Club Arnage
May 22, 2024, 03:20:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worth taking a Scanner ?  (Read 4924 times)
DeanoX
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2005, 08:25:04 pm »

For no apparent reason my parents have just bought me a Radio Scanner for my birthday. Now I've been to Le Mans for the last 3 years and I'm sure I've seen people wandering about with radio scanners - but does anyone know if its worth taking ?

Can you pickup much pit-car traffic ? Are the common team frequencies published at all ?

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 09:06:42 pm by DeanoX » Logged
Mr Toad
CA Veteran

Carrefour will provide!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 08:56:17 pm »

Funny you should say that - I was thinking the same... as a radio ham novice, from MB campsite would one be able to hear anything? Or is it all scramled these days?

I recall seeing a pic of one of the Oreca Vipers a few years back with a mobile phone stuck to the dash, so imagine the normal pit radio signal range might be limited??? Huh

www.beermountain.com - Home of the LM Camping Survival Guide!
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 05:16:39 am »

Hi DeanoX,
                 Let me start by quoting a friend of mine on the topic of Scanners he said:" The most complicated piece of equipment I have ever tried to use"
If you know how to use it it is possible to find the frequencies the teams are using. I would suggest you not try and track more than 3 cars or you will go mad Roll Eyes
Scanner will pick up the Speed TV behind the scenes commentary, you hear the director counting them in etc as well as the commentary.Quite entertaining.
It can enhance the race if you have an interest in a particular car/ driver  Having said all that I do not take mine to Le Mans though I do take it to Sebring where i promise myself i really am going to,learn how to use the damn thing Cool
Canada Phil
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 03:25:18 pm »

I think someone on here once said all they were able to tune into were the catering people taking orders for more stale bread and the LM taxi companies. Guess you'd need to have a bit of patience to pick up the teams.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 06:22:13 pm »

though I do take it to Sebring where i promise myself i really am going to,learn how to use the damn thing Cool
Canada Phil

As one who as witnessed the maple leaf flagged Moose at a few race track around North America, I had always assumed that the red ear covers were permanent ear-warmers. When I raised this, Fax said, "No, that's Phil's scanner, he's intently listening in to the race tactics of one of the teams". So I went over, to offer him a beer in exchange for a quick go with this new-fangled technology. Much to my surprise, he was fast asleep. I've since discovered that in all probability, they are those noise cancelling efforts that Bose sell to eliminate airplane engine noise, out of 'SkyMall'...........

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 07:22:08 pm »

...........So I went over, to offer him a beer in exchange for a quick go with this new-fangled technology. Much to my surprise, he was fast asleep. ..........

Grin Very good.  It's all just a front then.

Steve East Anglian cobras

Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 12:21:42 am »

...........So I went over, to offer him a beer in exchange for a quick go with this new-fangled technology. Much to my surprise, he was fast asleep. ..........

Grin Very good.  It's all just a front then.

Hey It was a long race... Roll Eyes
Canada Phil
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: