Club Arnage
May 05, 2024, 09:35:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tour de France  (Read 11547 times)
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« on: October 24, 2003, 05:31:30 pm »

With the route for nexts years race anounced, (the time trial up Alp Huez looks good!), Has the race ever used the Sarthe circuit, I know it has used Spa in the recent past but don't know about Le Mans.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Mr. Rick
Club Arnage God

Mulsanne on a sunny June Sunday; it's a hard life!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2003, 08:07:51 pm »

Don't remember it happening and there is a separate mini -tour around the region in April-ish I think.

As for Spa, don't remember that either in recent years but the World Championships used a large part of the Zolder circuit last year.

2004 route is interesting for sure and should make for another exciting one!

Cheers

Rick
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2003, 08:48:00 pm »

A little confusion here.
Spa-Francorchamps was used in the 2003 Tour de France - that's the Tour de France Auto, for (historic) cars.
The Tour de France for cycling does not use circuits, with the exception of the final Sunday, when a circuit is used, once the competitors have arrived in Paris.
Gilles
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2003, 11:10:27 pm »

The tour de France may pass near to Le Mans in early july...
... but of course not on the circuit !!!

Le Mans is life, anything before and after is just waiting...

... it's not the taking part but the winning that counts !
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2003, 11:16:11 pm »

I'm pretty sure i remember them on eurosport one year covering them going down the straight. The commentator saying there 200mph slower than the cars.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2003, 10:11:38 am »

Checked over the weekend with some cycle racing nuts, Part of the spa track was used in the mid late 80's, in the same way that the mulsanne has been used. as Rhino has said.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2003, 12:46:22 pm »

Exactly - but not either circuit
Mr. Rick
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2003, 01:37:01 pm »

Yeah but I think what Nordic meant referred to the public roads.

My reference to Zolder was because during the World Championships they do go in "circuits/laps" and used part of Zolder circuit for that in 2002. (20 laps to be precise!)

I've often wondered myself if the Mulsanne had ever been used. I started following the Tour big time in the late 80s and had never seen it, although the TV coverage here has been minimal (daily highlights)until fairly recently. Thanks to Eurosport and Channel 4/ITV, recent years have led to a definite down turn in my daily productivity rate in July each year!!!

Grin
Gilles
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2003, 01:55:43 pm »

Yeah but I think what Nordic meant referred to the public roads.

My reference to Zolder was because during the World Championships they do go in "circuits/laps" and used part of Zolder circuit for that in 2002. (20 laps to be precise!)

I've often wondered myself if the Mulsanne had ever been used. I started following the Tour big time in the late 80s and had never seen it, although the TV coverage here has been minimal (daily highlights)until fairly recently. Thanks to Eurosport and Channel 4/ITV, recent years have led to a definite down turn in my daily productivity rate in July each year!!!

Grin

Is it due to the performance of an english-speaking guy or simply to an increasing personnal interest ?

I admit that they have use the mulsanne straight sometimes (in my memory, not for a long time) but never the Bugatti.

Maybe the Tour Cycliste de la Sarthe has already run on the Bugatti.

Le Mans is life, anything before and after is just waiting...

... it's not the taking part but the winning that counts !
Mr. Rick
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2003, 02:44:34 pm »

[attachment deleted by admin]
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2003, 08:36:14 am »

Actually, they used the whole circuit and not only parts of it. It was quite an event and you know that the Belgian are great fans of cycling.

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
Mr. Rick
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2003, 10:50:16 am »

It was a joy to watch too, having been to Zolder for the GP in 1981 and it brought memories flooding back!

How come Belgium has such great circuits???!!! I grew up near Brands so when the GP went to Silverbore I was mortified. Spent many a Sunday at the Kentish wonder drooling in the paddock (cycling to the circuit of course!!).

Ah, those were the days! No taxman on my back, no ties and no beer gut!!!
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2003, 02:34:03 pm »

And they held the world championships at goodwood one year, including a large part of the circuit.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
rcutler
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2003, 01:47:06 pm »

The Tour de France Organisers never reveal details of the exact route until about 3-4 weeks before the event for some reason. Those mid points could well be correct. The Le Mans Classic next year will be very close if not on the same weekend as the finish of the Tour De France.

This year I was in France doing the Centerenary celebrations by riding the full route (3000Km) of the 1903 tour de france in 11 days. We did pass very close to Le Mans Grin. Seem to have a reason to go to Le Mans every time I go to France, shame.
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2003, 10:13:40 am »

Have you read 'French Revolutions' by Tim Moore? a great read,It had me laughing out loud,
 if not, its his account of riding the entire route in the weeks preceding the race.

H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: