one. I am no engineer but even just looking at this abomination I wonder how they expect there to be any weight at all on the front wheels?? How will it go round corners?? Or am I missing something here??

Anyway I really just wanted to drop in a line to celebrate my affinity with FAX.  Grin

The world has gone insane.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2011, 06:05:08 pm »

I never thought I would say this but agree with FAX11 on this one. I am no engineer but even just looking at this abomination I wonder how they expect there to be any weight at all on the front wheels?? How will it go round corners?? Or am I missing something here??

Anyway I really just wanted to drop in a line to celebrate my affinity with FAX.  Grin

The world has gone insane.

Couldn't agree more.
Kristof
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2011, 08:36:32 pm »

According to Motorsport Magazine, testing will begin in december, and - if all goes well - they want to race it at Sebring.  Let's hope they won't get out of the pitlane

Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2011, 10:45:54 pm »

According to Motorsport Magazine, testing will begin in december, and - if all goes well - they want to race it at Sebring.  Let's hope they won't get out of the pitlane

+1 on that Dottore. The whole concept should have been shelved the moment it was born.
Phil
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2011, 11:11:44 am »

It looks all wrong, so therefore it must be wrong.

Maybe these guys do know something we don't and it will go well, got to agree I defies everything that seems logical about what a GT or even a any racing car should be, but...

It does have some creditable people involved after all, lets give it chance.

For some reason I have woken up very charitable today.  
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 03:09:36 pm by Nordic » Logged

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
jimclark

(nothing more needs to be said)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2011, 04:05:02 pm »

I am no engineer but even just looking at this abomination I wonder how they expect there to be any weight at all on the front wheels?? How will it go round corners??

Q - Or am I missing something here??
  Grin

A - Polar moment.  Wink
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 04:07:30 pm by jimclark » Logged

"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

jimclark
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2012, 03:58:53 pm »

It's actually turned a wheel............ and a corner - albeit not very fast.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120302/ALMS/120309965

Del

Team Delboy Racing
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Real men do it for 24 hours

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2012, 04:51:10 pm »

They harp-on about 'the stability of an arrow' but surely that is a spurious analogy. An arrow is stable only because all the weight is at the front and the feathers are at the back. If an arrow was tail heavy it would be completely unstable.

This thing still looks like a death trap to me.

It's actually turned a wheel............ and a corner - albeit not very fast.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120302/ALMS/120309965

Del

DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2012, 05:27:20 pm »

They harp-on about 'the stability of an arrow' but surely that is a spurious analogy. An arrow is stable only because all the weight is at the front and the feathers are at the back.......

.....and an arrow is not designed to go round corners either.

Del

Team Delboy Racing
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2012, 06:26:41 pm »

They harp-on about 'the stability of an arrow' but surely that is a spurious analogy. An arrow is stable only because all the weight is at the front and the feathers are at the back.......

.....and an arrow is not designed to go round corners either.

Del

It is designed to fly though  Grin
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2012, 06:35:56 pm »

I'm not sure this contraption will actually be capable of maintaining a speed that won't make it a menace to everyone else on the cicuit.  Wish this PR stunt would just go away...
Fax
Kristof
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2012, 06:58:55 pm »

I'm not sure this contraption will actually be capable of maintaining a speed that won't make it a menace to everyone else on the cicuit.  Wish this PR stunt would just go away...
Fax

Not only the speed should be a concern.  How is it going to react when a much faster prototype overtakes it at high speeds.  Can't imagine it will be stable wit that small front area.

Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2012, 06:04:32 pm »

Find out later who will be suppling the engine for this device.

Looks link its still proceeding and a track run will soon happen!

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: