Club Arnage
May 07, 2024, 04:49:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie going to Le Mans Classic  (Read 20242 times)
69volvo1800

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2006, 05:45:36 pm »

Hi all,

Great forum, I've been getting a kick out of reading some of the threads.  I'm from Canada and will be backpacking europe on my honeymoon with my main lady...  We're going to go to the Le Mans Classic in July!  I've always loved vintage racing, and am hoping to some day race my volvo 1800s (my pa won't let me race his jag xk150S or E-type... damn)

Was hoping for some advice...  I've never been to Le Mans, and have no clue about where to stay.  I would love to camp, but would need to track down a tent.  Any suggestions?  Will I even be able to get camping tickets at this late a date?

Are there any hostels or cheap accomodations for the budget concious?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
Andrew Y
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 07:06:24 pm »

Andrew,
I would suggest, to get a better feel for the atmosphere of the place (and be right on top of the racing) you camp.

There's a huge Carrefour hypermarket a couple of minutes bus ride in to town that has cheap camping equipment.

The Classic is not so much of a frantic, booze fueled, busy event as the main 24 Hours.  I'm sure you'll be given a hearty welcome.
My crowd will be 20 strong at this years Classic plus they'll be other CA'ers in the same camp site.

Steve East Anglian cobras

69volvo1800

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 07:36:00 pm »

Thanks Steve...

Any idea how much a cheap cheap 1-time use tent would run me at the carrefour market?

Also...  The site lists 70E for camping.  Would that be per person, or per campsite?

Cheers
Piglet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 08:36:03 pm »

Hi Andrew

That sounds like a fantastic honeymoon and sounds like an excuse for a CA party!! 

I'd have thought you could get a cheap tent for well under 50 euros at Carrefour.  The other place to try is Decathlon (sports store) - they'll be one of these in pretty well every french town you find.   

The camping ticket is an interesting question.  The pass allows you to get one car into the campsite.  In theory there is no requirement for a pass if your on foot, although you'll need general admittance tickets for each of you to get into the campsite as it is "inside the wall". 

Maison Blanche is not marked out as pitches, it's a case of turning up and getting yourself some space and if you don't have a car then you don't need a pass! 

I'm not sure what day the campsite is open from for the Classic but it would be sensible to get down to Le Mans a couple of days before the event.  The locality is lovely, Le Mans town is a really nice place and there are lots of things that you can wander around and a really nice market to buy seafood at!   

You'll either need to buy yourself a cheap BBQ at Carrefour or you'll need to make friends on here and find one of the groups who'll share with you! 

Stick around here for the next few months and they'll be lots more info about the Classic. 

edited to say:  I second the vote for camping. It's great to be close to the action.  The other advantage is that you've got somewhere to chill out in the shade if it's as hot as it was in 2004.

Also - I'm a girl, there are a number of us who'll "do" le mans so your wife won't be completely a token female if she's worried about it being a "bloke" event.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 08:38:43 pm by Piglet » Logged
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 09:21:39 pm »

Also - I'm a girl, there are a number of us who'll "do" le mans so your wife won't be completely a token female if she's worried about it being a "bloke" event.

Yes, as Piglet mentioned, of the 20 in my group, at least 3 will be of the fairer sex.

Steve East Anglian cobras

Ferrari Spider
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 09:37:47 pm »

Yes, as Piglet mentioned, of the 20 in my group, at least 3 will be of the fairer sex.

Does that mean they are proper girls or just fussy boys;D
69volvo1800

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 09:54:21 pm »

Hey!

He he...  Thanks all...  especially piglet for the tip about the camping!  My fiance will be happy to hear there will be a few companions!  She's a great girl...  We've entered a couple classic car rallies, she drives while I navigate.  She's even agreed to drive around in a Jag XK150s on our wedding day.  Hope she doesn't mind the wind messing her hair!

Unfortunately I don't think we can get to the track before friday...  We are coming all the way from Interlaken, Switzerland that day.

Hopefully we'll be able to find a few square feet to throw a tent on the friday!

Another question...  How many of you purchase grandstand tickets?

Cheers
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 10:15:57 pm »

Another question...  How many of you purchase grandstand tickets?

Cheers

It's woth paying the bit extra for the Grandstands and Paddock, with the grandstand it is a roving ticket instead of a dedicated seat, so all of the fixed Grandstands are open? I believe.

Last time we used the ACO grandstand most because it has a bar/cafe' plus the best loo's.  Good place to sit when it is hot for a chill out, tv set's runiing with commentary so you shouldn't miss anything.

Someone will now post and tell me this is all Gibberish!!
Piglet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 10:20:59 pm »

I haven't booked grandstand tickets for this year but hopefully we'll have media access  Grin

It's deff. worth paying extra for Paddock access and if you're going to do this I think you've got to book by June. 

I'm not sure what the deal is with Grandstick tickets for the Classic and whether they're roaming or not. 

For the 24 hour a grandstand ticket is a lifeline and avoids you having to sit for hours in the sun to get a good view of the start/finish but for the classic as there are starts every hour it's not the same but unless you're on a budget I think it's probably worth stumping up for one if only for some shelter.

Getting there on the Friday shouldn't be a problem - you're only likely to have a small tent and I'm sure they'll be someone who can find you a corner if you struggle.
Doris
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Eating's Cheating!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 01:32:52 pm »

Any idea how much a cheap cheap 1-time use tent would run me at the carrefour market?

Hi Andrew,

Our lot picked up a tent last year from the Carrefour for about 25 euro (if memory serves me correctly).  That was for a two bedroom four man tent so by my reckoning a smaller one would be even cheaper.

See you in July.

D

Live imperfectly and with great delight.
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 01:35:30 pm »

As far as I remember at the last Classic, the grandstand seats weren't roving, you had to stay in your allocated stand, however seats themselves were not allocated.
As far as I read the application form for tickets, like the last Classic, if you apply before a certain date, Grandstands are free.
Paddock tickets are a must as far as I'm concerned.
There was still plenty of space on MB on Friday, and as far as I know you can just walk into the site with your tent, no ticket required, except for general admittance. If there was a problem I am sure that someone from CA could run out in their car and get you through into the site.

Another girlie with me for their second Classic Smiley

Andrew, if you would like a copy of the ticket application form which explains prices etc, PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy of it.
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 01:50:27 pm »

I knew someone would know about the grandstands.  Thanks Barry.
gibberish
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Old Smoothy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 03:00:45 pm »

Someone will now post and tell me this is all Gibberish!!

Not at all Peter.............that's ME.  ACO granstand tickets in 2004 came free with ACO membership passes when buying entry tickets.  I remember being with Steve Brown when he got ours.   Wink

Reality is an illusion caused by alchohol deficiency!
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2006, 03:19:23 pm »

Gibb, good to see you on the forum, any chance of visit to the sarthe' and a feel of your knee, me ole' mate!!
gibberish
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Old Smoothy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2006, 04:23:50 pm »

My dear boy..........Knees are now absolutely fine, and being felt regularly by my new lady, thak you very much.  Don't think I'm going to make the classic this year, but will definately be at the 24.  Catch me if you can Kiss

Reality is an illusion caused by alchohol deficiency!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: