Club Arnage
May 16, 2024, 08:21:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where am I from ?  (Read 12264 times)
SmithA
CA Veteran

smithytours.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2005, 08:34:04 am »

Oh my god i have just found out i am a northener !!!!

LM 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07 - LMS Silverstone 05 - Donington 06 - Jarama 06 - Monza 07 - Valencia 07 - Silverstone 07
pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2005, 02:52:22 pm »

Isn't somebody going to mention the sheep worrying in Wales.

I'd love to but as an Englisman living in Wales I fear I must tread carefully...

Where is Powermite when you need him??

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
amazing 1
Uncle Pervy Welshman
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Male Underwear Super Model Two BEERS Please

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2005, 04:12:54 pm »

I am having a lot of fun with this.Just ran my mothers maiden name and guess what,shes English. HAH Shocked Isn't that great.I could be kin to royalty,or maybe a court jester.I suddenly have a feeling of importance.And I do like sheep! There I said it! Shocked It is great to be a Welsh/Brit! ;DNow for some of my
favorite thing, BINGE DRINKING . OhYEEAAHH!

TURN 10 "YOUR SPOT IN THE SUN"

GO SHANE GO!!!

GO TEAM IMPALA GO !!!
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2005, 04:55:14 pm »

"I could be kin to royalty,or maybe a court jester"

Which are pretty much the same thing these days... Smiley
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2005, 05:35:16 pm »

They also have a village called Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwll-Llantysilio-gogogoch on the island of Anglesey. I kid you not. It's the longest place name in Britain. (If you want to pronounce it, phonetically, it goes something like: Thlan-fair-pwill-gwin-gill-gogery-churn-drobwith-thlanty-sillyo-gok-gok-gok.)

It is now many years since theu closed down the railway there, but when a train stopped at the station the porter would cry out "Anybody in there for here?"

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2005, 04:19:39 am »

They also have a village called 
It is now many years since theu closed down the railway there, but when a train stopped at the station the porter would cry out "Anybody in there for here?"

Hi Andy is it true the name board at the station was longer than the platform? Huh
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2005, 12:14:45 pm »

Translated, Llanfair PG means "St Mary's church in the hollow of the white hazel near a rapid whirlpool and the church of St Tysilio near the red cave". Bit of a mouthful either way then.

Interestingly, "
The name was contrived in the  1860s by the village council, specifically for the privilege and prestige of having "the longest name of a railway station in  Great Britain". It could not be considered an authentic word in  Welsh.

A reasonable attempt at a pronunciation would be Clan vire pulth gwinn gith gor gerrick win drob uth clan tay see lee oh go go gogch. (The "gch" in the final syllable is the "glottal h" sound, similar to the sound used in the  Yiddish "l'chaim". Saying gok glottally produces more or less the same effect.) Two lls can be pronounced either as 'cl' or 'l', or more precisely as an 'l', while passing air around the tongue (try blowing while saying "l")."

My mum could say it - but then she was a bit Welsh.

The official web site is here http://www.llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.co.uk/
and is the longest domain name on the internet (so they say).

Here's some crappy pics and info re the station from the official web site. http://tinyurl.com/cmz8u
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: