Club Arnage
May 16, 2024, 11:41:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How old is old enough?  (Read 7484 times)
slash

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2013, 10:18:29 pm »

The youngster and I have enjoyed several motor sport events this year, Silverstone 6 hours, F1, MotoGP, and now he wants the big one, so how old were your lads when you first bloodied them at Le Sarthe?
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Real men do it for 24 hours

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 11:02:15 pm »

My eldest was only three when I first took him to a sports car race at Brands Hatch, but he was 15 when he first came to Le Mans. Sadly his passion is not in motor sport, but in art and music, so he has never returned to La Sarthe as an adult (he is now 29).
Brad Zarse
Demi Moore's toy boy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Drinking can be hazardous to your health.....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 11:34:10 pm »

My son was 8.... Weeks Smiley
Took him to Silverstone for the 6 hours.  He's now 16 months, and has been again since... Perhaps not going to take him LM for a while though... I can barely
Look after myself out there Smiley

Check out my band!  www.blackmarketband.co.uk
On Facebook:  www.facebook.com/bandblackmarket

See you at a gig soon?
lofty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

joint european drinking initiative

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 10:04:25 am »

I first took Trig to Silverstone in 1991 in the april and thought he would be fine.So of to Le Mans in june.Nightmare.Anyway every year since then he is still the same at about 48 years old.The answer to your question is never sensible enough,but is that the point?Bring everyone and try them out.

J.E.D.I.
i dont want to be in a club
i want to be in a gang
or perhaps a drinking order
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 10:32:13 am »

My son was 12 years old when I first took him in 1998. Didn't do the full camping thing as he was taking exams at the time. He left school at 4pm on the Friday and we drove down to Pompey for the ferry, straight back after the race and he was back in school at 9am on Monday. Hard work but he loved it as he wanted to see a Mclaren F1 at Le Mans and it was to be their last year. It was a few years before he was introduced to the full camping carnage but he seemed to enjoy that too. Under 13s get in for free so that's a bonus. Pity it's not free for those that act under 13.

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
wishy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Shed's do track days!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 10:45:52 am »

I took my eldest for the first time when he was 13 and he has now visited Le Sarthe on 7 occasions and is already in the queue for 2014, as well as his little brother who started coming 2 years ago and who also loves the whole thing!
 It's great now that they are both adults and they can do their own thing without me actually having or trying to be the responsible parent Grin
oldtimer
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 11:04:26 am »

My son first attended at the age of 10. We slept in the back of the car and he did really well with keeping up with the long hours. He thoroughly enjoyed the experience and has been returning, exams permitting, since. One thing though.  He was absolutely knackered for about a week afterwards!
Muzorewa

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 02:19:57 pm »

12 when I took Jr - but when Aston get tonked by Corvette in GT1 as it was then, that makes a lasting impression....

pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 07:08:09 pm »

We took daughter, son-in-law and grandson (6 months) last year. The little-un certainly didn't understand much of course but seemed to enjoy the sights and sounds. Hopefully the experience will leave a little spark in his mind for the future.

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
clkgtrlm1
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Le Mans - Follow the Carbon Footprints!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 06:18:44 pm »

The youngest in our group ever was 12, but she turned 13 during the week at Le Mans (2009) I think.
We had a small crowd singing Happy Birthday in the G(ay)uiness Bar at the village - performed by the live band.

My boys were also 13 when they first went.

And my sisters boy came with us this year aged 13
....................you might have spotted HIM bouncing around on a space hopper late on Friday night at Tertre Rouge, shouting profanity in Danish. We didn't translate him, what he was shouting of course.

Baldrick, my Lord! But I can change it to Ploppy if it'll make things easier.
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 12:54:18 am »

Each of mine came to Le Mans once at around the age of 12-15, with a "pre-18, I'll pay - after that you pay your share" rule - it worked and most have been back for repeat visits at varying intervals depending on avaialble funds and other commitments. 

It seemed to be about the optimum age for them to understand it, enjoy it, and for me to feel comfortable enough to let them off the leash on their own for a time once orientated, at both the main and other supporting events, particularly as with mobiles, it's easy enough for them to call if they hit a snag somewhere - mind you, the first time revealed that getting their pay-as-you-go phones enabled for Europe before leaving would have been useful..... 

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Lord Steve
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The only self appointed peer on Maison Blanche!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 08:45:49 am »

My son was 29 when he came with me for the first time and scared the crap out of me by having a seizure on MB then being rushed into hospital in an ambulance. He still managed to get discharged in time to watch the race though. Strangely he hasn't seemed very interested in coming again.....

I tested negative for patience.
wishy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 05:41:31 pm »

Steve....you obviously didn't give him any advice on the aspect of pacing oneself Grin
Lord Steve
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The only self appointed peer on Maison Blanche!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 09:35:28 pm »

Hi Andy, he had his seizure after a fry-up and two coffees! Must have been a caffeine thing!

I tested negative for patience.
wishy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 09:14:45 am »

Grin Grin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: