Club Arnage
May 07, 2024, 07:02:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Staying at Tours - getting to/from track?  (Read 8743 times)
4kids3fish
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2005, 10:23:03 am »

Congrats on a really great forum - just what LM newbies need to survive!

Can anyone give advice on getting to/from the track over the weekend from the Tours area? We (Mum (to be confirmed!), Dad & 2 teenage boys) are staying at Ambois but would like to get to the track sometime on Saturday and get back again for most of Sunday.

We have car, but thought it may be much easier using shuttle bus or train, if they exist???

Thanks.
Ron Jeremy
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 10:33:11 am »

1. go in car
2. sleep in car
3. pitch tent or bivi in car park or in circuit
4. use hotel as a base

we did it last year and plenty of people around us in the car park just pitched a tent no one seemed to mind, others just walked into site with rucksacs and tents and just put them up, one chap got an air bed put it next to his TVR and went to sleep. Bit of a rough way to do it, we're more organise this year - actually taking sleeping bags

and i was rummaging around in the loft, when i found an original copy of the bible.....which was nice
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 10:43:43 am »

2. sleep in car

Last year I slept from 6 to 9 against the fence at the Porsche Curve. Simply took a sleeping bag, which was good enough in last years' weather. Have to say the wakening is something special, even though women might not be too convinced about that.

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 04:23:51 am »

Hi 4Kids3fish,
                    Take the N138 North.Just before you get to Mulsanne Village Turn Left on D212 pass through village of Monce-en-Belin take the D307 to Arnage village then follow signs for the track.(right at the roundabout) This  gets you to the main entrance for tickets etc. i suggest this route as the Oneway system is in place for traffic going from the main entrance to Arnage corner and on to Mulsanne corner.
Sleeping beside the car in Mulsanne corner parking is another option.
Canada Phil

SpriteII
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005, 09:48:24 am »

Ideally a reserved parking space would be useful to you.  A month ago the ACO still had spaces in the Expo reserved parking.  Nice to know you can come and go and get a decent space.  If the ACO are out then keep an eye on the adverts here and eb*y, especially the latter in the last few weeks beforehand.

Our 'model' is normally to stay about an hour away and then have reserved parking, normally sleeping in the car the night of the race though with kids you'll probably drive back I guess.

As I've said in another thread recently I first started going with my Dad in my late teens and I treasure the memories so you are doing absolutely the right thing.  If it helps swing "Mum's" decision my Mum and girlfriend both love the race are often the ones who start the ball rolling by saying "are we going to Le Mans next year?".
4kids3fish
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 05:32:38 am »

Thanks all.

So there's no organised shuttle-bus service to neighbouring towns during the race?

If not it's a pity - such a system is often used here in Sydney for major events (Olympics, football finals, etc), starting from all the major centres about 1 hour away. Most people prefer it (or direct train) to driving & trying to park.
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 09:43:03 am »

Thanks all.

So there's no organised shuttle-bus service to neighbouring towns during the race?

If not it's a pity - such a system is often used here in Sydney for major events (Olympics, football finals, etc), starting from all the major centres about 1 hour away. Most people prefer it (or direct train) to driving & trying to park.

Ah yes, but that would be far too sensible. The French prefer to cause total chaos by making 250,000 drive to the circuit, and then change the one way systems every couple oif years to stop you gettuing too familar with them as well!! Best way is to get there early (Sunday or Monday) and leave late (Monday)  Grin
Gilles
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 04:52:52 pm »

Thanks all.

Ah yes, but that would be far too sensible. The French prefer to cause total chaos by making 250,000 drive to the circuit, and then change the one way systems every couple oif years to stop you gettuing too familar with them as well!! Best way is to get there early (Sunday or Monday) and leave late (Monday)  Grin

For the mot race they innoavetd with an unique single-way entrance inside the circuit. i jsut hope they won't have trhe same idea in june !!!

Le Mans is life, anything before and after is just waiting...

... it's not the taking part but the winning that counts !
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 12:47:25 am »

For the mot race they innoavetd with an unique single-way entrance inside the circuit. i jsut hope they won't have trhe same idea in june !!!

Hi gilles, Now that sounds really scary.
Canada Phil
GT5S_1985
CA Veteran

I'm a llama! and damn proud of it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 02:53:52 pm »

Thanks all.

No organized shuttle that I know of. Not only that, the N138, which goes between Tours and Le Mans, is a 2-lane, somewhat slow road with limited opportunity to pass. I come from the South every year, and look at the kilometers remaining to Le Mans and think I am making great time. Then I hit Tours, and those last, what, 70 km? take forever. I'd think about finding someplace in the city of Le Mans, or perhaps someplace serviced by the trains? (the TGV goes to Le Mans).
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2005, 05:44:47 pm »

Thanks all.

Hang on! Amboise (I think that's where you are staying) is NOT an hour away from the circuit. It's 15 miles from Tours, which itself is 40 miles from the circuit by road and quite a bit more via the town of Le Mans.
Are you saying that an equivalent event (200,000 visitors) would have a direct shuttle in Australia from a small town that far away in Australia? Come to think of it there would be nothing between the two towns in Australia.
I can give you directions via public transport if you like  - Canada Phil has already done the direct road bit for you - but please chill out. LM has nothing to do with the Olympics, and very little to do with football.
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2005, 06:24:41 pm »

or perhaps someplace serviced by the trains? (the TGV goes to Le Mans).

Arnage train station is within walking distance of the circuit if you can find somewhere on the same route.
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2005, 07:04:16 pm »

Yes. You can take a train Amboise - Arnage and even hire a cycle at Arnage station. Only takes about 1 hour 30 mins and cost a tenner GBP a head, excluding the cycle.
4kids3fish
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2005, 05:37:24 am »

I can give you directions via public transport if you like  - Canada Phil has already done the direct road bit for you - but please chill out. LM has nothing to do with the Olympics, and very little to do with football.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Kpy I'm chilled already!  I'm just a bit surprised that, since any accommodation is so hard to get at LM, there aren't link buses from towns to the N/S/E/W of the circuit.  It sure can help cut down the traffic.  Anyway, no problems.  We'll still be there!

Need some advice re parking at Mulsanne.
It seems the carpark closest to Tours but do you have to go first up to the main entrance to get your race/parking tickets and then drive back to the Mulsanne carpark (ugh!), or can you buy all tickets down at the Mulsanne end?

Finally, what's the chances of getting another parking spot early Sunday morning? We can't stay overnight at the track so have to leave & come back.  Am I pissing in the wind???

I'm happy to walk a few k's, but any good tips on how to get into parking from Tours & back out again without having to go all around the "one-way loop" after the race would probably be worth a case of beer or 2!!
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2005, 08:45:47 pm »

Sorry if my advice wasn't clear. There's loads of public transport in the area, but with the traffic and 200,000 visitors ..........
Whatever you do DO NOT park at Mulsanne and expect to be part of the action. You can buy any car park tickets on the day by turning up at the car park entrance. No point in buying tickets for more than one car park (tickets are valid all weekend). Bleu is best if you want to come and go (my opinion).
Have fun.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: