Club Arnage
May 17, 2024, 02:45:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yesterday's shame  (Read 13145 times)
Robspot
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2005, 10:40:40 pm »

""sweat shops, whales and straight bananas.""

And square tomatoes to fit boxes!

As long as no-one tries to fit any in my box!!!

Wink

Box??? Am I playing cricket?
Am I bally not!

b

Come on Bill, it's time to go home now. Time for your glass of warm milk, that's right, leave the nice people alone  Grin

I always stay too long. Long enough for something to go wrong
Lancs Se7en
CA Veteran

I love it sideways

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2005, 10:56:02 am »

I say again

God save the £ and bring back Topic and dump the Snickers Bar

Bloody marvellous place old blighty and long may it remain in control (almost all) of its own destiny. ) Grin Grin Grin Grin

This is now a Marathon session about a subject that is at the top of the Topic list and yes the memory is faaaaaaaaaaaaaadddddddddddddddingggggggggggggg.

Bent bananas and Brussel sprouts and what about Coco Pops. We've forgotten about that one. BRING back the monkey I say and let him eat his COCO POPS in peace and quiet in good old Blighty
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 01:25:33 pm by Lancs Se7en » Logged

Does it really only have full throttle
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2005, 02:02:28 pm »

Ah, that feels better, nice milk. Steralised not yer Euro  type ho.......

Ooh sorry nearly got off on one again then...

Soon be able to get to France and forget all about being run by Brussells there  Grin

A fortnight today, 11.15 Speedferries, here we come.

Smiley

bill  

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
Mr. Invincible Mou
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2005, 12:12:42 am »

Looks like this was a great day for Paddy_NL as well.  Grin

Imagine having to change his flag this close to the event  Shocked Wink

Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2005, 04:23:05 pm »

is the idea of a single european state really so horrifying. the comments on this thread come across as bordering on xenophobic and racist.

this whole thing about sovereignty and 'God save the £' is ridiculuous. exactly why is the pound so important? can somebody explain why the pound gives us a sense of national identity? what excatly is the difference between one piece of metal (the pound) and another piece of metal (the euro)? once the euro has settled and interest rates are aligned, i see no reason why the UK should not adopt the euro.

Tink

I read this last week but didn't have time to reply.  So here it is now.

There is a huge problem IMHO in having the Euro, and a little bit of application of common sense and logic is necessary to understand why. A small understanding of basic economics is helpful too.

The whole problem as I see it is this. By giving up the pound we give up control of our economy. I agree that this would not necessarily be a (economic, if not political) problem if all the Eurozone economies were in harmony. However, they are not and probably never will be. By having one currency you must by default have only one interest rate. This means that when a country goes into recession (like Germany, France, Italy etc are at present then it is considered good practice to slacken restrictions on govt borrowing and reduce interest rates to stimulate the economy. However, there are several other countries in the eurozone who's economies are overheating badly i.e Spain Ireland etc and are being too sucessful and therefore inflationary. Ideally, their Govts would like to rein back on borrowing and raise interest rates to put a fiscal squeeze on the ecomomy. However, fiscal control has passed to M. Trichet and the European Central Bank and his job is to try to set a "one size fits all" interest rate. It does not work, as you would know if you have ever tried wearing one size fits all underpants. In the end, no-one is happy. The relative sucess of the British economy over the last ten odd years has largely been as a result of us being able to control and fine tune our interest rates to suit. I cannot see any logic or benefit in giving away this control.

Setting aside the "superstate" argument, clearly it is a pillar of democracy that there should be no taxation without representation. Handing over power to a bunch of un-elected european commissioners, who incidentally would also love to set our direct taxation rates too, cannot be deemed in anyway democratic.

I will forgive your naivety in such matters, you're obviously too young to remember, but I grew up in the seventies when this country was in serious economic decline. The whole place was (mis)ruled by the Unions who wielded massive power undemocratically. The lights used to go out regularly due to somebody being on strike somewhere, we had three day working weeks to conserve electricity and the whole population suffered. It was totally miserable and humiliating and it is why Thatcher was swept to power to sort it all out. Another relatively turbulent decade followed and wasn't much fun either, though I will concede it formed the foundation for our current prosperity. You may even bee too young to remember the ERM debacle in 1992, where my mortgage interest rate went from 10% to 15% overnight, basically because we were stuffed by the German Finance Ministry! We left the ERM and thankfully never got involved in the Euro as a result. The rest, as they say, is history. And a very good one too.

Fianlly, I have re-read this thread and I think your accusations of xzenophobia and racism are totally without foundation. Where is the "fear of foreigners" here? Fear of being ruled by unelected beaurocrats is actually quite admirable IMO. This is a very serious allegation to make of anyone and actually I reckon you probably own a few folk an apology.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Neal
CA Veteran

That's put the Halibut amongst the Iguanas

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2005, 06:30:59 pm »

Well said Andy in the early 90's I rember interest rates going up 4%
Kate Shaw
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2005, 07:11:08 pm »

We had that in the 1970s too (when I first graduated from University) and it took Ronald Reagan to sort it out, which he did within two years.  Jimmy Carter (Democrat) had told us the answer was to 'lower our expectations' and put on another sweater.

A country without control of its currency is like a wife with no access to cash save what her husband doles out.  It is a slave.
Rusty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2005, 08:57:33 pm »

I remember those times all too well Andy. It was also accompanied by being turned over by the 80's barrow boy business practices of the day ( bankrupt today, back in business tomorrow ) and losing enough money through those f**k*rs that would have easily run a Le Mans team of my own. Thankfully those times have long since passed, and some of those smash and grab businessmen have since met there maker.
Rusty Angry

The Brethren Rock
powermite
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2005, 10:18:24 pm »

you seem to know a lot about them going to meet their makers Rusty.Are you sure the Brethren didnt "lean"on a few people on your behalf?
PM
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: