Club Arnage
May 14, 2024, 11:07:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: motorsport camera  (Read 16196 times)
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2007, 10:32:39 am »

Please stop talking about that lens, Steve!  Mr T was let out for a couple of days and came back with a D40.  The lens will be next.... Grin

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2007, 12:02:45 pm »

Please stop talking about that lens, Steve!  Mr T was let out for a couple of days and came back with a D40.  The lens will be next.... Grin

Grin  I've read on camera related forums that this is known as NAS - Nikon Acquisition Syndrome.  Not the D40x then?

Steve East Anglian cobras

Piglet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2007, 12:20:12 pm »

Is it the D40 or the D50 that you have to use only Nikon lenses on?    Seemed to me to put the cost of ownership up quite a lot?

If Jessops are still doing interest free credit I'd go for  a D200 - their price wasn't bad when we looked earlier in the year.  It's a much better camera and will probably last you longer.

I find a camcorder better - much easier to geta car in shot! 
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2007, 12:31:13 pm »

Is it the D40 or the D50 that you have to use only Nikon lenses on?    Seemed to me to put the cost of ownership up quite a lot?

As all our lenses are Nikkor it's not an issue.  The little thing looks a bit embarassed on the end of the fast zooms though! Grin
I like the camcorder, not for the picture quality but the sound.  Wow!  Something that is always sadly lost on official DVDs in favour of some old f*rt burbling on in a flat, uninterested monotone!

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2007, 12:38:04 pm »

Anita,
Not necessarily Nikon lenses, but the D40 / D40x has no body inbuilt focus motor, so, to retain full autofocus, you must use lenses with their own focus motor (such as Nikon's AF-S and Sigma's HSM)

D50 / D70 / D80 / D200 etc have a body inbuilt motor so can use AF lenses with or without their own focus motor.

alibongo
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2007, 11:20:09 pm »

Chris, I use a D50.  I'm pleased with my results from Sebring and Gainesville earlier this year.  Well worth the money.

I'd also recomend investing £340 in a Nikon 70-300 AF-S VR lens - very fast focusing / follow focusing and has vibration reduction.  I've found that 300mm is a better option than 200mm for us without media passes.

Hey Steve is that a good price then for the D50 body+bag+1gig card, am not sure how old it is? also what is the biggest SD card that can be used in this cam?

been there done that doing it again !
Trackside

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2007, 11:44:29 pm »

Hey Steve is that a good price then for the D50 body+bag+1gig card, am not sure how old it is? also what is the biggest SD card that can be used in this cam?
Hi Chris. If I can join in here, I use a D70 that I've had for a couple of years now. Coupled with a Nikon 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 ED lens, I've found that it's a great set-up. Some friends of mine use a D50 with a Sigma 300mm zoom and they're very pleased with their results. They have a 1gb card which holds around 600-odd photos if you select a fine quality. Their Sigma is a cheaper lens than my Nikon but has a macro setting, which mine doesn't!

For £200, buy it, get yourself a Sigma if you don't want to fork out for a Nikon lens, and go and point it something quick! It's the best way to practice. Oh, and have fun!  Grin
alibongo
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2007, 11:56:11 pm »

Yup have just e-mailed my buddy hopefully I will get it this w/e when he comes down from London, cheers guys  Grin Grin Grin

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2007, 11:59:38 pm »

Chris, I paid £510 last October for a D50 and a couple of standard lenses (18-55 and 55-200), so £200 is a fair price.

I use 2GB cards and have a 1GB as a spare.

Again, extra cards can be bought much cheaper than on the high street, see Jersey based http://www.mymemory.co.uk/SD-Card

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2007, 12:08:59 am »

I keep going on about this lens (it's only been on sale for about 5 months) http://www.ephotozineshop.com/photo/lenstech/nikon/70300vr.html (sorry Termie)

I've had good results with it for motorsport - £330 from http://www.ephotozineshop.com/ or similar (my local London Camera Exchange shop has it for £399!)

termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2007, 10:15:42 am »

B*st*rd!!! I just have to look now... I suffer from NAS a little myself you know (although I only have 2 as opposed to Mr T's god knows how many).
Ref the D70.  I use one all the time and it's been adequate to any task I have set it.  I borrowed Mr T's D2H for Ricard and although it had a lot of advantages, my it was heavy to cart about in the heat.  It was OK as I was lucky enough to be able to use the press shuttle but I don't know how I'd have felt carting it and a bag full of lenses round LM on a hot June weekend.

Edit : If you are interested in looking at the average pic from a D70, most of my better stuff is here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/97986095@N00/
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 10:22:58 am by termietermite » Logged

alibongo
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2007, 11:53:08 pm »

Looks like I had better get the credit card out.....this month is going to hurt, 4 new tyres on the pick-up and road tax, and 2 lots of ferry crossings too  Cry Cry Cry

termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2007, 10:13:53 am »

June is always a serious pain-in-the-wallet month but hey, it's what we live for isn't it? Wink

Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2007, 08:44:14 pm »

[/quote] If you are interested in looking at the average pic from a D70, most of my better stuff is here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/97986095@N00/
[/quote]

Mrs T,  some great shots there, much appreciated.

Jerry

At my age, it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night!!!!!!!!!!!
Then, growing old is compulsary, but growing up is just optional.

I don't do GREEN, I've got a 4x4
alibongo
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2007, 11:44:29 pm »

Hey nice piccys, as for June termie, every month is a pain in the wallet Cry

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: