Club Arnage
May 19, 2024, 05:32:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice 4 Newbie Motorhome Hirer!  (Read 8343 times)
smuudge
CA Veteran

I'm not a llama!

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2004, 10:06:25 pm »

Hello everyone,

Im after some advice and tips on camping with a 6brth motorhome that myself and 4 others have hired for 2005.

This is effectively my 6th time at Le Mans but my 3rd time camping and my 1st with a motorhome (seems a little daunting now that i think about it!), so advice would be much appreciated!

Firstly, whats the deal with running water? Can you hire a fresh water tap on site or do you just have to fill your water storage and hope for the best?

Secondly, hook-ups for electricity....how much does this cost and is it better than hiring a generator?

Thirdly, in you honest opinion, what is the best site for camping, the last year I went (99) we were in 'rouge' which seemed pretty good, although i cant remember an awful lot i was legless most of the time.

Thanks people,
Ben
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 09:19:10 pm »

All the sites are good, all having their own "flavour" as Big H pointed out with the water supplies .

The Beermountain lads took a camper , but had to purchase a 100 metre extension to their hook up so to reach for maison blanche.

once you have youre allocated camping permits, worry about genny or hook up.

Take life by the horns and live it.
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 12:42:26 am »

Camping Houx (NOT Houx Annexe) is the only one properly set up for real campers - nearby water and power. Tickets are hard to come by.

On other sites you depend on 1) knowing where the water and power are and 2) getting there early enough to get on it. Maison Blanche is OK if you know where to be.

Mr Toad will be along soon and can give some invaluable tips

Oh, btw, tickets are hard to come by on Maison Blanche too!
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 01:53:17 am »

Houx is good for motorhome users - I've done it for the past couple of years - but you're not automatically assigned power or water. To be honest, we only use the camper for shut-eye and pooing and showering, so we don't need power and only require one or two water top-ups from the nearest stand-pipe. I guess it depends on how long you intend to be at the circuit - for us it's Friday through Sunday - a short visit.
Chapelle is very good for RV's if you can tollerate the noise from the track - though you need to be there early to park on level ground.
Dunno what Chapelle availability is like these days - last time we used it we just rolled-in and paid on the gate.
Those were the days, eh?

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Mr Toad
CA Veteran

Carrefour will provide!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 08:04:34 pm »

Ahhh, the old motorhome debate...

Robbo - just to set the record straight, a 36ft Infinity double slide home with 7.5kw generator is not a "camper" in our books!!! Wink

I think you need to know which campsite you will be using before you decide. Houx is only one with full hook up. Hook up on MB is subject to suitable bribes to various toilet block attendants, Smokie, George, Mark, Tracy and others!!

Unless you have a hire budget of £3-4k, a decent on board generator with any gumption will not be possible.

So, I suggest if you have no hook up (likely) go for a transit van motorhome type (known as a C class). This will have gas fridge, gas water heater and plug in should power be available. Cost maybe £1-1.5k Add a hired genny for £150 and use this for power for stereo, pool fountain, fairy lights etc. Only down side is noise, but you won't notice after Staurday anyway...

Re: water, most folk will offer you a top up from a nearby hose in exchange for a cold beer from the fridge in your 'home. Otherwise bring a tap splitter and a long hose, say 60m minimum with jubilee clip on the end so you can install semi permanently.

Best of luck

www.beermountain.com - Home of the LM Camping Survival Guide!
smuudge
CA Veteran

I'm not a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2004, 03:05:19 pm »

Well ive booked us a place in 'Houx' and 'Houx Annexe' if not, so if its the second choice then the generator looks like it will come in handy! Whats the likely hood of getting into 'Houx' now? cheers
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2004, 07:21:36 pm »

Whats the likely hood of getting into 'Houx' now? cheers

If you haven't book Houx already then...  Cry .......

Steve East Anglian cobras

smuudge
CA Veteran

I'm not a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2004, 08:56:11 pm »

well i sent in my provisional booking for HOUX in last week, was just wondering what the chances of getting a space will be..
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2004, 09:45:26 pm »

I don't think they'll let you on Houx Annexe with an RV.
As for Houx, if you haven't already done so, you might want to request that now. But don't get in a panic about it - invariably tickets come up on this site and others nearer race weekend, as people's plans change.
A motorhome definitely makes Le Mans a more civilised experience, even though it is a quite expensive option. The shower and shitter are worth the money on their own.
Also, if you're renting, you've got to look after that sucker. If you crash it, trash it or even take it back in a grimy state, the rental company will stiff you good style (I speak from bitter experience). Once the party starts, it's easy to forget what expensive vehicles they are.
As ever, the important challenge is keeping your beer cold - an RV fridge won't cut-it, unless you can manage on just a couple of cans an hour.  

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
smuudge
CA Veteran

I'm not a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2004, 09:55:48 pm »

Aha that could be a problem! Ive allready put Houx Annexe down as the second choice for our campsite (submitted the booking last week)....

Ive made everyone aware of the wagon, and how much sh** we could get in if its damaged, so im hoping theyve all listened! Weve had to put a £500 deposit down on it.

Our check list allready has 4 extra cold storage boxes on it! :-)

Should i change our second choice for the the campsite or wait for them to get back to me? (they are aware of the fact we have a motorhome)

Thanks!
Ben

Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2004, 04:09:28 pm »

Hi Ben
I wouldn't sweat it right now. Last year we booked Houx for 2004 during the race weekend - and they assigned us Beausejour, which is somewhwere near Poland, so we blobbed it and they then offered Technoparc. We didn't really want that either - however, a good man and regular contributor on this forum (JP Chenet) had a few Houx tickets spare, a month before the race, which he kindly punted our way.
I think you'll find Houx availability nearer the event, whatever the ACO offer you.
I'd be surprised if your # 1 choice is offered right now. Houx is very popular, because of it's facilities and close proximity to the action - but it's way too early to be worrying about it just yet, in my opinion.
Maybe others have the definitive - but I'm fairly certain that Houx Annexe is cars and tents only. I think you'd be OK with a van-based camper - but not an RV. As I mentioned earlier, I'd be inclined to ask for Chapelle as 2nd choice. It's dedicated to RV's and is right on the infield next to Dunlop bridge - great if you can handle the noise and crowds of foot traffic passing through.

smuudge
CA Veteran

I'm not a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2004, 07:15:49 pm »

Thanks for that, ive stuck a email into the ACO asking if we can change our second choice campsite to be safe....
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2004, 01:37:41 pm »

I had a walk round Houx Annexe last year trying to find some kit cars and the sataliette man.

The only RV's i found were 4 in a corner, who were the Autopsort team ( do the radio) which would probably be right.

Take life by the horns and live it.
smuudge
CA Veteran

I'm not a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2004, 01:49:52 pm »

Just got a email back from ACO re: Houx Annexe, and they do allow RV's in, but no hook ups available which i was aware of......do you think its worth changing our second choice campsite from Houx Annexe to something else or wait and see what they come up with?
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2004, 02:39:39 pm »

IMO it seems a bit of a lottery which site you get. Last year Beasejour seems to be the fallback site wherever they couldn't give people their choice.

Last year there seemed to be a glut of most kinds of tickets, as certain auction sites had camping tickets selling, some UNDER face value, right up until the off. But the year before all sites were attracting premiums IIRC.

I suspect that due to "the system" many people over-order then let the spares go, either to mates or by other means.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: